Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2016 Rav4 Hybrid Limited purchased in June. On July29 the Parking Assist camera (front camera) started turning on whenever I braked to a slow speed or stop. That is, the dashboard monitor would change from whatever was being displayed (audio, nav, etc) to the outside front camera Parking Assist view. The monitor returned to the normal display as soon as I accelerated again. This continued throughout the day, every day, until Aug 3 when it started working correctly again (camera only turned on when I pressed the button on top of the dash to turn it on.

Since Aug 3 I had no problems until yesterday (Aug 16) when it happened again during my morning commute. The front camera turned on while slowing down and turned off after accelerating. During the afternoon commute it worked correctly again.

I took a picture of this to be able to show Toyota but because this is so intermittent, they may not be able to diagnose and fix the problem.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and what suggestions you may have.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
That sounds like normal operation according to the attached pages from the owners manual. Automatic display can be turned on by pressing the button labelled as #3 in the diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks Rick! I must have been pressing that button #3 while playing around trying to figure out what was going on, not realizing exactly what it does. Of course it would have helped if I read the manual! Looks like there's no problem after all. I appreciate your help with this!

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's a very good features to have it on auto for city driving and parking! But better turn it off when you're using navigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a very good features to have it on auto for city driving and parking! But better turn it off when you're using navigation.
I agree that for parking it's quite handy. For that I find it easy to press the switch on top of the dash to turn the camera on. But personally I found it very distracting to have the display keep switching to the camera view every time I slowed down and switch back off as I sped up. But at least we have the choice to use it as we all find best.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree that for parking it's quite handy. For that I find it easy to press the switch on top of the dash to turn the camera on. But personally I found it very distracting to have the display keep switching to the camera view every time I slowed down and switch back off as I sped up. But at least we have the choice to use it as we all find best.

For someone who lived in NYC, there is slots of tight one way double parking, and waiting for these guys to go is not a option since people will beep at you if you stopped, so with this thing on I'll try to pass the car slowly with the bird eye view camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well she quickly told me to turn it off when I got home. She hates it :lol: I think it's neat, but she drives the car 80% of the time so her wish is my command

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Well she quickly told me to turn it off when I got home. She hates it :lol: I think it's neat, but she drives the car 80% of the time so her wish is my command
I do think it can be distracting, until you get used to it. I am still in the process of deciding.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I do think it can be distracting, until you get used to it. I am still in the process of deciding.
Try it out. You paid for it. Might even like it. It's something new that us seniors are not familiar. :wink

Reactions: blueumbrella
1 - 10 of 10 Posts