Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium Hybrid
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am aware of the sound the parking brake normally makes.

However, mine has starting making a different sound. In August, after making a 200 mile road trip, I put the Rav in park and the noise it made was louder, shorter, and much higher pitched that normal. I was hoping it would go back to normal, but it hasn't. Also avoiding taking it to the dealership. Any ideas? I can post a recording of the sound if that will help.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,802 Posts
I am aware of the sound the parking brake normally makes.

However, mine has starting making a different sound. In August, after making a 200 mile road trip, I put the Rav in park and the noise it made was louder, shorter, and much higher pitched that normal. I was hoping it would go back to normal, but it hasn't. Also avoiding taking it to the dealership. Any ideas? I can post a recording of the sound if that will help.

Thanks in advance
My parking brakes on my RAV4 hybrid have never made any sound.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 LE
209 Posts
Might just need to relube everything back there like another guy did. Don't know if he just did the metal to metal contact points between the pads and caliper, or if he did guide pins too.
(Edit: I'm a dummy. In the "after" video description he says he did in between the two piece shims, and between the shim and caliper ears and piston. Be careful though, only the shim that faces the piston is two pieces.)
I'd do guide pins anyway since mine were basically stuck.

before
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZsNkB4r6lQ
after
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaflxncvBok

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium Hybrid
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might just need to relube everything back there like another guy did...
Thank you for sharing those videos. Mine makes exactly the same noise as the before video.

I guess I'm going to be cleaning and lubing the rear calipers; heavy on the grease between the shims and the ears. Probably the guide pins too

·
Registered
497 Posts
When greasing brake components, you only need a film. Heavy greases means sloppy and when heated the grease likes to move around, such as dripping and/or splattering with the breeze.
Do it properly or don't do it, sloppy is worse than doing nothing.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the video, however pad shims should not be causing sounds while the brakes move inward/outward unless the edge of a shim is rubbing on the caliper and unable to realign.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Mine began making a louder different screeching noise too. In August, I took it to the dealer right before the warranty expired to have them investigate. They said the mechanism can be louder in hot weather so the sound is normal (they all do that?). Well, it is cooler now and the sound is still louder than it was for the first two years of ownership.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts