Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hybrid Limited on order and am trying to determine how the parking assist will work for my wife, when she backs out of the garage. I am looking at page 195 of the Navigation Owner’s Manual (OM42A43U). On this page it discusses the view of the vehicle width, but seems to indicate that it only shows it in D and N. Is there a view which will show the width of the vehicle when in reverse and moving so she can better see if she is getting too close to the side of the garage door? Perhaps all this would be clearer if we had the car and could use the Assist function, but I am trying to learn what I can before the car arrives.

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
I just posted this in the Advanced Tech Package thread.

Parking assist is well covered in the Hybrid manual on page 268, it's similar to the Tundra video except there's no button, control is in the MID(multi-info display). You can download the manual.

Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Park assist

The operative word in your sentence is "well". I saw all that in the user manual, but it is also discussed in the other one I mentioned. However, in both manuals and the video, there does not seem to be anything regarding any side information when in reverse. In reverse all that is shown is what is behind the car--not how close the car would be to the side of the garage. Am I missing something??

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
Download the Hybrid manual at the link I provided, it has more detail on parking assist starting on page 268 than the Navigation manual has, the panoramic view camera in the optional Advanced Tech Package shows what's on the sides of the vehicle which displays on the 7" screen.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you get the advanced technology package it has the "birds eye view with perimeter scan" that does exactly what you want.

Without that package, I think there is a basic warning system if you get too close to objects on the front, rear and corners.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Forget the cameras, they are just distraction. The parking assist gives you visual and audible alerts to the distance from close objects. Starts beeping and flashing at about 18", then increases at 12" and finally goes berserk at 6". Closer than 6" and you're on your own. You can adjust the sensitivity for the center front and rear sensors but the corner sensors are not adjustable.

Works in the front when in "D" and works in the rear when in "R". The system is perfect for garages. Its all covered in the manual but once you use it a few times it becomes more clear.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The camera views are helpful but there is a very slight learning curve (not much) getting used to them. With the cameras the rear sensors don't add much, but the front sensors do if your swing is about to hit the car beside you, the warning is helpful. With all the gizmos, the Limited is the best vehicle I have owned for back up assist, this statement includes 3 BMW's.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I agree that it describes the function, but in the other manual it seems to indicate that when in reverse only the back of the car is shown. I am getting the Advanced technology package, but it and my picture of the window sticker on the Hybrid Limited does not indicate anything about Intuitive Parking Assist. That feature is only listed in the user and navigation manual. I found this video on Intuitive Parking Assist and I can only hope it is on the Rav. Intuitive parking assist.......on rav4 - Bing video

·
Registered
218 Posts
We don't get the Intelligent Parking Assist which actually controls the steering wheel while you park.

Yes, I agree that it describes the function, but in the other manual it seems to indicate that when in reverse only the back of the car is shown. I am getting the Advanced technology package, but it and my picture of the window sticker on the Hybrid Limited does not indicate anything about Intuitive Parking Assist. That feature is only listed in the user and navigation manual. I found this video on Intuitive Parking Assist and I can only hope it is on the Rav. Intuitive parking assist.......on rav4 - Bing video

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Again: You need to use it a bit and it becomes clear. There's about 3 different systems to use or not use. Cameras and sensors do different things.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The relevant sensors are on the front and rear bumpers at the corner nearest the potential obstacle. When backing out in reverse, if you come within six or eight inches of a collision, you will get beeping and the appropriate sensor will flash on the MID display. The beeping frequency will increase as you get closer to the obstacle. BUT....once your bumper clears the garage wall, the beeping/flashing will stop so you must be careful to make sure you don't move closer to the side of the garage or the mirror may not clear.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sensors

Wow, so you are saying that when the rear bumper clears there is no more checking by the Park Assist to make sure the rest of the car makes it out? The mirrors are always the hardest part to get out, so they will continue to be an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts