Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is a silly question and/or already answered somewhere.

I like that my phone is paired and when the rare call or text comes in, I can do it hands free. Similarly, I like to occasionally play music thru bluetooth but I COULD give this up if needed.

I have an LE and an iphone 6. I'd like to keep the radio and iphone paired for calls and texts. But I'd like Safari, I guess, NOT paired and I'm not sure there is an easy way to do that. The bluetooth connection sort of silences my phone but I'd like to hear directions and notifications from Google Maps or Waze (let me know if there is an easy override when enter vehicle and want to use a GPS routing app.)

I may have addressed this before, not sure, it's Friday and I've had wine....:wink

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Google Maps and Waze require the media connection, which connects everything.

We'll often "split" the connection when we're on a road trip, with my wife's phone paired as "phone" and my phone paired for media for Waze and music.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
You learn something new everyday! I never knew/realized that 2 devices could be paired and operated simultaneously like above.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Ya... If multiple phones are paired, the HU will automatically pair with only one on powerup. I guess it "remembers" the one it pairs with most often because the only time it pairs with mine is if my wife is out of range when the key is turned on.

Once connected, you can go to the BT menu and move either media or phone to a different BT device. It prompts a confirmation before disconnecting.

·
Registered
124 Posts
joyride' - from what I've learned from others on this forum, us iPhone users can only have our Rav's read the texts, but not reply or send a text directly. However, using Siri, you can use the Mobile Assistant to send a text message hands-free.

If someone has additional or different information, please chime in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, only reads texts and displays them if not moving, which is fine by me. I googled and found a youtube video to describe it, don't remember the details but I think if there was a tricky part it was making sure something in my text settings was good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

We'll often "split" the connection when we're on a road trip, with my wife's phone paired as "phone" and my phone paired for media for Waze and music.
How do you use Waze when paired? I think once I changed a setting such that I could hear what phone had to say thru the speakers but then couldn't listen to radio.

Is there a way to be paired and have texts read and be listening to the radio and also hear Maps and Waze directions? thru Rav4 or phone itself?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
How do you use Waze when paired? I think once I changed a setting such that I could hear what phone had to say thru the speakers but then couldn't listen to radio.

Is there a way to be paired and have texts read and be listening to the radio and also hear Maps and Waze directions? thru Rav4 or phone itself?
That is a problem.

No, you can't listen to CD/Radio/XM while also getting the voice feed from Waze.
The HU has to be in the proper mode to play BT media (from Poweramp, for example).

There are apps that can "trigger" the HU into "telephone" mode and interrupt "normal" programming, but there is a bit of a delay, so "Watch out, vehicle stopped on shoulder ahead" tends to come through as "on shoulder ahead"... and Nav instructions are generally unintelligible.

So if I want to use the HU for Waze, I set it to BT audio. If I don't, and I normally don't, I leave it on Radio and set Waze to use the phone's speaker.

iOS may be different, but the implementation with Android is horrible, and it's not totally a Waze problem... it's just how Android works.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Ok..maybe the "not moving" part is what is throwing me off. Except for an occasional stoplight, that doesn't happen a lot.

Thanks for the help for both of you!
Wife's will "read" texts and emails while driving.

Of course, reading emails is worthless because it only reads the first few lines, and those first few lines are html code.

We are seriously not impressed with Entune, or the navigation system.
I would not be looking at an S-Premium if I could get a sunroof, smartkey, and XM radio without the full Entune app suite... and the main thing is XM. It's only available with the Entune Premium.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Same here. The navigation system is not impressive at all. It seems overly complicated and works mediocre at best. I use the Google Map app on my Iphone all the time. Takes 15 seconds to find the location and get directions....and I do not have to be stopped. I never messed with the Entune. I loaded the app on my phone, screwed with it for a bit, and said screw it.
Part of the problem is that Toyota's lawyers are apparently more paranoid than Honda/Nissan/GM combined.

Toyota has always limited access to touch screen features when in motion. The old Camry system that I put in my '03 Tundra could be put into a diagnostic mode by doing a cryptic 3-fingered dance, and it would hold until the car was restarted... The new ones can't even do that (perhaps with a data connection active?)... the only way known to get it into diagnostic mode requires a shutdown and restart of the vehicle, and it still doesn't sound like it's usable when driving.

Major pet peeve with Toyota. Everyone else offers the option to say "Yes, I'm the passenger" or to simply "OK, I understand the risk and won't hold you liable if I kill myself"
Not having the passenger able to manipulate the touch screen items is dumb.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Same here. The navigation system is not impressive at all. It seems overly complicated and works mediocre at best. I use the Google Map app on my Iphone all the time. Takes 15 seconds to find the location and get directions....and I do not have to be stopped. I never messed with the Entune. I loaded the app on my phone, screwed with it for a bit, and said screw it.
Joyridin' - So you just forego all phone pairing and use your phone and hear directions thru the phone? Are you paired for other stuff?

I'm looking to tell the phone itself, I guess, to use the speakers in phone for Google Maps but otherwise pair and I'm not sure how to do it on the Iphone.

Thanks everyone for all the discussion.

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
FWIW I've paired several different phones, even my cheap tablet with my 2015 Rav4 and Prius and the 2016 Hybrid, they all paired fine, but not all were functional, Toyota.com/entune has compatibility testing of major brands of phones showing what works and what doesn't, the list isn't all inclusive, my Blu phone and Hisense tablet are not listed, but they work fine for the functions I use, neither have been tested. My wife's ZTE phone is listed and is supposed to be compatible for basic phone use, but it doesn't work at all other that it will pair, no functionality at all. I use my tablet for media with Amazon Prime streaming music, the tablet didn't work entirely in the 2015 Rav4, it would work for while then loose it's pair, but works fine in the 2016 Hybrid, go figure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is paired for phone operation and for other Bluetooth stuff like playing music, but to be honest, I really haven't had the time to mess with all the other stuff. I drive the car everyday all day and since you cannot do anything while the car is moving, I really don't bother messing with it when it is stationary. I have used the navigation system with the voice activation, but it blatantly sucks. It does not understand most street names and I speak very clear English.

Using Google takes no time. I punch it in and it goes. Plus, my experience with navigation systems in large cities has been debatable at best. They alsawys seem to crap out just when you need them. The phone works great.
Thanks. I have an LE without navigation and want to use my phone instead but it seems like phone Google Maps is useless now because I'm paired and can't hear anything, phone is silenced b/c paired. It feels like there is no way to be paired and still hear Google Map instructions.

It automatically pairs now that I've set it up. Is there a way to unpair temporarily for the times when I want to use Google Maps?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I googled some more and think I was making it too difficult. Ideally I'd hear directions out the car speakers but thought that was impossible for some reason. Think I heard it thru speakers on some setting but couldn't hear radio.

Anyway, I got turn by turn directions coming over car speakers in Google Maps by entering a destination and hitting start and then there was some setting information could access bottom right (3 vertical dots). The menu allowed me to select "navigation settings" and then turn on "play voice over bluetooth".

I'm new to the Waze app, haven't really used it but seemed to get sound thru speakers by finding the settings section in the app and under "sound" chose "prefer bluetooth".

The directions came thru over the radio music.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Thanks. I have an LE without navigation and want to use my phone instead but it seems like phone Google Maps is useless now because I'm paired and can't hear anything, phone is silenced b/c paired. It feels like there is no way to be paired and still hear Google Map instructions.

It automatically pairs now that I've set it up. Is there a way to unpair temporarily for the times when I want to use Google Maps?
You should be able to tap "select phone" and disconnect just the media connection, leaving the "phone" connection enabled.

Google Maps and Waze will work, but not if you are listening to AM/FM/XM/CD. You have to have the source set to BT Audio, which of course means that your entertainment is limited to your MP3 collection, Pandora, iHeart, etc...

I use the Waze setting "Use phone's speaker" and it works fine unless I'm on a phone call, then Waze blasts over the conversation (bug with the Android implementation)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts