Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I had a baby. When the baby was born I purchased her a 2009 rav4 sport V6. She loved it.

Well about 4-5 weeks ago she was rear ended while sitting behind a school bus. The crash caused her to have a second crash into a tree.

Luckily she is alive and the baby was not in the truck.

We got such a great deal on that rav 4 that one and a half years later we broke even after the accident.

Well I was searching for another car for her when I found another rav4. I decided to let her drive my Focus St until we find a better newer Rav.

For now I picked up a 1998 Rav4 2dr AWD with 90k for $3000 out the door.

I can't wait to mod it with some cool Japanese parts.

My old ravs and new in pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am always paranoid about being rear ended in our 2 door Rav4, especially when I have rear passengers... Glad it wasn't in that Rav4!

Is your '98 a hard top? I thought they were all convertibles?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1998.5 -1999 are soft top. There is also a very rare 2000 2dr hardtop in the USA. I had the chance to buy one and simply could not get out to Vegas to get it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
1998.5 -1999 are soft top.

So how many early 1998 hard tops did they make? I do not recall ever seeing one.

For a while there were TWO Rav4.2 two door Rav4's in CT. They were sold as "farm vehicles", so they weren't properly imported to be used on the street. But they wanted very short money for them (around $3000-$4000 IIRC, which was a bargain back then!)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remember them two door 4.2's for sale. I was contemplating buying a wrecked 4.2 4 door and making a daily driver out of one.

I don't know how many 98 2 doors were made hard top. If I were to guess I'd say less then 200. Probably only 150 on the road now. I base this on how many I see for sale over the last 10 years. And how many I see out and about driving.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Welcome back, I took a bit of a break from here too. The rav looks great, I us mine as a dd to work. I love the short wheel base for city navigation.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
If I remember correctly the 4.2's that were for sale ended up being Jonway clones.

Jonway (UFO) 3door | ChinaAutoWeb
Were you in Philadelphia at the time? As far as I know, Jonway vehicles were never sold in the US, and I'm certain the 2-door (or 3-door) RAV4 4.2 was never sold here.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Were you in Philadelphia at the time? As far as I know, Jonway vehicles were never sold in the US, and I'm certain the 2-door (or 3-door) RAV4 4.2 was never sold here.

They were on the east coast here, someone had them imported and were selling them pretty cheap. It was a few years ago. 99 percent positive they were Jonway's, they were listed as farm utility vehicles.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
They were on the east coast here, someone had them imported and were selling them pretty cheap. It was a few years ago. 99 percent positive they were Jonway's, they were listed as farm utility vehicles.
OK, that makes sense. Without US government testing, they wouldn't be street legal, so they get around that by listing them as farm vehicles.

Recently people who had imported vintage Land Rover Defenders had them confiscated by our wonderful government because they didn't meet US specs and they were driving them on the road. But it turns out if they are 25 years old or older, the government has to give them back:

The Feds Just Seized 40 Land Rovers Imported To The U.S.

Feds driven to admit dozens of Land Rover seizures were wrong

Why Are The Feds Obsessed With Seizing These People's Old Trucks?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Glad to see you back.
:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts