Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a used 2017 Rav4 Hybrid Limited last week. Got it for $25k with 10k mi and Tech package. The car is as good as new with only one flaw - it came with only one key. So I want to buy a second key. However I am confused about what to buy. Most places says that I need part # 89904-0R080. This part is easy to find and there are multiple offers of such used unlocked key fobs available for ~$90. It is specified to work with all 2013-2018 RAV4s.

However a few places claim that this key fob would not work with the Hybrid model and that I would need 89904-42070. This one is only available new for ~$150.

So is this correct that I need a "special" key for the hybrid? I wonder if it is more related to Japan-built vs Canada-built.

I am planning to use Techstream and program the key myself.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are right - parts.toyota.com lists only the 89904-42070 part as well. You cannot get more offical than that. The interesting part is that both parts look identical - down to FCC numbers and PCB markings.

I looked at some more random parts on this site. Seems quite a few of them are different for Japan built vs Canada built vehicles. I didn't expect this. It will complicate sourcing parts from recyclers in the future I guess.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I think you are right - parts.toyota.com lists only the 89904-42070 part as well. You cannot get more offical than that. The interesting part is that both parts look identical - down to FCC numbers and PCB markings.

I looked at some more random parts on this site. Seems quite a few of them are different for Japan built vs Canada built vehicles. I didn't expect this. It will complicate sourcing parts from recyclers in the future I guess.

The best thing to do is to open the remote case and find the BOARD NUMBER. You may be able to find another model( Lexus) that uses the same . Make sure the one you get is a VIRGIN key or UNLOCKED one with the right amount of buttons so you can use Techstream to program it.

Here's an example of where to look for to find the Circuit Board Number. 281451-0020 G Board (HYQ14FBA)

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vendors that sell the non-hybrid key do emphasize the need to match the PCB numbers. The problem is that my hybrid key has these numbers on the PCB: 281451-0020 4/10 6 G; and they only require the 281451-0020 part to match.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The vendors that sell the non-hybrid key do emphasize the need to match the PCB numbers. The problem is that my hybrid key has these numbers on the PCB: 281451-0020 4/10 6 G; and they only require the 281451-0020 part to match.

Post a pic of the circuit board! never seen 6G

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlocked-OEM-TOYOTA-RAV4-HYQ14FBA-smart-key-keyless-entry-remote-fob-0020-G/272683615839?fits=Year:2017|Model:RAV4&epid=2295661930&hash=item3f7d35c65f:g:mewAAOSwIQdZJD2U

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just an update - got the OEM blank 89904-42070 fob from bernarditoyota.com for $135. Programmed it without a hitch with Techstream. Then transplanted the PCB into the $12 eBay Lexus shell (that looked brand new btw). Now waiting for the cut insert - a few vendors on ebay do it just from the original blade picture for $13..

A local place wanted $25 to cut the blade that I was providing - and then failed miserably (they did not know how to operate their machine - even after spending like 15 minutes on call with customer support). So my advice is to save time and money and go straight to eBay for the insert.

Capture3.JPG

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
You might have been able to save a little money by finding a virgin or refurbed LEXUS keyfob with the same. Pcb Board as the Rav4.

Anyway . good to hear it worked out for you. Techstream is a great little tool to have.

PS. Does this keyring have the same PCB Board

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Frankly I am not convinced those PCB are interchangeable even if they look the same and all the numbers match. Otherwise why would all of them have different part numbers? They may have the same electronics but be pre-programmed differently after all. I have already been burned once buying a wallet key that ended up not working. J-VIN RAV4s (i.e. hybrids) need a different part number and this is what I got.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Well I can tell you for a fact that Camry KEY fob that has a different part number works on my Rav4.

I'm not telling you what to do. It's your money. I just thought I would pass on some information .

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update - the metal insert key (made from photo for $13 on eBay) has arrived in 4 business days and works fine. I am not going to post a picture of it here for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Just an update - the metal insert key (made from photo for $13 on eBay) has arrived in 4 business days and works fine. I am not going to post a picture of it here for obvious reasons.
You should post a link where you got it for others who made need the same thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts