Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a thread or two before about this rattle as other members have come across it. I cannot for the life of me find them anymore.

I seem to have a rattle that occurs (more so when it gets colder out) at the location circled below. It will go away if you apply pressure from your hand in that specific spot.

Does anyone know what's causing this or how you can access this area? If someone knows where the links for this issue are I'd be more than happy for that as a response.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
You can easily remove the head unit and gain access to that area. Look for a sticky thread called "Stereo install with lots of pictures" or something like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've found a thread or two before about this rattle as other members have come across it. I cannot for the life of me find them anymore.

I seem to have a rattle that occurs (more so when it gets colder out) at the location circled below. It will go away if you apply pressure from your hand in that specific spot.

Does anyone know what's causing this or how you can access this area? If someone knows where the links for this issue are I'd be more than happy for that as a response.
Have you had any luck with this rattle? I have the same rattle in that location.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have also got this rattle now, mine sounds a little higher up than the red circle here but same idea. It's been off and on over the last year only appearing sometimes but lately it's happening more and more. If I go over rough pavement or construction it sounds like something hard underneath the dash is loose and bouncing up and down hitting the inside of the dash.

Has anyone got a diagram of what's behind there or found a cure for this?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
That red circle is right where the passenger air bag is mounted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For what it is worth. My wife's 2012 Rav4 has had a dashboard rattle that has been driving her nuts for the last 6 weeks. From the drivers side it sounded like it was coming from the passenger dash in the area of the airbag. From the passenger side it sounded like it was coming from the driver side however if you leaded forward it sounded like the passenger side. I removed the lower glove compartment, checked the cabin filter housing and other wires and objects in that area. It was when I checked the overhead door for storage of sun glasses that the answer presented itself. About 6 weeks ago we loaned the car to our daughter. She had placed her large sunglasses in the overhead storage with the lens against the front plastic edge of the door causing the rattle. The moral is the answer can be a simple one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts