Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My 2011 Rav4 Pearl White paint is delaminating. I've had the roof repainted due to this problem, and now the driver's side rear quarter panel is delaminating. The Toyota-certified paint shop said this is definitely delimitation. Toyota Corporate is, for the most part, ignoring this problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?

See photos.

Thanks,
F

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 08 Ltd with pearl white paint doing the same on the top. Paint just lifting g off. Have not yet contacted Toyota. Would also be interested in knowing if others out there have this issue.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I have an 08 Ltd with pearl white paint doing the same on the top. Paint just lifting g off. Have not yet contacted Toyota. Would also be interested in knowing if others out there have this issue.

Read Post # 2 and click on the link!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello All,

My 2011 Rav4 Pearl White paint is delaminating. I've had the roof repainted due to this problem, and now the driver's side rear quarter panel is delaminating. The Toyota-certified paint shop said this is definitely delimitation. Toyota Corporate is, for the most part, ignoring this problem.

See photos.

Thanks,
F
Here is a link of my experience with paint chipping. It was already past the warranty period but my dealer took care of it. Hope this helps.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/146098-paint-chipping-rav4-2010-v6.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello All,

See photos. Thanks, F

Well, my 2000 RAV's paint is doing fine, she's sheltered in a car port, but still outdoors 24/7. Crossing my fingers. Paint problems, like what you're describing, are VERY often caused by poor quality primer, so getting a touch-up paint job, or even a full repaint might mean more problems in the near future unless the primer is fully sealed and stabilized first. You could check with Toyota to see if they changed paint or primer formulas sometime after the 2000 model year. I'll bet they did. Anyway, if you go to Maaco, or any other place for a repaint, get a warranty. In writing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Paint delaminating

We are also having issues with the paint peeling off on our 2012 RAV4. It started on the roof in the center just above the windshield and is now almost completely bare from the windshield to the sunroof. More recently it has started peeling off the fender, mirrors and the fuel door. I've seen cars from the 50's whose paint is intact so why should I have to pay to repaint this car! I have three other cars at my home exposed to the same environment that do not have the paint falling off them like this. I wish I had a solution to post here but so far it looks like Toyota doesn't accept any responsibility for the problem. We have had other RAV4 owners stop to let us know they are having the same issue and like us Toyota says its not their problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 Pearl white. Dealership says not they're fault. Pushed them and they'll have a Toyota rep look at it. Seriously? Look at this roof.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,025 Posts
2012 Pearl white. Dealership says not they're fault. Pushed them and they'll have a Toyota rep look at it. Seriously? Look at this roof.
Guess what? It's not their fault, they didn't paint the car! Sounds like they are doing their part getting a rep in to see it first hand.

It really is awful and I'm truly sorry that you're having to deal with it. Mine is also blizzard white pearl tricoat so I watch this with interest. So far no problems. Even if there were it's 10 years old so I'd be SOL.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
There have been numerous complaints on this forum about peeling paint, if I recall nearly always if not always white. Seems that yours is the worst I've seen. As RTexasF says the dealer is not responsible, any responsibility lies with Toyota themselves. Good that they're having a Toyota rep have a look. Hopefully Toyota will have the roof properly resprayed at no charge to you but they are not obligated to so so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guess what? It's not their fault, they didn't paint the car! Sounds like they are doing their part getting a rep in to see it first hand.

It really is awful and I'm truly sorry that you're having to deal with it. Mine is also blizzard white pearl tricoat so I watch this with interest. So far no problems. Even if there were it's 10 years old so I'd be SOL.
In my desire to be concise, I may have been too flippant or brief. They were going to do nothing. Only after pushback did they agree to have a rep look at it. There is absolutely no reason for this to have happened except for a factory defect. If the quality of Toyota vehicles is such that a "certified" car will have paint the size of my hand flying off the roof while driving down the highway 2 years after purchase, I expect them to stand by their product and if they don't, I'll use every means necessary to get the job done.
It's not their fault in the literal sense, but it is a disappointment that when something obviously is defective, that they would have me jump through aggravating hoops and go through several layers of management just to do me the favor of having Toyota look at the car. Hopefully, your paint will be ok.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,617 Posts
I passed a Blizzard Pearl Limited a while back. The roof was peeling, but not as bad as yours, but the paint was also peeling around the fender wells. I wish I had taken a picture.

·
Super Moderator
11,025 Posts
In my desire to be concise, I may have been too flippant or brief. They were going to do nothing. Only after pushback did they agree to have a rep look at it. There is absolutely no reason for this to have happened except for a factory defect. If the quality of Toyota vehicles is such that a "certified" car will have paint the size of my hand flying off the roof while driving down the highway 2 years after purchase, I expect them to stand by their product and if they don't, I'll use every means necessary to get the job done.
It's not their fault in the literal sense, but it is a disappointment that when something obviously is defective, that they would have me jump through aggravating hoops and go through several layers of management just to do me the favor of having Toyota look at the car. Hopefully, your paint will be ok.
Understood. Any dealer worth their salt would have seen the obvious manufacturing problem and offered to help. I did not realize you had to fight them in order to hopefully get something done. Best of luck with the outcome and keep us posted please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sorry I've been away from this post for a while.

WOW! I don't see how any car dealer could have their name pasted to the back of a vehicle with obvious issues like yours (ours.)

I have gone through every avenue I can think of to get my issue with my Rav4 fixed. Toyota is not going to budge and the local dealer says it's not their problem.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Perhaps there is a class action lawsuit covering this situation, or one can be started . . . lawyers likely will get a large portion of any monetary award, but hopefully the bad paint situations can be remedied without being billed to the RAV owners who have been affected.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our 2010 Rav also has pain delaminating. One chip on the right side A pillar is the biggest at 3"x2", the rest are only chips. Was going to take it to an auto paint shop and see what they'd charge just for fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2009 Rav4 Limited 6 cylinder has an approximately 2 1/2 Sq.Ft. roof section where the paint has delaminated! Since Toyota has washed its hands of this issue, when it's time to replace my Rva4 4 I guess I'll be getting a Mazda CX5.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
My 2009 Rav4 Limited 6 cylinder has an approximately 2 1/2 Sq.Ft. roof section where the paint has delaminated! Since Toyota has washed its hands of this issue, when it's time to replace my Rva4 4 I guess I'll be getting a Mazda CX5.
Nothing wrong with RAV4s, just don't get a Blizzard White one.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts