Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I wanted to do a little routine maitnence to my car before winter hit, and was looking to see whichparts and where to order.

Currently it is having a minor problem where it fluxuates RPMs while keeping a steady pressure on the throttle. This seems to be occuring at random, and goes away when I use 89 octane instead of 87. Not sure if I need to replace (factory orginal at 100,000 miles, but I had a Maxima make it to 190,000 on orginal, a camry doing just fine at 120,000 on the orginal, all are the same type of belt timing as the Rav), or just run the higher octane. Another factor I am leaning towards may be my spark plugs.

Which leads to the next one, which spark plugs to get. What company, and I am sure this is going to start a debate, works best?

And while I am in there, I am going to do the wires, so any reccomendations on spark wires?

I am adding an intake, but I am using the Secret Weapon from Weapon - R, and if it doesn't gain enough, I will get the ram air kit and mount it to act just like a CAI. So that is already decided.

So really, any reccos on the sprak plugs/wires? Best place to buy them? And is there other wires I should be replacing? I run a decent size stereo load, so I need wiring that can hold it (2 12 inch JLs and an eclipse headunit.....stock speakers.....but they sound just fine.)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well, for plugs I recommend the Bosch Platinum +4's. Myself and a few others have had good luck with them. I just used Bosch plug wires with my tune up and they worked fine. I have some by Magnecor for my MSD setup. Don't forget the Distributor cap and rotor while you're at it.

For your stereo setup hit crutchfield's website for wiring size. it depends on what your amp is running. I have a 650 watt amp and 2 500 watt 12 in MTX subs running on 8 ga. wire. But I need to upgrade to 4 ga.

Just my thoughts.... :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where did you find the ones by Magencor? Are they a lower resistance than the bosch wires?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sparkplugs don't generally make a lick of difference until you do mods that require a different heat range. I replaced my originals at 80,000 miles with stock Toyota two ground plugs. Smoothed the engine out.

Check Grassroots motorsports out on this one. They never have found a difference with any different type of plugs.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you want good plugs, Magnecor recommend ones by torque Master, at extremespark.com I'm using them with my MSD (should I ever get it in :roll: ) I've been using the bosch +4's and been very happy with them.

If you want to know why Magnecor wires are better, just go to their site and pay attention to what they say and then do your homework. I think you will figure out why they are better than some other companies out there.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Good wires definitely can make a difference. Turn the lights out in your garage with the engine running and see if you can seen any arcing with the wires. This type of light show means that you waited to long.

When you install the MSD, remember to regap your plugs. You can run an insane gap with an msd.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are the plugs you guys recommended were the bosch super 4 spark plugs? im getting a tune up soon was wondering if i would go oem plugs or the bosch super 4 plugs... thanks :lol:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Go with NGK or Denso plugs, either the platinum or iridium versions. You're driving a Toyota not a Volkswagen.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Premium plugs may get you better mileage, smooth out your idle, or let you go another 100k miles before you'll need another set, but that's about it. If you're staying stock internals, I don't see a need for an MSD ignition. Stock wiring is more than enough for the stock engine. OEM toyota wires are of very high quality. Most Supra TT runners stick with stock ignition.

I recommend NGK plugs. Try the OEM replacements, the laser platinums. I'm sure they'll be able to handle your ignition system. If you see arcing between wires, you should replace them ASAP. If you're a stocker, I think the MSD and upgraded wires are overkill. If your car came with distributor, new cap and rotor are a must.

As for the intake, remember to get a better breathing engine, you sould also invest in a good ehaust system too. Just keep in mind that you may lose some low end torque in exchange for high end hp.

As for stereo, find out what the current draw is from your amp. The Rav4's alternator is not the most powerful. If you find yourself running a 4ga power line, do your battery a favor and get a nice 1 farad cap or replace with a deep cycle battery. You'll find quite a current drain in the winter when you have your headlights, stereo, rear defroster and front defogger w/ AC on all at the same time.

One other thing you can try is cleaning out your throttle body for your rough idling and fluctuating RPMs. If your car smooths out with higher octane gas, try some injector cleaner on top of the other suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts