Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just an observation here folks.

I've had my RAV4 for a month now, and after buying it (and before) I seem to have developed a strange tendency to "involuntarily socialize" with fellow RAV4 owners. For example, tonight I was assembling a car washing kit at my local dollar tree when a beautifully cleaned black 2002 model pulled up in the lot.

Being the shy maven that I am -- and as I've done this with every RAV owner I've met -- I walked right up, introduced myself, and asked the owner the most important question that has ever been asked of any car owner:

If you were going to buy a new car today, would you buy another RAV4?

I've now asked this question to no less than eight gen1 and gen2 owners (50% men/50% women) in my local area and in every single case, the response has been a resounding "absolutely yes!".

A couple even said "this is my second RAV4".

That ladies and gentlemen says something.

Without having actually seen a 2006 in person (only pictures) and wanting to be fair about it, I can only hope that Toyota hasn't condemned the RAV4 by destroying it's loveable "cute ute" character in the 2006 model...

Wayne
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I would buy another, given my current situation. However, if it was going to be my primary vehicle (the RAV4 is the wifes primary driver, not mine), I would NOT buy a RAV4. It just doesn't have the sporty handling/performance that I like. I personally don't care for SUVs, but found the RAV4 an adequate compromise, as I am expecting a child in December. To put it into perspective though; I traded away my beloved 350Z for it. :( Now I drive a cruddy 94 del Sol. I am thinking that I will replace the Sol in a year or two with a WRX, Celica, tC, Mustang GT(prolly not this one, bad vehicle for year round driving in NH), another 350Z, or the 2007 Civic Si.

I'm rambling. Basically, for what it is, it's a great vehicle; just not my TYPE of vehicle in general.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nread said:
I would buy another, given my current situation. However, if it was going to be my primary vehicle (the RAV4 is the wifes primary driver, not mine), I would NOT buy a RAV4.
I think the problem here, aside from having missed the point, is that you're "spoiled" to higher-end cars.

Sure. Hell yes, most men would prefer owning a 350Z, a Corvette, or other uber-car which brings back their testosterone to freaky levels.

The point of my post however is that I have been asking local owners how they feel, and every one of them says they would buy another RAV4 if they were replacing their current one.

To me, "would you buy another one" is a far more valuable question than "how do you like your xyz". Most people like the car they are driving (otherwise they'd buy a different one). However, most people you will find would not say that they would buy another one like they currently own, so I found the responses I was getting to be rather unique.

Wayne
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
nread said:
I would buy another, given my current situation.
Explain to me how I missed the point? Seems to me I answered pretty well. I was just expanding for the sake of discussion, instead of simply saying "yah, me too."

I would venture to guess that you aren't a driving enthusiast to make the assumption that it is all about bringing "back their testosterone to freaky levels."

Wayne said:
I think the problem here, aside from having missed the point, is that you're "spoiled" to higher-end cars.

Sure. Hell yes, most men would prefer owning a 350Z, a Corvette, or other uber-car which brings back their testosterone to freaky levels.

The point of my post however is that I have been asking local owners how they feel, and every one of them says they would buy another RAV4 if they were replacing their current one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi.

Please don't get defensive here. There's no need, as there was absolutely no intent to insult in my reply.

You said in one sentence how "you'd buy another one" then had three paragraphs about how the RAV4 pales in comparison to your 350Z. Sure, a RAV4 will in most ways pale in comparison to a 350Z, or any other $35,000 car, but that was not the point of my post.

The point of my post was how -- when asked -- every LOCAL RAV4 owner I have talked to both "loved their car" and "would buy another one" (which is an extreme rarity for a car), hence I simply felt that you missed the point.

If my observation missed the mark, you have my sincere apologies but there's no reason for either of us to be aggressive here.

--- edit : and oh yeah, I've been a "driving enthusiast" for 23 years now and I've owned and driven my share of high performance (as well as high tech) sports cars, but at 6'4" and 280#, the simple fact is that most cars aren't built to accommodate my frame. There's also the fact that I just cannot justify the gas prices or insurance at this point in my life.

I wish you the best of luck with your pending child birth, but if it's your first, you might not realize that your perspective is about to change a great deal as well.

Wayne
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
No insult taken. I try not to take anything personal on the car forums (I am a member of a dozen or so). I guess I got a little defensive there, since I am still having a hard time adjusting to not having my Z. I just don't have any passion for driving my current vehicles anymore, and it is frustrating. Driving was one of my outlets to unwind from the 9-5.

I didn't want to imply that the RAV4 was less of a vehicle than the Z. Just that it is less of a perfect fit for me personally. Have you ever tried to drive through a muddy dirt road in the rain with a RWD, low clearance sports car? I will be the first to tell you that the 4WD RAV is far superior for that. As it also is for toting people/stuff. I can sympathize with you about the size issue; I am 6' 200lbs, and I have some fitment issues in a few cars ...I can imagine what another 4" and 80 lbs would do. (although in the Z's defense, it has as much headroom as the RAV with sunroof does, and boatloads of legroom). You should see me getting into the del Sol. With the top off, it is easier for me to just step over the door than it is to open it and slide in :D You are right that my original post strayed from your intention for this thread. I wanted to clarify myself a bit more than just agreeing with you, and in doing so went off on a tangent. My apologies. No harm meant.

Wayne said:
Hi.

Please don't get defensive here. There's no need, as there was absolutely no intent to insult in my reply.

You said in one sentence how "you'd buy another one" then had three paragraphs about how the RAV4 pales in comparison to your 350Z. Sure, a RAV4 will in most ways pale in comparison to a 350Z, or any other $35,000 car, but that was not the point of my post.

The point of my post was how -- when asked -- every LOCAL RAV4 owner I have talked to both "loved their car" and "would buy another one" (which is an extreme rarity for a car), hence I simply felt that you missed the point.

If my observation missed the mark, you have my sincere apologies but there's no reason for either of us to be aggressive here.

--- edit : and oh yeah, I've been a "driving enthusiast" for 23 years now and I've owned and driven my share of high performance (as well as high tech) sports cars, but at 6'4" and 280#, the simple fact is that most cars aren't built to accommodate my frame. There's also the fact that I just cannot justify the gas prices or insurance at this point in my life.

I wish you the best of luck with your pending child birth, but if it's your first, you might not realize that your perspective is about to change a great deal as well.

Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nread said:
Driving was one of my outlets to unwind from the 9-5.
Believe me, I know the feeling. I bought my RAV4 on August the 5th and even with gas prices being what they are now, I still find the need to get out of my office (I work at home) and drive for a while once I get off work at 5'ish. I've not spent a single evening at home since buying the RAV4, though I don't know whether that's doing anything for my weight... :)

I didn't want to imply that the RAV4 was less of a vehicle than the Z. Just that it is less of a perfect fit for me personally.
Nothing wrong with that at all. Completely different cars for different uses, and yes, I could very well imagine how going from a 350z to a RAV4 could be a bit of a letdown. I traded in a 2003 Honda Accord because I made the mistake of leasing it. I loved the Honda and would have bought another one but the Honda dealer was a bit unreasonable considering I still had time on my lease.

A bit of history, is that for the ten years prior, I had owned a little Isuzu before the Honda. I wish upon wishing that I'd never traded it in, so my desire to own something simple, "cheap", got good gas mileage, and was reliable while still letting me haul boxes was how I ended up with my RAV4.

Both the Honda and RAV4 have tradeoff advantages and disadvantages. The RAV4 to me is a hella lot more fun, but loses some of the "adult" flare that the Honda held. It also doesn't perform as well as the Honda at high speed, but that's more of a gearing issue than raw power thing. An issue I feel could have been solved with a 6 speed manual -- like my Honda, but Toyota redesigned for 2006 instead.

You should see me getting into the del Sol. With the top off, it is easier for me to just step over the door than it is to open it and slide in :D
hahaha. Reminds me of the Fiat X19 a friend had once upon a time. I wish I could fit in such cars, but alas, it's not my lot in life. Until then, I will dream of adapting the supercharger that is meant for the tC 2.4 engine to my RAV4, and getting the Camry Navigation system installed. 225 HP would be a great addition, especially if it helps my RAV4's top end performance.

Wayne
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
How much fun would that be? Talk about a performer. I am keeping a close eye on the tC world, in case my wallet allows for modifying the 2.4.... I actually have a thread somewhere about wanting the S/C to come out for the tC, so I can entertain the idea of throwing it on the RAV4. Of course that is assuming the WAF (wife acceptance factor) okays it first. :eek: Never thought of the Camry nav addition though. That would score some good points with the mom-to-be. I am already planning on installing keyless for her birthday...hmmmmm.

Wayne said:
Until then, I will dream of adapting the supercharger that is meant for the tC 2.4 engine to my RAV4, and getting the Camry Navigation system installed. 225 HP would be a great addition, especially if it helps my RAV4's top end performance.

Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nread said:
I just noticed: we have the Exact same model RAV...
Mine's a titanium with grey interior. ;-)

nread said:
How much fun would that be? Talk about a performer. I am keeping a close eye on the tC world, in case my wallet allows for modifying the 2.4.... I actually have a thread somewhere about wanting the S/C to come out for the tC, so I can entertain the idea of throwing it on the RAV4.
Yep yep. Watching with a great amount of anticipation. Also wondering (havent checked) if the tC has a 6-speed manual I can toss in while I'm at it. Hey! If you're gonna throw the warranty out the window, why not go big?

Never thought of the Camry nav addition though.
I do not work for them, nor have any association with them at all, but http://oemvalue.com.

The only drawback is that the lights are green, not orange, but even that is changeable if you know a bit about soldering electonics... :)

I am already planning on installing keyless for her birthday...hmmmmm.
So, how much did it piss you off to buy your brand new RAV4, sign all the papers, being handed the keys, only THEN to realize that it's the only 2005 $20,000+ vehicle that didn't have keyless entry standard?

I asked my dealer about putting keyless entry in and he quoted $437 for parts alone, then recommended I go to bestbuy. So, day two, I was at BestBuy purchasing a Viper alarm with keyless entry for I think $223 after taxes and installation. HIGHLY recommended

Wayne
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Wayne said:
Mine's a titanium with grey interior. ;-)
Same here. Titanium w/ grey sport cloth. I thought the beige (or whatever) felt more inviting, but overall we preferred the sport look.


Wayne said:
I do not work for them, nor have any association with them at all, but http://oemvalue.com.

The only drawback is that the lights are green, not orange, but even that is changeable if you know a bit about soldering electonics... :)

So, how much did it piss you off to buy your brand new RAV4, sign all the papers, being handed the keys, only THEN to realize that it's the only 2005 $20,000+ vehicle that didn't have keyless entry standard?

I asked my dealer about putting keyless entry in and he quoted $437 for parts alone, then recommended I go to bestbuy. So, day two, I was at BestBuy purchasing a Viper alarm with keyless entry for I think $223 after taxes and installation. HIGHLY recommended

Wayne
OMG. I was pretty ticked when he told us that it "could be installed for another 500 or so". I looked at him and said "Are you serious? Don't you think that's a bit sad that my 23k RAV4 S doesn't have keyless, when my 2001 15k Sentra did?" Obviously the sales guy can't be held responsible, but still...

Luckily I have a relative who is a Toyota master tech and he is going to see what he can get the OEM equipment for, and get me paperwork on the install. I will have him check out the cost on the Nav when I talk to him also.
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
VeroLAN said:
nread said:
Now I drive a cruddy 94 del Sol.
Must be an S or Si model, my only regret with my RAV4 is I had to sell my '95 del Sol VTEC.
del Sol S auto. Worst combo I could have gotten.

I had written a long story about it, but I think I will leave it at that instead, so I don't hijack the thread (any more).
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Would I buy another Rav??
YES!!..in fact I just picked up the new one today (2005)! :D

Never have enjoyed driving so much...and found winter driving to be so unstressful (great handling on slick city streets!).

Now...anyone want a 2002? :p
I had to get a 2005 before they were gone...since I didn't want a bigger 2006 and wanted a good deal on the '05!

I can't say enough about how much I love driving the Rav.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Zuzu said:
Would I buy another RAV??
I can't say enough about how much I love driving the RAV.
That's about it for me too. I used to have a Hilux (Tacoma/Tundra type thing) double-cab 4x4 with all the options and more. What do I really miss? The sunroof! :lol: Yeah, and low-range was nice too, but the RAV is the vehicle for me - I've never enjoyed day-to-day driving as much as I have with the RAV.

Would I get another? For bloody sure, but the increased size of the 2006 is rather off-putting. Maybe it won't be so bad if they do a two-door model, the most popular version in SA.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top