Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have just bought a Rav4 for my wife. I cant find a Haynes manual for it but want to do some maintenance on it. I have heard about a PCV valve on here, what is it, what does it do, where, and how do I change it? Also I need to know plug gaps etc if anyone can advise me.
The car is an "N" registered '96, GX.
Also the rear interior light doesnt work but the bulb is fine......any ideas?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/html/ccr/ccr20050101pv.html

A little description of what the PCV valve does. On the Rav4, it sits forward of the spark plugs, just behind the exhaust heat shield, if I'm remembering correctly. It has a fat base and a 90 degree angled nipple. If you know what it looks like, you'll see the second you open the hood. Replacing it should be a quick task. Disconnect the hose, pull the valve out of the rubber grommet it sits in. Make sure to do this carefully. If the grommet is worn and separates, you're going to have to remove the part that falls into the head. Once successfully removed, just pop the new one back in (it has a small notch, match it up), reconnect the hose, and you're done.

Plug gaps should be in the manual. For mine, a 1999 4.1, it was 1.1mm or 0.044 inch.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I replaced this recently as a servicable part (Haynes recommends every 30,000 miles). It was simple but I have had trouble getting the PCV valve to lay exactly flat with the top of the engine (the pipe attaching to it is quite short). It does not seem to make much difference though and the engine idles fine. I bought a new gasket/grommet but was unable to fit it. The old one was really tightly in there and I decided it was good enough to stay put.

On the rear light, if it is not the fuse (I doubt it is otherwise your clock would be out, together with lots of other electrical equipment) try pushing the buttons that activate the light on the rear door seals a few times. Sometimes these get "sticky" and can cause problems with interior lights.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What does this PCV valve do?
How did you find a Haynes manual? It isnt listed on their web site..........and I dont have a manual for the plug gaps??????

·
Registered
880 Posts
c.tupman said:
How did you find a Haynes manual? It isnt listed on their web site..........and I dont have a manual for the plug gaps??????
The PCV valve evacuates vapor from the crankcase and puts it into the combustion chamber. It prevents sludge in the engine and helps with fuel milage. There is no need to replace it if it's not bad. It's usually only bad if you've overfilled the oil or had the engine overheat. To check it, just pull it out of the valve cover and shake it, if it rattles, that means it's ok. If not you can usually just clean it with carb cleaner but they are cheap so you might as well put a new one in.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
c.tupman said:
Dude, click on the link I provided to find out what it does.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do you think a new PCV valve can effect fuel mileage by a lot? It seems to be a pretty important part, yet cheap enough to justify, just wondering if anybody who replaced theirs, noticed a difference in fuel economy... let me know if you get a chance,,thanks guys,,,,

·
Registered
880 Posts
peppster66 said:
Do you think a new PCV valve can effect fuel mileage by a lot? It seems to be a pretty important part, yet cheap enough to justify, just wondering if anybody who replaced theirs, noticed a difference in fuel economy... let me know if you get a chance,,thanks guys,,,,
I would say it would have very little effect if any, although a bad one can ruin an engine if left long enough.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know the plug gaps I need for my car?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can get a Haynes, but I got a Chilton repair manual off Amazon for £14.95. It's US/ Canadian, but they are still debating whether to publish a British version. Same basic principles though, and better pictures than I've had with a Haynes - just remember that capacities are different between US gallons & Imperial gallons and you have all the info you'll need. Type in 'Chilton toyota manual' on Amazon.co.uk search.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts