Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'd like to know if anyone has put a chip on their rav4 either for performance or fuel economy.
I have many friends who claim they have fuel savings after adding a chip, they all have picup truck so I don't know if this is representative for an SUV.

If anyone have done it what brand what fuel savings and performances.
I have a Rav4 Sport 2010.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
With Toyota and other car makers spending millions of dollars to increase fuel economy because of U.S. CAFE it is unlikely that there would be any third party device available which would accomplish more than the car manufacturers are for any given car model.

Any product which is advertised as magically increasing fuel mileage likely would be "snake oil."

·
Super Moderator
11,071 Posts
What's interesting is some of the throttle controllers on the market such as SprintBooster claim to have economy and power options altho they actually do neither. In "power" mode all they do is electronically push the gas pedal quicker making the vehicle feel more responsive, but it's nothing the driver couldn't do with his right foot.
Conversely the "economy" mode "pushes" the pedal less aggressively than stock, again the same thing the driver could do on his own. Point is don't expect any throttle controller to give better economy.

And for at least 40 years gasoline powered vehicles have been mandated to operate at a 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio. Trying to run them leaner, at least on OBDII vehicles, will result in a CE light and failed emissions. That means that the only way to improve economy is to reduce the volume of air being used so less fuel will be needed. If you can make a product that does that you'd be rich.

·
Registered
659 Posts
14-16:1 A/F ratio are for cruising and hot idle. Under load condition and at WOT, very few engines run these A/F ratio. Depending if the engine is N/A or forced induction, the A/F will vary from around 10.5-13:1 in load and WOT conditions.

Power (and economy) are not only an A/F thing. So many things enter the recipe: piston and combustion chamber shape, angle between the valve, compression ratio, cam timing, cams lobe profiles, ignition timing, intake manifold shape and length, exhaust flowing, engine temperature, rotating mass (weight of all moving parts inside the engine and drivetrain), etc, etc.... and even the oïl viscosity!

Toyota ECU's are not flashable (except the Scion FRS/Toyota 86, because it's a Subaru ECU). But some devices named ''piggy-back'' can alter and modify the signal from the MAP and MAF sensors before they enter the ECU, to obtain a different A/F ratio at a desired RPM and TPS angle. The one i'm the most used to work with is the Apexi AFC Neo (older version were called Apexi SAFC and SAFC II). But to use it, a good wide-band is needed... and also some tuning knowledge. It's easy to make the engine drive crappy... and even create damage.

A piggy-back is good to gain some power. But fuel efficiency wise, it's not worth the effort. Like Dr. Dyno said in different words; vehicles are factory tuned to be almost the more economical possible. Exception is at WOT: they run a little richer than needed by safety.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
Performance Chip for Fuel Economy?
In short there is no such thing. Back in the 80's there were actual chips that could be removed and replaced with different ones. I know this because I did so. This is no longer the case. Drive for economy and forget any so called chip.

·
Super Moderator
11,071 Posts
This IS my business with Harleys. Altho we don't actually change physical chips there are half a dozen reporgrammers available and one very good add-on tuner, the PowerCommander.
But in 99% of cases the owner is willing to give up a couple mpg for a smoother, cooler and more responsive ride. In Daytona last week I did give one rider better economy but that was only because someone had previously tuned the bike too rich with the PowerCommander.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts