Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone, I find it would be an interesting, and eye-opening conversation if we start talking about parts of the American culture that we dislike. Bonus points for those of us that list what we like also.

I'll start.

I dislike the blaming attitude of Americans. It is never OUR fault, always someone else. Come on people, we are human, we are faluiable, we make mistakes. Buck up and admit to them, and take responsibility for your actions.

Also, why does our education system suck so much? We need to encourage better habits, quit blaming teachers, schools, underfunding, etc., and start working on our senses of community and encouragment of youth.

As for what I like, the first thing that comes to mind is our diversity. I love the fact that there are so many subcultures in the US. Now if only they could all just get along....

So come one people, esspecially those outside of the US, tell us what you think. It should be interesting to say the least.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Born and raised and lived my whole life in Canada but very frequent visitor to the US. My experience is that Americans are unbelievably friendly, generous and good-hearted. Now perhaps my experience is skewed because about 90% of my visits have been to border states (Montana, North Dakota, Michigan).

In my humble opinion, in the last decade or so, there's been a disconnect between the "better nature" of average Americans and their government. Maybe that's what comes from being the big kid on the block.

It would be great if Americans could learn a bit more about the world outside of the US; I guess like many nations, there's just too much junk food in their diets and on TV.

Another plus would be that incredible beauty of the States. I hope all you Americans realize what a treasure you have in your National Parks.

Oh, and if y'all could buy more Toyotas and less Fords that would be nice, too. :lol:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
This is long, so get ready. First long post ever :p

Ok, here is the ugly truth about Americans that i've seen over my almost 7 years of being in this country. This is just a generalization. I think that there are people like this all over the world. It's just that it gets on my nerves that the panamanian government and its people think that this country has the best of everything. They are like "believers" if you know what i mean. They think that all products made here are the best of the best. I'm not saying that all things suck, but there are a few things made here that are plain garbage, like for example, almost everything sold in infomercials. The same products of those informercials are sold in Panama for about 3 times the amount, but they justify the price cuz they say "Made in the USA." I don't like the schools system here, where you have to choose your own classes. I was given all my classes, even in university level. The only thing that was close to choosing your class was choosing a different teacher, but other than that, if you didn't pass one class, you were screwed cuz all classes were a requirement for the next. I think that was so much easier than the confusing system that i still don't get :(.

Ok, let me do a comparison about what panamanian people think of themselves vs Americans:

Panamanians say that you are a Panamanian if you:
- procrastinate
- drive horrible
- are nosy as hell
- lazy
- rude
- etc.

Panamanians say about the Americans:
- they are the most intelligent people in the world
- they are the most hard worker people
- they are the most courteous drivers
- they are not nosy at all
- they are not lazy, rude, etc.

Here's my conclusion: Americans can sue about the stupidest things because they can; they cause horrible traffic jams because some stop completely just to see an accident that just happened (in my defense, at least panamanians just drive slower than normal but not almost to a complete stop :x). Not the most courteus people in the world towards inmigrants. I had many people making fun of my accent and the way i pronounce some words, kinda like spanglish. Example: The first time i put my feet in this country was at a Dallas airport. I was hungry and went to the food court and there was nothing of my liking. I saw a bagel that had ham/cheese and i asked the person behind the counter if i could have a "bah-guel". I wasn't sure how to pronounce that word, so i said it the best i could with the A sound of spanish. The guy was like "a what???" so i said it again the same way pointing at it and he said "oooooh, a BAGEL!" with this looks on his face that made me feel so inadequate, so i was like "i hate this country :cry: (i left mine cuz i had to not cuz i wanted to). I know English since kindergarten but it was mostly grammar, spelling and reading, not so much practice with the conversation part.

After working for mcdonalds, i realized that i can't tell the difference between nice african-american people and the mean ones. In Panama it was easy, but here looks can be deceiving. You can have one all suit up, with tie and shiny shoes and with the worse attitude ever, and another one that comes in a ghetto low rider with had side ways and listening to loud rap and he happens to be the nicest person ever. That was shocking :shock:

These were just a few things i don't like, but there are many that i like.
- I looooove it that smoking is banned in buildings/rest/clubs, etc.
- I like the 4-way stops (we don't have that in Panama as much as i wish).
- I like the rapid response of police for accidents, robberies, etc. Good luck in Panama, at least 2 hours wait :x.
- I like the fact that you can get a job anywhere, doing anything, even if you don't have a diploma.
There are many more things that i can say about what i like, but i haven't had my coffee yet and if i keep writing, this post will be a little too long, so i'm ending it here. Need... co...ff...ee :roll:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A peeve of mine is that they show American television shows in other countries. I mean, they watch 'The Simpsons' and 'Dallas' and probably 'Jerry Springer' in the Middle East, Asia and probably Panama...is it any wonder that they refer to America as The Great Satan.

I'm not surprised that many other countries would like to see us dead, if they get the impression that is the way we all live here. Hey, I'm just a poor working shmuck like most of the rest of the world, I don't treat my parents like Bart Simpson, I'm not as dumb and useless as Homer Simpson and I don't get big profits from Saudi oil, and I'm not at all like the folks on 'Jerry Springer'

I'm real PEEVED about that. I wonder if the folks in other countries realize that ALL of these shows are just fake stuff...even the so-called reallity shows are fake. The only real American TV is Monday Night Football.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know... when I lived in Buffalo (Tonawanda), the Soprano's was real TV. not really...that was 25 years ago. the Soprano's wasn't on then. I think The Dukes of Hazzard were.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My teacher in 8th grade told me about his friend who was a cop. The cop had a daughter who was 16 or so, dating guys, etc. One night he heard a window open in her room, so he took out his gun and flashlight jokingly just to scare the boyfriend. It ended up being a robber, he shot his legs. The robber then sued the cop and won. You're supposed to shoot to kill, but since he did not, the guy won the case. Thats pretty rediculous.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
pancake said:
Thats pretty rediculous.
It's rediculous how many people can't spell ridiculous.

Some of our schools are very good, some are very bad. Just goes with tying their funding to property taxes.

Which is a peeve of mine. I'm never having kids, why do I have to pay to school your ankle biters? They're just going to be job competition in the future. It's mandated aid to the enemy.

And of course on top of that the parents get a tax break for having a kid. What the heck, it should be a penalty. You're using more of society's resources, so pay up.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think the great majority of problems and conflicts in our society are caused by the fact that no one believes in the concept of personal responsibility anymore. Nothing is ever your fault, it's someone else's fault. And then you have the people who want to outlaw a parent's right to discipline their kids, which is why we have all these bastard kids running around causing trouble. Don't forget we have the PC police who have ruined everything that used to make life worth living.

Our country used to believe in the concept of sacrificing the rights of the few for the benefit of the many, and now it's sad to say we've gotten to the point where we are sacrificing the rights of the many for the benefit of the few.

My opinion is that if you are going to bitch and moan about how bad your life is here and make everything harder for the rest of us, get the hell out of our country and go live in some third world country where you will soon realize that life here in the US is pretty great and we have a lot to be thankful for.

·
Registered
379 Posts
nouse4aname said:
pancake said:
Thats pretty rediculous.
It's rediculous how many people can't spell ridiculous.

Some of our schools are very good, some are very bad. Just goes with tying their funding to property taxes.

Which is a peeve of mine. I'm never having kids,
why do I have to pay to school your ankle biters?
Ya kinda gota look at it like pay now, or pay later. If we pay later it'll be in the form of more prisons. I prefer to pay for more schools. Never had any rug rats, curtain climbers, ankle biters or whatever you prefer to call them. Lived in NY for over 20 years and paid a hell of a lot in school taxes. When I left in 95 my school tax bill alone was just under 7k. I figure I almost paid for a new wing somewhere. :lol:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Jeff said:
And then you have the people who want to outlaw a parent's right to discipline their kids.
I think the perjorative term here is discipline. Not kill, or beat the living crap out of them. Child Abuse is illegal, not discipline. All the more reason why we need better schools, better teachers and for sure better parents.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Better Parents!

That's where it is for me. People today expect a child to raise themselves. Where are the parents? They are out somewhere in a bar or with their so called "friends" while the kids are being raised by babysitters and day-cares all because they think they need to party to stay young. People, too often today, feel that they got short changed on life when they were younger. Marry-divorce(as if you are cancelling a video membership) and then go search for the youth you lost by having kids. Boo-Hoo, grow-up, get a helmet.

The "disposable" factor of North America as it pertains to Kids, Marriage, Relationships etc. is what burns me up. A daycare only cares as long as you are paying. It is impossible to get the parental guidance from a person you pay to watch you child. People should raise there own kids and the world will have a better quality of adults in the future.

Since when has it been possible to buy a surrogate Mom or Dad for your kids. God help those so called parents when the child gets older and can rebel. We will see kids suing their parents for neglect in a few years I'm positive on that one.

Take responsibility for what is yours. Teach the way you were taught (this is what becomes scary in a few years) and be good to the people around you. Honour commitments and relationships (your not signing up for a video membership here people).

Love is a lesson to live by.

No I'm not a hippy.

M.

·
Registered
396 Posts
One thing I can't believe is that Americans find using plain dry toilet paper more sanitary than washing your behinds with plain old soap and water..No wonder guys reeked of whatchmacalit during gym suit ups. Ugh!!! Soap and water people..or even a plain old bidet would get your butts smelling wintery fresh!! Or just wet some toilet paper to get some residue dingleberries off. There..I said it..now maybe the guy's dressing area won't be so bad anymore..lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts