Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the parking light bulbs on their 2001 yet?
It is the lights that blink when you use the door remote. I can not get to them easily enough to grasp the bulb. Also, I can not figure out an easy way to get to them. Any suggestions? :x

·
Registered
986 Posts
Which parking lights, the ones on the front next to the headlights or the ones on the back tailights?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd get yourself a "Hayens" or "Chilton" repair manual. :wink: All bulb replacements are covered, along with alot of other stuff. Just an idea...or it may be in your Manual that came with your RAV. I've got a '97, and bulb replacement is covered, along with instuctions & blub #s. Check it out! It just might be there.:mrgreen:

btw...2001 RAV is considered a "4.2" Model. :wink:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Parking lamp bulb replacement for '01 RAV4

Yeah, I went thru this aggravation with my '01 RAV.
The Toyota RAV4 owner's manual shows how the bulbs unscrew, but doesn't address the very crucial issue of access.
It's a bear.
There's just not enough room to reach your hand down in from above, grasp the back of the bulb socket, then untwist.
Not even my gf's smaller hand could do it.

It took a while, but I figured it out. Good thing, too, because both bulbs crapped out on me, and I had state inspection coming up.
Couldn't see taking it to the dealer for this little item.

(Aside: Anybody else have a lot of bulbs go out in less than 4 years, including these parking lamps, the brake lamps, the license plate lamp, the console gear indicator lamp?!)

Here's what I did:
I went in from below. That is, I went to the wheel well, in front of the tire, where the plastic of the wheelhouse meets the metal of the fender. Force your hand in between there (not sure if I had to remove a screw or bolt), then reach up and grip the sucker. Twist counter-clockwise to unscrew the bulb socket. It has enough wire to lower down to where you can undo the bulb easily enough.
I put some oil on the socket before putting it back in, so next time it will go a little easier, 'cuz it was still a bit tough to unscrew, but do-able. Oh yeah, I wore a latex glove to get the best grip. Just my bare hand slipped off.

The Haynes/Chilton manual does not cover this.
But now you know one way to skin this cat.
Thank heaven (and Kelly) for RAV4 World.

RAV on.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Thanks for the info, I've been dreading the day I have to replace those bulbs.

None of the bulbs in my Rav have burned out yet, except the headlights because I use aftermarket bulbs that last 6 months.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know if guys tend to blowing blubs often, this usally due to a weak ground. :wink: You might just want to take a piece of wire(monster wire type) and create a better ground. Or get yourself an grounding kit off Ebay or somthing, it will help you too. It's just another small advantage of a grounding kit, especially if they are tough to get to. :wink: Just an idea... 8)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i couldnt get this to work, my hand can reach the socket but i couldnt twist it for the life of me, any tips?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's what I did:
I went in from below. That is, I went to the wheel well, in front of the tire, where the plastic of the wheelhouse meets the metal of the fender. Force your hand in between there (not sure if I had to remove a screw or bolt), then reach up and grip the sucker. Twist counter-clockwise to unscrew the bulb socket. It has enough wire to lower down to where you can undo the bulb easily enough.

RAV on.
This worked perfectly for me. And it ended up being about 5-10 minutes of work. It takes a little elbow grease to ply the plastic away from the fender, but it's an easy job. I've attached a pic where you can actually see the parking light plug.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts