Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2011 Limited V6 has a sticker with total combined weight of occupants and cargo (payload) capacity of 375kg or 825lbs. Then, there is another sticker that says that "Modifications to this vehicle reduced the original load capacity by 5 kg or 10lbs. IDK, they added the roof rack?
That puts the payload capacity at 370kg or 815lbs.
If I say that two occupants (380lbs) and their luggage (85lbs) adds up to 465lbs, that leaves exactly 350lbs for towing tongue weight. Per owner manual that is in line with 10% of the 3,500lbs towing capacity.
GAWR is 2140kg or 4720lbs.
GCWR listed in manual, for my vehicle, is 7640lbs.

Does anyone knows what other models' stickers say? I am interested in the 3rd row ones specifically.

·
Super Moderator
11,411 Posts
Can't answer your question but does anyone pay any attention to any of these figures?

·
Registered
345 Posts
IDK, they added the roof rack?
Actually, yes. That sticker comes from some legalese requiring Toyota to decrease cargo capacity by the weight of options installed at port. Even floor mats contribute to that.

The Addendum Label is a yellow label (see diagram below) located on the driver’s side center pillar. The label provides the weight of accessories added to your vehicle which were not already taken into account in the vehicle occupant and cargo carrying capacity located on the Tire and Loading Information Label.
Load Carrying Capacity Modification (Addendum) Act

Gotta love bureaucracy lol. I'm sure all those Firestone tires exploded because they were overloaded by 8 lbs of floor mats.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Actually, yes. That sticker comes from some legalese requiring Toyota to decrease cargo capacity by the weight of options installed at port. Even floor mats contribute to that.

Load Carrying Capacity Modification (Addendum) Act

Gotta love bureaucracy lol. I'm sure all those Firestone tires exploded because they were overloaded by 8 lbs of floor mats.
As a former Explorer owner (different chassis, still screwed out of renting a trailer from U-Haul) that’s exactly why they went nuclear on this stuff. And to Dr Dyno’s point, nope, nobody pays attention to it. As my kids have grown, we’d be over with the four of us as well as camping gear, before putting the trailer on. With the 2-row springs, it sagged badly and I felt the front end getting light sometimes - at least with the 3-row springs it’s restored normal handling when towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is confusing to me is that the GWVR on the door sticker is 2140kg or 4720lbs. If I deduct the 815lbs from that, it would suggest that the curb weight is 4720-815=3905lbs. Or for our Canadian friends 2140-370=1770kg.
That seems high to me. I have read online that this vehicle curb weight would be like 200lbs lighter (3699lbs).

·
Super Moderator
11,411 Posts
Must be a math issue but I've got too much else to do to pursue it. Good Luck!

Reactions: Blogson

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think the GVWR includes fuel, so there's approx 100 lbs for a full tank. Maybe all the other fluids and mud make up the remaining 100?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
What is confusing to me is that the GWVR on the door sticker is 2140kg or 4720lbs. If I deduct the 815lbs from that, it would suggest that the curb weight is 4720-815=3905lbs. Or for our Canadian friends 2140-370=1770kg.
That seems high to me. I have read online that this vehicle curb weight would be like 200lbs lighter (3699lbs).
I recall a Car and Driver test of a Limited V6 (all the goodies incl. AWD) and the curb weight with a full tank but no occupants or cargo cane to about 3700 lb. 3905 seems inordinately high for your model.

Reactions: Ike Carlson

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, that's what is confusing. The "payload" numbers seem wrong in the low direction.
Based on definitions the payload would be GWVR-Curb Weight. That would be 4720-3700=1020lbs.

Maybe the rear axle is limiting that? 2535lbs for rear axle seems plenty.
Also the OE tire 101 load index should be good for 1819lbs per tire. I have 104 tires with 1984lbs, but that's something else.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Yeah, that's what is confusing. The "payload" numbers seem wrong in the low direction.
Based on definitions the payload would be GWVR-Curb Weight. That would be 4720-3700=1020lbs.

Maybe the rear axle is limiting that? 2535lbs for rear axle seems plenty.
Also the OE tire 101 load index should be good for 1819lbs per tire. I have 104 tires with 1984lbs, but that's something else.
As an engineer, you’re of course familiar with the safety factor - it’s also applied to payloads, particularly following the Ford/Firestone/U-Haul debacle and that excellent lawyer/gullible judge/jury. The payload is based on the spring rate, likely some dynamic computations, and the tire rating, then downgraded by a percentage to give a safe load rating. Changing the spring rates and the load rating of the tires can in effect if not in law increase the payload capabilities. There are shops which can issue new GVWR/GCWR stickers with similar upgrades but there are only done on medium and heavy trucks. Believe me, I tried when looking at the springs in my RAV.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Those safety factors are already included in the GVWR/GCWR numbers. IMO the payload doesn't need to have that applied again to it's value, since is derived from one of those derated numbers. The formulas that I can find anywhere are clear about that.

What's funny is that 2021 RAV4 seem to have listed 1200+ lbs payload/carrying capacity and the formula "works". 2021 Toyota RAV4 Exterior Specs & Options
GVWR-Curb Weight=Payload :
Rectangle Font Pattern Number Parallel

LE: Well, I have clicked on that 104 note and:
Head Rectangle Font Art Smile

I guess that's to cover the eventual factory added options that might increase the curb weight.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Our 11 RAV4 has a similar sticker - maybe the added weight is because of something like the floor mats as suggested for example by TomKatt. . . or a sound system upgrade. :) Am with Dr. Dyno (Post #2).

Reactions: SoNic67

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here are the details from mine. I am trying to get Toyota to be more clear on the payload with me. Just bought ours about a month ago.

First off as a commuter vehicle the Rav4 prime is not bad at all. We bought it with the idea of road tripping with a light weight tear drop as well as getting to and from work. To this end I seem to have stumbled into a bit of a problem with the weight ratings of the Rav4 Prime.

GCWR=8030lbs

Payload= 970lbs (Was surprised to find that this is not even close to the number 1295lbs that is used on Toyota.com)

Tow =2500lbs

Curb weight of our Rav4 = 4340lbs (per CAT certified scale with full tank, empty of payload ,driver or passengers and honestly given the basic arithmetic issues the only number I trust at the moment)

GCWR= Curb weight with fuel + payload + tow load.

I am sure you see where this is going now but just in case here is the math.

-If your GCWR number is correct then the pay load is 1190lbs (which would be with in tolerance of the payload number used on Toyota.com)
4340+1190+2500=8030

-If 970lbs payload is correct then the GCWR is 7810lbs.
4340+970+2500=7810

Any thoughts on this?

My 2011 Limited V6 has a sticker with total combined weight of occupants and cargo (payload) capacity of 375kg or 825lbs. Then, there is another sticker that says that "Modifications to this vehicle reduced the original load capacity by 5 kg or 10lbs. IDK, they added the roof rack?
That puts the payload capacity at 370kg or 815lbs.
If I say that two occupants (380lbs) and their luggage (85lbs) adds up to 465lbs, that leaves exactly 350lbs for towing tongue weight. Per owner manual that is in line with 10% of the 3,500lbs towing capacity.
GAWR is 2140kg or 4720lbs.
GCWR listed in manual, for my vehicle, is 7640lbs.

Does anyone knows what other models' stickers say? I am interested in the 3rd row ones specifically.

View attachment 171439 View attachment 171440
View attachment 171442

·
Registered
9 Posts
wonder if you have any thoughts on this questions?

First off as a commuter vehicle the Rav4 prime is not bad at all. We bought it with the idea of road tripping with a light weight tear drop as well as getting to and from work. To this end I seem to have stumbled into a bit of a problem with the weight ratings of the Rav4 Prime.

GCWR=8030lbs

Payload= 970lbs (Was surprised to find that this is not even close to the number 1295lbs that is used on Toyota.com)

Tow =2500lbs

Curb weight of our Rav4 = 4340lbs (per CAT certified scale with full tank, empty of payload ,driver or passengers and honestly given the basic arithmetic issues the only number I trust at the moment)

GCWR= Curb weight with fuel + payload + tow load.

I am sure you see where this is going now but just in case here is the math.

-If your GCWR number is correct then the pay load is 1190lbs (which would be with in tolerance of the payload number used on Toyota.com)
4340+1190+2500=8030

-If 970lbs payload is correct then the GCWR is 7810lbs.
4340+970+2500=7810

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
In the formula for payload you need to use the GWVR not the GCWR.
Also the to load is tongue tow load, like in 250 lbs, not the 2500 lbs one, because that's the one that puts weight (vertical load) on the vehicle.
For curb weight I think the vehicle weight is considered that has no occupants and tank is at 10% with gas.
GVWR – Curb Weight = Truck Payload Capacity
Truck Payload Calculator - Figure it Out the Easy Way! (truckomize.com)

Curb weight of our Rav4 = 4340lbs
You didn't say what model is that and what options it has. Is that a hybrid? It looks to be super heavy.

This is what website I used to find "official" curb weight:
2011 Toyota RAV4 Curb Weights / Gross Vehicle Weight

I used that and not actually weight it because I wanted to check manufacturer's math.
My V6, 4x4 Limited, is shown having a Curb Weight of 3699 lb. Also they show Payload capacity - 1021 lb.

Like I said above, my door sticker says GWVR=4720 lb. So 4720-3699=1021 lb, it checks out that website math.

That number is higher than the 815 lb number carrying capacity, from my actual sticker (with about 206 lb). Toyota says (in the picture from manual, posted above) that the formula is "for comparation only", so I have the feeling they know that they messed up this somehow.
Or maybe all the curb weights listed on websites are way too optimistic (by 206 lb).

PS: The GCWR represents a function of the engine’s torque output, the ratios and capacity of its transmission, its tires and driving axles’ capacity, its radiators cooling capacity, and finally the chassis’ ability to withstand the powertrain torque. It's not resulted directly from calculations.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Using tongue weight as a load place in a vehicle may introduce error into your calculations. It handling is one of the issues with safe towing then load distribution is important. Adding 350 lbs to the tongue significantly shifts loading of the rear tires than adding a 300lb person to the front seat. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I was using that 10% tongue load based on the manual. That's another thing that might be worth considering - they say 9-11%. That is different for1500 lb versus a 3500 lb rating, so, IMO, its really bad to use only the "tow rating" without other considerations.

Font Parallel Circle Motor vehicle Number

Font Art Brand Rectangle Circle

Rectangle Font Art Magenta Logo

·
Registered
573 Posts
I know when I was into car handling there was significant benefit of getting the center of gravity low and in the center of the vehicle. People would mount the battery in the trunk to shift the CG a few inches to the rear. The CG would shift rearward significantly by adding 350 lbs outside of the vehicle envelope.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts