Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the past few days, I have begun to notice that my front driver's side power window has been acting rather sluggish. So I decided to do a little scientific test to compare the performance of my RAV's power windows. Here are the results that I got:

Driver's Front: Up: 6.05 sec (Down: 4.73 sec)

Passenger Front: Up: 4.63 sec (Down: 3.78 sec)

Driver Rear: Up: 4.11 sec (Down: 3.38 sec)

Passenger Rear: Up: 4.26 sec (Down: 3.59 sec)

I timed each window going up and down for 3 trials then took the average of each (up/down) to get my results.

What findings do I observe from these results:
1)The front driver's side power window motor is slowly dying :cry:
2) The front passenger side power window will probably go next. :(

Now that I think about it, the front drivers window gets the most heavy usage. On occassion, when my wife is riding in the front passenger seat, she will lower her window too; but not that often.

I am curious to find out what power window performance results others might have, to see whether this is normal wear and tear or not. Oh, by the way mine's is a 1998 model with about 40,000 miles on the odometer. Finally we can compare some performance numbers for our RAVs and do some informal bench racing. :lol:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have not timed my windows but they seem consistent with your findings. The rear windows are the fastest (prolly coz they don't get used much and are smaller and have less of a distance to travel).

The driver's window is almost as fast as the rear ones. Remember i'm in Oz so our driver's side window is on the right side.

The front passenger window is the slowest of the lot (especially when going up) even though it doesn't get used that much. So maybe Toyota was putting different speed motors on different doors? In our 2003 LandCruiser all 4 windows go up and down at the same speed and they are bloody fast!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gee, I just run mine up and down all day until the cable breaks then replace it with one from the junk year!! I had to replace one in my '98, but each windo only goes up and dwon about 75 times a day......
Maybe in my spare time I should time them!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Hey Derek,
How about making a video.... :p you are silly.. I started laughing when I was reading the post about you timing the windows.... I bet I can roll my manual windows down quicker....

P

·
0 Posts
and he averaged the times too :lol:

Mine are all at different speeds, but I swear the driver window is the fastest of the lot.

I think that with the power windows, you use them or loose them. So make sure you wind your windows up and down (all four of them) at least once every few days, gotta keep the motor working 8)

Im thinking of taking the door panels apart to lube the motors when I get a chance.

Once thing I have noticed though, when I wind all motors up at once they are really slow, and at times the headlights also dim :? so im thinking it just might be that my battery is a little underpowered.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Your battery is not underpowered, that happens on every car. One window motor alone takes a decent amount of juice to work, and if you use all four at the same time that's a lot of current draw.

J

·
0 Posts
Jeff said:
Your battery is not underpowered, that happens on every car. One window motor alone takes a decent amount of juice to work, and if you use all four at the same time that's a lot of current draw.
^ Very true, I can verify that ^

Also, speed will slow down when used often. For example, it's perfectly normal for the driver side window to end up slower beacause it's used more. Also, check out the lubrcation on the window track on the driver side window Derek. It may be that simple, it's not uncommon on any power window system. The window motor should be last resort IMO. 8)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the replys everyone. I will attempt to lubricate the window track. Do you know whether I will have to remove the door panel/plastic shield to get to the tracks; or just shoot some lubricant from the top.

What lubricant will work? WD-40? Silicone based lubricant? All I know is that the drivers window seems to take forever to go up and down. Anyone want to time theirs just for the fun of it so that I can see whether my windows need maintenance or not. :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
DEREK!!
NO shooting it in from the top!!
All you will do is spray it all over.
The slidder is on a track and a cable takes it up and down. When I replaced the drivers side on my '98 the cable is what broke from getting dry of grease. I used white grease on it that comes in a little tube. Lube the two sides of the slidder track and the cable. You will need to take the door panel off to do it.
Have fun and time it after you get it all greased up.

T

·
0 Posts
The front windows are heavier than the rear ones. The front driver side window benefits all the switches.....therefore current is slow and goes up or down the slowest.

-John-

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tip Stelly. I remember spraying some lithium grease down the top of the window of my older RX-7 once and it worked wonders. I'll give it a try and re-time it for you.

Toysport, is that true for all cars. Now I am thinking about timing my wife's 2002 Camry to see if her driver's side window is the slowest too. She does not even roll down her windows at all; only when going through some drive throughs. :lol:

T

·
0 Posts
Toysport, is that true for all cars. Now I am thinking about timing my wife's 2002 Camry to see if her driver's side window is the slowest too. She does not even roll down her windows at all; only when going through some drive throughs.
Age in general can be the main factor. For instance, the condition of their sliders, the lubricant used may have deteriorated over the years, or even your electrical system such as alternator. This is usually an elimination process in figuring out the cause.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Derek there is nothing wrong with your power windows, even if they are running slow. They're one of those things that either works or it doesn't. Do what Stelly said and lubricate them, because that will extend the life of the motors. Anything else is a waste of time. I have never driven a car that had perfect power windows, even brand new cars.

·
Registered
682 Posts
How come everyone is saying that the driver's side window is the slowest where in my case it's one of the fastest. The front passenger's side window in my RAV is the slowest.

Jeff, if you want to expereince perfect windows try a LandCruiser. Our 2 year old LandCruiser has the fastest windows i've seen in a car (they are pretty big windows) and all of them go up and down at the same speed. And i love the fact that they all have auto up/down feature :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
The damage from the crash was on the driver's side and the window made it thru the crash. But the motor could have been damaged. From the pics below do you think the motor would have been replaced? I'm not sure where the motor is inside the door. I would have to check the repair report to see if a new motor was installed.

J

·
0 Posts
Yep, I bet they replaced it on yours Moza. :wink: With that kind of damage, even though the window itself made it, the mechinisms of the power windows was most likely replaced. :)

Oh, and Derek, like Stelly said, you can get access to the window track from the inside door panel, not from the top. And, I have always used lithium grease to lubracate it, with no problem at all. However, there are spacfic products for lubracating the track available. Hope this helps ya' 8)

P

·
0 Posts
Boys, my Driver side window motor just started sounding a bit "funny" :?

It works (and sounds) well when the window is going up but makes extra noise when the window is going down, like its struggling.

Has anyone experienced this before? Also, im told the motors are fully sealed units this means I cant reallly grease the motor mechanism now can I? :roll:

The other question I wanted to ask is, do you guys reckon the front motor is interchangable with the rear one?

J

·
0 Posts
Prav, 9 times out of 10, it's not the motor that is the problem. So in most cases, the motor is good, it's just working harder than it wants to. That's where lubracating the window tracks helps. It lessens the load on the motor bigtime, making the motor happy. :wink: As far as motors being interchagable...not sure on that one. :?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts