Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my wife came home the other day, she said there was something wrong with her parking brake and asked me to take a look at it. I went out and pulled up on the lever... it's not right. It feels like one of the cables broke. It used to feel nice and tight, now there's quite a bit of play in it, but it will engage... at least one of the wheels is. That's the only troubleshooting I've done so far. Her inspection isn't due for a couple more months so it's not really a big deal yet, and it's fricken cold here, so it'll wait. I figured I would buy both cables ahead of time, but every cable that I see online says "except Japan made" in the description. It just so happens that her RAV4 is Japan made. So, other than spending way too much at a dealer, where can I get the proper cables?

And, is there any other part in there that could have broken instead of a cable? I haven't done much (any) research on this yet, and was just hoping one of you fine folks might be able to toss me an answer.

It's a 2011 Base model with the 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It needs to be put on a lift and examine the entire parking brake system. If you live in the rust belt, it could be several things need replacing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It needs to be put on a lift and examine the entire parking brake system. If you live in the rust belt, it could be several things need replacing.
I don't disagree with you, and when it warms up I will do that. But I still need to know where I can get the parts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't disagree with you, and when it warms up I will do that. But I still need to know where I can get the parts.
There are many places to search out for them once you get an idea of what is needed. I keep hearing others mention Rock Auto, I have not used them but it seems many have. I always start with google with a part description and see what pops up. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the ones that I find say "Except Japan built vehicle" in the description. See the pic in my first post, that's Rock Auto's page. It turns out that my wife's RAV4 WAS built in Japan. What I really need to know is will the non-Japan built parts fit on a Japan built car, and if not, where can I find the parts besides a dealer?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Don't know the answer to your question but if the listing specifically excludes Japan vehicles, there must be a reason for that.
If it was me, I'd hold off on doing anything until you can do what relayman suggests, get it up on a lift and inspect the whole system.

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
I'd start by using an OEM parts website to get the correct part numbers, then find the best price, BAM Wholesale has had the best internet prices I've personally checked on, but sometimes your local dealer will match internet prices if you ask which saves shipping and time, BAM has also offered discounts with promo codes SAVE5 or SAVE10 in the past.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd start by using an OEM parts website to get the correct part numbers, then find the best price, BAM Wholesale has had the best internet prices I've personally checked on, but sometimes your local dealer will match internet prices if you ask which saves shipping and time, BAM has also offered discounts with promo codes SAVE5 or SAVE10 in the past.
OMG! I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that. Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts