Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Result: Poor Rating

I am disappointed that Toyota made structural changes on the 2015 RAV4 for the driver side only. Now I wonder if they left it this way for the 2016 model. :serious

·
Registered
627 Posts
How about 2016 RAV4? same as 2015?
It should be the same.

My wife has a 2016. The modification (reinforcement) that Toyota did in late 2013 to improve small overlap score is only done to the left side of the vehicle. Right side is not reinforced. It's clearly visible when you open the hood. I will try to take some pictures later today when I'm back home and post them here.

I suspect that Toyota's reaction will be to implement the modification on the right side as well in few months from now. But it's disappointing to see that they nickle-and-dime on safety-related items. The modification is fairly simple and probably costs less then $100 per car (plus some one-time engineering and tooling expenses). They should have done it right once-and-for-all when they failed the small overlap test for the first time in 2013.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty clear that Toyota has put profit before safety here.....not impressed at all.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I wonder if any of that heavy corner reinforcement bracket on the driver side, that is highlighted in the video, is visible from under the car. I'm going to take a look under my 2016 and see if I can discern whether they added it to both sides.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I wonder if any of that heavy corner reinforcement bracket on the driver side, that is highlighted in the video, is visible from under the car. I'm going to take a look under my 2016 and see if I can discern whether they added it to both sides.
You can see it from the top, just open the hood. Look under the left front corner of the battery - you will see a triangular reinforcement bracket. Now look at the passenger side, next to the washer fluid reservoir, and you will see that there is such bracket.

Early 2013 did not have the reinforcement bracket on the driver's side - it was added after IIHS published the small overlap test results.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not the best pics but the differences are obvious, the first pic is the passenger side and the second is the driver side. I am sure there is more to it than what can be seen but it's part of what is missing structurally to make the passenger side more safe

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hopefully it's different for the Made in Japan Hybrid vehicles but I seriously doubt it.

I got to let my wife know to hit something inanimate head on with the front center of the vehicle just to play safe. Didn't realize this was what the small overlap test is all about.

Keep safe everyone.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It should be the same.

My wife has a 2016. The modification (reinforcement) that Toyota did in late 2013 to improve small overlap score is only done to the left side of the vehicle. Right side is not reinforced. It's clearly visible when you open the hood. I will try to take some pictures later today when I'm back home and post them here.

I suspect that Toyota's reaction will be to implement the modification on the right side as well in few months from now. But it's disappointing to see that they nickle-and-dime on safety-related items. The modification is fairly simple and probably costs less then $100 per car (plus some one-time engineering and tooling expenses). They should have done it right once-and-for-all when they failed the small overlap test for the first time in 2013.
Not so sure about this comment but if it is true, then it makes sense for Toyota to only reinforce the driver side for the US market but still, the passenger test results now make them look very bad by not being proactive in fixing the issue. Hopefully the AEB system works when the time comes...

Some small SUVs may stint front passengers on safety: IIHS

The vehicles get designed with symmetrical crash protection for the international market then reinforcements are added to the driver's side for the US market only to help it in a small overlap crash test.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A few thoughts on this:

Why did it take until now for iihs to test the passenger side? I find it hard to believe they didn't know until now that the manufacturers only fixed the drivers side. I just assumed they fixed both sides but i don't work for the iihs. I would hope they didn't just assume both sides were fixed also. Why are they acting surprised by this.
Lets not just bash Toyota here. Yes they did the worst in the test but the others, besides Hyundai, didn't fare much better. I was most surprised by the Forester actually, since Subaru touts themselves about being all about safety.
btw i drive a 2013 so i am screwed on either side :smile

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yeah, it's kinda silly for the IIHS to only test the driver side and assume the passenger side will have a similar crash result. They're probably trying to cover their base now that they realized what the auto makers have been doing.

After going through this thread, I did inform my wife Saturday morning that if she cannot avoid hitting a huge steel or cement support (bridge) enough to only slice the front corners of her car, she might as well take the structures head on. At least there will be little risk of spinning. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, it's kinda silly for the IIHS to only test the driver side and assume the passenger side will have a similar crash result. They're probably trying to cover their base now that they realized what the auto makers have been doing.
Agreed. I think IIHS is as much to blame as the manufacturers. After watching the video I'd love to ask that lady if the IIHS felt so strongly about the passenger test results then why not test for it the same time the driver side testing was occurring?

·
Registered
125 Posts
so for us 2013 owners, what choice do we have for our beloved Rav4? do we ditch them for the upgraded version (2016) or is there any way TOYOTA can have this improvements done on the first year of 4.4. Primarily for passenger safety, second for brand to regain trust from car buyers and loyal toyota owners?

·
Registered
846 Posts
so for us 2013 owners, what choice do we have for our beloved Rav4? do we ditch them for the upgraded version (2016) or is there any way TOYOTA can have this improvements done on the first year of 4.4. Primarily for passenger safety, second for brand to regain trust from car buyers and loyal toyota owners?
I thought this small overlap test was something newly developed in 2012, maybe the cars that wanted an A rating in safety didn't require this as of the time the 2013's were being manufactured?

What’s a small overlap frontal crash test? » Safety.TRW.com

I'm not selling my 2011 Honda Accord and 2016 RAV4 just because they failed the small overlap crash test (passenger side for the RAV4). Armed with knowledge, at least I know that if I had no choice, I should be crashing the car right in the center.

·
Registered
28 Posts
oh Brother!! a new IIHS test to devalue our cars at trade in.

I agree, why wasn't the passenger side tested way back in 2013 when the initial round of "small overlap" was being conducted? Complete failure on the part of IIHS.

So what's next? IIHS Piano drop at two stories crash test?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts