Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I ordered my rav, and just arrived last week, but we were looking for a better finantial option than Toyota.. and finally a family will loan us the rest of the money... so we will going to pay by cash.

Any suggestion on how to negotiate this situation with the dealer?
they are discounting me just the floor mats and cargo...

U

·
0 Posts
I told the dealer that I was working with another dealer and that they offered me a $1,500 cash back offer, which was the truth, but when asked I said I prefer not to say which dealer. So, since it's all a big game anyway, you could say something like: "I have been shopping around and have been offered up to $1,500 cash back by one dealer, will you match that offer?"

Break a leg.

J.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I haven't heard anything lately about a dealer giving a better deal if you're paying cash.

It's actually better if you'll be financing through them, if you think about it. Not only would they get the sale, they would also make money off financing you with a percentage rate. Now you've taken away one of those options for them to make money.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Yeah, what Steve said...

There will be no leverage on pricing, because an outright purchase offers less chance of profit, unless their margins are already high enough for them to be comfortable. Expect your salesman and post-negotiation representative to throw every aftermarket and dealer-based option in the book at you -- they're looking to pad their bottom line.

Note that many dealerships won't even take a full automobile purchase in cash due to fears of money laundering, counterfeiting and the practicality of physically dealing with huge sums of greenbacks on a daily basis. If you're paying for it outright, the dealer will likely prefer a bank cashier's check.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If going that route, many financing options come with no fee for early payment of the full financed amount.

Don't tell them you have the cash to pay for it. Let them think you are going to use their financing options. Fight for a good deal, do the financing through them, and assuming it has no fee for early payment, pay it off when you have the vehicle and are out of the dealership.

·
Registered
233 Posts
"I have been shopping around and have been offered up to $1,500 cash back by one dealer, will you match that offer?"
They will see through this right away. The cars cost the dealers the same amount, they know what the other guy can and can not do. It comes down to this: Why not let the dealer make a little profit? These vehicles have a 8% markup, not counting about $500 holdback. See if you can get about 6% off and go on down the road(literally and figuratively)

U

·
0 Posts
For the record, 6% off would've amounted to $1560 off my MSRP, so I think either way saying you've got an offer for $1500 or throw an offer of $1500 (or 6%) less would pretty much be the same thing. - J.

E

·
0 Posts
There are 3 reasons why I got the best deal I could. First, I got a Rav that they just got and it was there only one day. It went fast, I walked in and said I will take that one. Second, I am a frequent buyer from this deaership and they know me. Third, paying cash is money in their hands with less paperwork. They just love a quick sale. Also trading a Toyota product for another Toyota maximizes the trade value. They also told me that they had a buyer looking for a Rav like I was trading in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your advices... unfortunatelly there is few dealers over there, and none of them have the options we wanted... also the one we wanted is already there... They are not giving discount because they said it was an special order for me... I have already tried.
So well, I think I just will pay it and take it. (with checkcard of course) We have been waiting for it since end of December when we ordered it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts