Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a PCV oil catch can, it's designed to catch oil, moisture, and carbon to keep the intake cleaner and extend the life of the engine. I didn't use the supplied air filter because the PCV system on the RAV4.1 is sealed.
-- 1 ea - Ruien Polish Baffled Universal Aluminum Oil Catch Can Reservoir Tank 400ml With Breather Filter Red (amazon.com)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would be interested to see a results picture of what you capture in there after a while. On my Rav GT4 the catch can is a wasted accessory.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would be interested to see a results picture of what you capture in there after a while. On my Rav GT4 the catch can is a wasted accessory.
Okay Jared, I'll provide some occasional updates with photos and descriptions of what I find lurking in the catch can. This was kind of an experiment when I discovered these things and the premise seemed sound but I wonder about their real effectiveness. There are some YouTube videos showing the ugly contents of the catch cans which kind of sold me on the idea and they are fairly inexpensive. All it cost me was for the catch can itself and I didn't like the cheap looking thin hoses provided so I dug through my project bin and put some leftover AN6 hose from my transmission cooler hose project to good use.

Of course there are a lot of differences in what may end up in there, quality of oil, engine maintenance, wear on engine, miles driven per trip, and even temperature as the colder it is the more condensation that would end up inside the engine and ultimately the catch can. I'm in Florida so I don't expect too much difference in seasonal temperatures and humidity.

Jared, if your catch can isn't catching anything maybe you have a problem with your PCV valve or a vacuum leak, definitively something to check into.

Just a reminder to everyone what the PCV system does for the engine, see https://dannysengineportal.com/pcv-valve-signs-bad-pcv-valve/
Thanks Danny Bender for a great article and I learned more about the PCV system.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is my first update showing the contents of the catch can 30 Dec 2018 after only 300 miles of short trips. The fluid you see is mostly water with a little oil. Before you ask no I don't have a blown head gasket, I believe this is just condensation from inside the engine. There is some grime in there that appears to be carbon. I'll try to get a clearer photo next time.

I also did an oil change today, new WIX WL7192 oil filter and Mobile 1 High Mileage 5w30. No signs of water in the oil.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hi eodgator,

You never cease to amaze. Scotty Kilmer's channel is always talking about oil catch cans. In my pre-SK life, I'd never heard of a catch can.

Where'd you buy yours, cost, installation steps?
Do you think my humble little 204,773-mi. FWD 5-speed RAV4 would benefit from a catch can? I do a mix of city and highway driving.

Tres coole.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what I bought, there are a lot of them out there most are identical Chinese stuff (as this one is) so just pick a good price. Some claim that their's is better, maybe, I don't know for sure but as most things someone buys them, puts the term "racing" or "performance" or better yet "performance racing" on the label and then they charge $300 for something that you can pick up at Amazon.com or eBay.com for around $30.00 US.

-- 1 ea - Ruien Polish Baffled Universal Aluminum Oil Catch Can Reservoir Tank 400ml With Breather Filter Red (amazon.com) $30.50. This is a good quality, sturdy, aesthetically pleasing, aluminum catch can. I just looked and I see that competition is kicking in and prices for some have dropped.

Installation, find a place that is big enough for it to be mounted upright and mount it securely there. I put it over where the ABS would be if I had one, but there is room on the firewall if you prefer. It comes with a short piece of really crappy hose that I discarded. I had some leftover 6AN stainless clad Teflon hose from my remote oil filter project and used that instead. Of course, you just use any quality fuel line as well. It comes with a 3/8" and a 1/2" hose barb so depending on the size of hose that your PCV is using go with that. On RAV4.1's 3/8" works fine. You run the hose from the PCV to the "IN" on the catch can and the "OUT" goes to the intake manifold PCV port. If you buy one with a filter, don't use it on a PCV system, you'll just break the vacuum and it will cause engine problems. The filter is for pre-PCV cars that just had a vent from the valve cover or head down to ground. I added a small bit of stainless steel scrubbing pad loosely inside the baffle chamber of the catch can at the recommendation from others. It's supposed to help more bad stuff to remain in the catch can by giving the liquids more surface area to condensate on. Since the photos were taken I added some anti chaff padding on the A/C hose to keep the stainless steel hoses from abrading it.

You cannot install a filter in-line on the PCV system, the PCV gasses are too nasty, oil, water, carbon, it would clog up very fast.

That's pretty much all there is to it, doesn't take long and is an inexpensive mod that may extend engine life, as far as I can see there is no downside.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good video Mick Hatzo, I stand corrected about that there are low and high end catch cans out there and about in-line filtration in the PCV system. It did convince me to go ahead and loosely fill the collector part with stainless steel wool, I wasn't sure if I should. The one I have is better than nothing and according to my vacuum test isn't lowering the vacuum and it isn't going to clog like a filter which would be bad unless you have bypass valves. A high compression diesel like the article was written for may benefit from a high performance catch can with filters and such but I don't think that it is that important on the 3S-FE engine to add a high maintenance filter to the PCV system. I'll stick with my low end system, it's obviously working, just not as good as the high performance ones. When I upgrade the engine I later I'll revisit this and decide which way to go.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
I installed a PCV oil catch can, it's designed to catch oil, moisture, and carbon to keep the intake cleaner and extend the life of the engine. I didn't use the supplied air filter because the PCV system on the RAV4.1 is sealed.
-- 1 ea - Ruien Polish Baffled Universal Aluminum Oil Catch Can Reservoir Tank 400ml With Breather Filter Red (amazon.com)

eodgator, can you post the link of your kit, including the lines. Thanks. Happy New Year.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the link for the one I purchased, https://www.amazon.com/Ruien-Universal-Breather-Aluminum-Separator-Reservoir/dp/B06XKCRH1R/ref=sr_1_53_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1546366560&sr=1-53-spons&keywords=Oil+Catch+Can+plastic&psc=1

However after watching the video and learning more about these things there are better choices out there. You cannot use the air filters that you see on some of these, it will break vacuum and can damage your engine because you must have vacuum to pull the gasses and debris out of the engine. The filters would be for cars that don't have PCV systems.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts

eodgator, when you removed the inlet and out let from the head cover and the intake manifold, any problems? Mine are located slightly to the right, closer to the throttle body cable.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Eodgator needs to do this to my engine. What a work of art. Belongs in the MOMA in NYC.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I had some left over AN6 stainless steel braided PTFE Teflon hose from my transmission cooler hose project and I used that.
I used the hose ends that clamp on. They no longer have the brand I bought but order whatever you like.

4 ft - AN6 Braided stainless steel PTFE Hose - amazon.com
4 ea - Russell 622260 Chrome -6AN Tube Seal Fuel Hose End - amazon.com

Or you could just use standard fuel/oil line.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you haven't worked with AN stainless steel covered hose before, a little advise.
- Tape it up where you are going to cut to keep it from fraying.
- An angle grinder with a thin cutting wheel cuts this stuff great
- Make square cuts
- Cut the hose a little longer than needed so if you muck up a cut or connector you have room to cut it off and try again.
- Careful, this stuff will bite at the ends where it frays and so will the remains that you cut off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts