Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am asking for opinions about things like performance CPU upgrades/tunes or exhaust systems designed with performance in mind.

I know the Rav4 traditionally has not been an "enthusiasts" vehicle, but with the new powerful V6 (especially with the sport suspension), it may be a market Toyota can supply for.

Just in the past few years, the "sport performance" market for SUVs has really blossomed. The appearance (and in most cases success) of the Saturn Vue Redline, Trailblazer SS, Grand Cherokee SRT8...and for a few more dollars the Porsche Cayenne and the BMW X5 has shown there is interest here.

The new Rav4 can hold it's own performance wise with most of those vehicles in acceleration (better than the Vue Redline, only a few ticks behind the Trailblazer SS, and I think pretty close to the 'cheaper' porsche Cayenne).

I'm just thinking, a SLIGHTLY lowered Rav4 sport V6, with maybe a dual exit exhaust coming out of the back, and an engine tune to get a few extra horsepower, would be pretty cool.

Here's hoping someone else is thinking that...and maybe developing something.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, sport version is lowered, has 18" lower profile tires, and its suspension is tighter...

Plus, I am sure you will have plenty of TRD suspension options come 3-4 months...

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
Well, with the 3.5L V6 being Toyota's all-around midsize workhorse engine (first in the Avalon, then the IS350 and most recently in the just-announced 2007 Camry, likely the Highlander, Sierra and maybe more), I'd expect all kinds of TRD parts to be made for it.

Also remember that the Lexus IS350 tuned version of this V6 already attains specs of 306 hp @ 6,400 rpm and 277 lb/ft torque @ 4,800 rpm! 8) :D

Configured stock in the RAV4, it's tuned for a slightly less powerful 269 hp @ 6,200 rpm and 246 lb/ft torque @ 4,700 rpm.

Vrooom!! Vroooooom!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Good point Tony,

And that was exactly what I was wondering when I first read about the V6 RAV4.

Knowing that it shares a motor with the new IS350, things look very encouraging from a performance standpoint.

Does anyone know what the gear ratios are in the AWD versions?

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
This RAV4 has the power of a Nissan X-terra, but a lot more lighter. I hope TRD take into consideration at least a Supercharger. If it does, the performance of the RAV4 V6 will be impressive. I knew sooner or later this little baby had to work on the Toyota's' mind.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
spwolfx said:
well, sport version is lowered, has 18" lower profile tires, and its suspension is tighter...

Plus, I am sure you will have plenty of TRD suspension options come 3-4 months...
I do not think the sport version is lowered. It has the 18" wheels and sport suspension, but it is not lowered like the Vue Redline or the Trailblazer SS.

Check out the brochure, it says sport suspension, but not lowered. Also, look at the specs...the ground clearance and ride height is exactly the same on the sport as it is on the other models.

I do WISH it was lowered a bit. Even 3/4 of an inch would be just slight enough to make it look a bit better in the sport model.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I used an online calculator to compare the difference in the two tire sizes. I think the difference, in height, was ~ .4 of an inch. But not all tires sizes measure out the same either. One size in one brand could end up being physically different than the same size in another brand.

I used the calculators at www.ring-pinion.com

Oh yeah, the Sport's were the shorter of the two, IIRC.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it is lowered by 0.5".

You will have plenty of options from TRD and aftermarket, but you will have to wait for about an year to get engine performance upgrades, since those take longer.

Although, with 270hp engine and lightweight chasis, do you really need much more?

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
OK, how is a curb weight of 3500-3700 lbs (for the V6, I4 is 3300-3500) a lightweight chassis? :lol:

For comparison, the RAV4.2 was only 2900-3200 lbs.

I'm sure there's a lot of poundage you could strip out for the sake of performance, but it's not really that desirable with the latest model, is it?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
karrock said:
OK, how is a curb weight of 3500-3700 lbs (for the V6, I4 is 3300-3500) a lightweight chassis? :lol:

I'm sure there's a lot of poundage you could strip out for the sake of performance, but it's not really that desirable with the latest model, is it?
The extra size of the vehicle adds weight... in the case of the 6 cylinder, the engine and the 5 speed auto add weight....More safety equipment adds weight...bigger wheels add weight..those things plus more I'm forgetting add up.

I think they term it a "lightweight chassis" because it is relativley light compared to it's competitors. It is almost exactly the same size as the Saturn Vue, and weighs about the same. It weighs less than the Chevy Equinox, Pontiac Torrent, and Jeep Liberty.

If you take a step up to the truck based-mid sized SUVs like the Trailblazer and the Exlorer or Envoy, it is much lighter. I drove in a Trailblazer a few weeks ago and it's bigger, but not a whole lot bigger inside...yet those vehicles weigh close to 4500 lbs.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
karrock said:

For its size and features, it is lightweight. New Mazda CX and Ford Edge are a lot heavier... and rav4 is a more powerful vehicle too. So it is lighter and more powerful :).

Which is why 0-60 will be less than 7 secs. In fact, Avalon can do it in 6 sec flat (according to C&D) and it is HEAVIER than Rav4. Of course, Rav4 as SUV has worse Cd so it will be slower for sure, we will see how much soon enough.

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
The CX-7 is 3700 to 3900 (2WD/4WD), so yes it's about 400lbs on the low end and 200lbs heavier on the top end. But then, the 4-cylinder in the RAV4 is no comparison to the turbo fours in the CX-7 or the RDX.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
why would you compare it to 4cly? Since even V6 Rav4 is considerably cheaper than CX7....

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
CX-7 starts at $24k... Yes, you can option it up to $34k, but then you get options that aren't available on the RAV4 (or have to get from the dealer)...

RAV4 No Impact No Idea
Xenon HID Headlamps
DVD Navigation System
Rear View Camera
Sirius Satellite Radio
6-Speed Automatic Transmission
Keyless Entry and Start

RAV4 Dealer Install
Autodimming Mirror w/ Compass & Homelink
Trailer Hitch
Remote Engine Start

1 - 19 of 19 Posts