Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished studing the owners manual for my RAV4.
The manual states (page 392):
occupants + luggage: 825 lbs but 1155 lbs with 3rd row. Wow, I'm so glad I got the 3rd row as my wife insisted (did she know something I didn't?).
While the 3rd row comes only with aluminium wheels, is there something else to explain the difference (springs, shocks, etc)?

·
Registered
233 Posts
When you look at the specifications, the 3rd rows are half or a quarter of an inch taller. I guess we have either different shocks or a different setting to keep up with the extra weight.

·
Premium Member
7,914 Posts
The 3rd seat models have larger front sway bars and a rear sway bar that the non-3rd seat models don't have. Probably heavier springs, too. Specs supplied by JIM4D and Summerwind.

Tim

Rav4.3 Specs

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quickdtoo said:
The 3rd seat models have larger front sway bars and a rear sway bar that the non-3rd seat models don't have. Probably heavier springs, too. Specs supplied by JIM4D and Summerwind.

Tim

RAV4.3 Specs
Don't know why I miss this useful info, thanks Tim for the repost.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are pros!
Thanks.
Looks like 3rd row is the way to go if one huals a lot of cargo.
Mental note: say thanks to wife.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The only problem with the 3rd row is you always hauling around an extra 250# or so of seat etc even if you don't need it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
flyingn said:
I do not think the extra seat equals anywhere near 250 lbs.. I would guess its more close to 60 lbs tops
I guess people compare the weight of the two versions. But what they forget is that the 3rd row has automatically the side airbags, towing package, and the suspension upgrade. All together add up to the number above.

D

·
0 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think that the 3-row has less cargo volume, even if it can handle more weight. After all, those seats take up room (and eliminate the underfloor storage you get on the 2-row).

·
Registered
79 Posts
DTphonehome said:
I could be wrong, but I think that the 3-row has less cargo volume, even if it can handle more weight. After all, those seats take up room (and eliminate the underfloor storage you get on the 2-row).
Since I have the 3rd seat (which I do not use), how much storage space am I loosing? I heard about about the underfloor storage, just curious how big that is.... :?: :?:

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
rcycholl said:
Since I have the 3rd seat (which I do not use), how much storage space am I loosing? I heard about about the underfloor storage, just curious how big that is.... :?: :?:
You're only losing the amount of space that the 3rd row seats fit in when folded into the floor... plus maybe a smaller area just towards the front of your 3rd row seats. I'm NOT sure about this second area... as I have NOT closely compared the two different models :?

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DTphonehome said:
To paraphrase the early 2006 RAV4 commercials, the 2-row versions has all that space to haul empty boxes (but not enough payload rating for full boxes).

D

·
0 Posts
rcycholl said:
It's actually rather spacious. I would estimate it as 10" deep, almost 3' wide, and about 20" long.

S

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering about this too. Could it be only harder springs at the back?

I would assume everything else is identical, except for the 3d row seats.

I have already seen aftermarket springs for the Rav4. I wonder if that is all to increased payload.

·
Premium Member
7,914 Posts
I was just looking for the spring rates in the new model specs .pdf from TIS, didn't find em, but did see that all models except the 2WD I4 Sport( a discrepancy?) have rear sway bars listed as standard, looked under my base V6 4WD, it has one! Toyota must have changed some things between the preliminary specs and the end product.

They also show 0-60 times of 6.7 for the V6 models except the base 2WD which is 6.9(another discrepancy?)

And to point out another discrepancy, they show fuel requirements for the V6 as 91 or higher, 87 for the I4.

Tim

EDIT: Here's the Specifications list I'm referring to.

http://home.comcast.net/~quickdtoo/Specifications.pdf

1 - 20 of 31 Posts