Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace this switch, anyone know who make's this system?
New here been over at the Corvette Forum for years Hope the photos come out Thanks Switch 1.jpg

Ultra.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
I need to replace this switch, anyone know who makes this system?
I've been on this forum for years and have never seen or heard of a Park Assist system. Hopefully another member has.
Isn't the manufacturer listed somewhere on the pictured paperwork?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
This is not a Toyota system--it is aftermarket. You would need to find out the manufacturer's name in order to get a replacement switch. There should be a module wired to the switch that might have a name on it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The picture shows the same switch that I had installed on my 2008 Limited. I ordered the system at the time I purchased and found is was a dealer installed accessory. I think the operators add on manual (in the OPs 2nd image) will have Toyota on the page header or footer IIRC.

I believe the switch is just a typical momentary push button switch that can purchased in locations like Radio Shack. However if the connector on the backside is anything more than a couple of individual slide on connectors, then you may require an exact match.

You may also require a switch that has more "poles" (contacts) than the one in my photo, which is a single pole, single throw (SPST switch).

It looks like I can see 4 contacts within your switch, so it could be a DPST switch.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The 2008 system was simply 4 ultrasonic emitters/detectors mounted in the rear bumper. When you backed up towards an object, the beeping in the vehicle's interior would increase in frequency. When you were about 6" from an object the tone would be steady.

The purpose of the push button was to disable the tone. I had to use this occasionally when snow covered the sensors and caused a continuous beep.

The system was powered whenever the transmission was put in reverse. If the system was silenced with a momentary push of the button, it was automatically active again the next time the transmission was put in the reverse.

This system was a great benefit when parallel parking. Normally I would lose site of the bumper of the rearward car when still 12' away. The parking sensors would let me reliably backup to within 4" of that car. I found it easier to use than the camera I currently have on my new vehicle, because I can have my head turned to the rear and still know how far away I was. Looking backwards when backing up just seemed more intuitive to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You all for the input! I'll try and get under dash see I can get a name, would like the same switch that says what it is.
Robert

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
would like the same switch that says what it is.
I don't know if the plastic label was supposed to be held by an adhesive backing, but on my 2008, the plastic label was just held on by the nut that holds the switch. I could lift the edges of the circular label with my fingernails.

If I recall, the original switch was all black, and the nut was round and knurled compared to the shiny finish and hex shaped nut in my image. Something like the black switch in this image.

It looks like you have already popped the switch from the dashboard, so maybe you could post a picture of the connector and the switch contacts. That might make it easier to locate a replacement.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The 2008 system was simply 4 ultrasonic emitters/detectors mounted in the rear bumper. When you backed up towards an object, the beeping in the vehicle's interior would increase in frequency. When you were about 6" from an object the tone would be steady.
The purpose of the push button was to disable the tone. I had to use this occasionally when snow covered the sensors and caused a continuous beep.
The system was powered whenever the transmission was put in reverse. If the system was silenced with a momentary push of the button, it was automatically active again the next time the transmission was put in the reverse.
This system was a great benefit when parallel parking. Normally I would lose site of the bumper of the rearward car when still 12' away. The parking sensors would let me reliably backup to within 4" of that car. I found it easier to use than the camera I currently have on my new vehicle, because I can have my head turned to the rear and still know how far away I was. Looking backwards when backing up just seemed more intuitive to me.
Duh! Now that you explained it, my 2010 RAV has it. It's called Digital Backup Sensor, opt code PP6. Mine was apparently dealer installed as it's not on the window sticker. By the way, I bought my RAV as an early lease return, CPO with 8k on it.
As long as I'm here....haven't been able to find the original selling dealer for my RAV. It's dealer code is 31179. Anybody?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Duh! Now that you explained it, my 2010 RAV has it. It's called Digital Backup Sensor, opt code PP6. Mine was apparently dealer installed as it's not on the window sticker. By the way, I bought my RAV as an early lease return, CPO with 8k on it.
As long as I'm here....haven't been able to find the original selling dealer for my RAV. It's dealer code is 31179. Anybody?
Register your VIN at toyota.com/owners. Check the service history and it will show the selling dealer and when the pre-delivery inspection was done, as well as all dealer servicing.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Register your VIN at toyota.com/owners. Check the service history and it will show the selling dealer and when the pre-delivery inspection was done, as well as all dealer servicing.
LOL! Here I've been recommending doing this to many posters on here. Although I've registered my RAV on that site, I never looked through it closely. Now I know the original selling dealer, who by the way, installed those digital back up sensors.:nerd
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You all Rock! thanks for your time.
JuneBug, James great idea, I pulled a carfax and called one of the dealer they didn't have it in file, will see what other site comes up with.
Rick, It's a 2 pole HB-15C under that # is 01a30v. Did yours have an LED Light or just the button?
Robert

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It's a 2 pole HB-15C under that # is 01a30v. Did yours have an LED Light or just the button?
Robert
According to the spec sheet for that switch, (actually the HB-15CK is the round , black switch) it is considered a single pole, double throw (SPDT) which means it has 3 contacts.

So if you can't find a source for the exact switch, any SPDT momentary push button switch will do.

Mine did not have a light in the switch, nor was the backing plate illuminated, since it was just a blank filler plate that the dealer drilled in to install the push button. However you can purchase lighted push button switches, but you will have to run additional wiring to make it operate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts