Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do others have the same view with their cameras when using the Park Assist and the front camera in Auto? Not sure why there would be a black bar in the middle of the screen. It appears to me that I can barely make out what the black bar is covering. The birds eye to the right seems to show what the bar is hiding.

I have attached two pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do others have the same view with their cameras when using the Park Assist and the front camera in Auto? Not sure why there would be a black bar in the middle of the screen. It appears to me that I can barely make out what the black bar is covering. The birds eye to the right seems to show what the bar is hiding.

I have attached two pics.
I get the same view ..and have the same grip. I dont know what that black bar is or why it would be put there. I have noticed that it is not entirely opaque - it is like heavily tinted glass/plexiglass. You can make that out if/when u use that camera in bright sunlight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Probably because that black bar is what's in front of the car and you should be looking up, not at the screen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nope. Why would you be looking at a screen for what is right in front of you?
I use it to view things that are obscured from my view by the hood (Ex. How far forward can I pull into a parking space). Obviously, its used only at very low speeds.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Probably is a result of the camera field of view. If I had to guess the front camera covers about 120 degrees. The sweet spot is going to be focused (pun intended) on the ground and areas you can't see from the drivers seat. To fill in that blank spot you would need a second camera. Because of added cost and the fact you can pretty much see what's missing there isn't one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Because probably unlike you, I am interested what I cannot see near the front of the car. Unfortunately I was not born with X-Ray vision! Fun and games.
Well that's too bad, your parents should have paid for the upgrade.

Seriously, if you actually take a LOOK at the black bar and what it covers, it's the area from about the hood up. What is obscured (below the hood) is present in the view, did you even look at the screen shots you uploaded?

Staring at the screen to drive around or park is just as bad as walking down the street, texting on your phone and not watching where you're going. I like modern technology, but there's no excuse for not paying attention and being responsible for what you're doing.

Also think of this, if it didn't have the black bar, some schmuck will figure out a way to turn the screen on full-time, drive down the road by only watching the screen, hit something, and try and sue Toyota because they will claim they couldn't see X in the screen. Now Toyota can say (well first you disabled the low-speed control) we blacked it out so it couldn't be used for that purpose.

20 years ago we drove around and didn't have screens in our cars at all and we managed just fine. Imagine that!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use it to view things that are obscured from my view by the hood (Ex. How far forward can I pull into a parking space). Obviously, its used only at very low speeds.
Those things obscured from your view aren't covered by the black bar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts