Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we have this keyless entry system, is that a good idea?

I searched around and only found mention of it in a 2007 thread on this forum.

So the key stays in my wife's purse 100% of the time. She grabs the door, which unlocks it, steps in and drive. Why couldn't it automatically lock when you reach your destination and step away from the vehicle?

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,096 Posts
What if the person with the key isn't the only person getting out of the car?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Somebody would find a way to kill themselves/their kids/dog/cat/neighbor and sue.

There is also the uncertainty of whether the car locked or not.

Is it so hard to touch the handle to lock the car?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I haven't checked the options but on many car models, you can have the doors auto lock after a certain period of time if the door remains in active. Some insurance companies will give discounts if your car has this option and you use it. My son is a cop and he told me about 70% of break ins of an auto aren't break ins, the bad guy just opened the unlocked door and did his thing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it is not an option.

@rdgrimes , in this case you wait until everyone is out of the car before you step away.

@Joylove , if one has a motive to do such things, keyless or not doesn't matter much.

@rsn48 yes, I agree.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had this feature in my 2013 mazda cx-5. It was nice, and convenient.

The only (extremely minor) pitfall I found with it was that it was difficult to purposely leave the doors unlocked (such as I wanted to do when it was parked in my locked garage.) I walk away, the doors lock. I use the fob to unlock them, and unless I open a door, they RELOCK in a few minutes. I get out of my car to pump gas, and while I'm pumping the doors lock.

In all fairness, it was a more convenient system than the RAV4 has, but I can't say that it really makes much difference (once I got used to having to take an action to lock the doors.) Touching the door handle isn't that big of a deal... though sometimes I do get annoyed waiting for one of my kids to close their door so I can lock it up.

(LOL. This thread proves how incredibly spoiled and lazy we, as human beings, have become.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts