Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Passenger seatbelt and 'airbag off' light constantly on.

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Foryota 
#1 ·
Hi there, I just bought a 2012 Toyota RAV4 base model with 4wd.

The passenger seat belt and 'airbag off' light are constantly on, even when a passenger is seated and buckled up.

I've heard this could be a seat belt buckle issue, or a seat sensor issue. Any insight before I buy a new buckle for $30?

I took it to AutoZone and had them run diagnostic and it said nothing about a passenger seat belt or airbag sensor.

Thank you.

#3 ·
There is a weight sensor in the seat to detect lighter sitters. However even if the person is above the min. weight it may not trigger depending on how the person sits in the seat. If the passenger is over 130lbs and it’s not turning on the bag, then it could be the sensor. Do a visual check of the wiring first, under the seat. Just be careful as the wiring controls the side impact airbag which is also installed in the seat.

There is no sensor or current in the seat belt itself, but there is one in the clasp/buckle where the latchplate connects.

2012 RAV4 Base FWD.
Upgraded to large front brakes and 3rd row rear springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.