Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i owned a petrol nrg2001 earlier this year,was a lovely truck,now i own a diesel nrg2002, it does seem very van like and much noiser than the petrol one,the d4d engine seems to give off a lot more vibration through the steering & engine turns over very slowly when cold starting,any thoughts anybody?

O

·
0 Posts
The diesel does feel different to the petrol but in my opinion no less refined than the petrol, just different. The D4D doesnt need to be revved hard as all of the torque is low down in the rev range and at higher speeds road and wind noise will drown out the engine. The car shouldn't feel van like and the slow cranking speed in the cold may signify a fault.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Slow crank in the cold....maybe a newer battery will help. Mine sucks too and I get the same thing.(gasoline even)

I would live with the noise of the diesel. We cannot get the diesel here in Canada. I wish. Maybe in the future if they start making them again. Our gas (petrol) has gone down in price however over the past few weeks steadily so thats always a good sign. (90 cents/liter) I'm sure that won't last. Was up to 1.43/L in Oct.

Good luck with your newer RAV. Later. M. 8)

O

·
0 Posts
Although I can't comment on Canada, I understand that the US is due to get low sulphur diesel shortly so diesels will be less smokey. The original D4D is now a pretty old design and has been superceeded by the 130 and 180 D4D clean burn engines, both are very frugal and have lots of low down grunt, the 180 is all aluminium and so lighter, Toyota have also deemed it refined enough to use it in the new Lexus IS220d. Modern diesels aren't noisy, they just sound different, indeed the effort put in to diesel technology here and in Japan has resulted in some diesel vehicles actually having a quieter cabin than the petrol version.

There does seem to be a steady trickle of diesels making their way to the US which may turn to a flood with cleaner diesel.

·
Registered
771 Posts
There are thousands of vehicles here with diesel but just no RAV's. I've driven many and like the torque of the diesel engine. Much of the time the initial cost is not worth buying a diesel over a "gas" version. Here anyway. What was the price difference in the beginning between the two anyway where you live?

I would deffinetly buy a diesel if the extra cost wasn't too much.

Later. M.

O

·
0 Posts
I gather that most of the diesels in the US and Canada tend to be in pick ups and what we would regard as large 4x4s and are pretty large displacement sixes and V8s but smaller stuff such as passenger cars and small four wheelers are pretty rare. The Corolla for example comes with either a 1.4 or a 2 litre four cylinder diesel. The price of diesel fuel here is actually dearer than petrol and the price difference between a diesel RAV and a petrol RAV is £1000 though some manufacturers will supply diesels at no extra cost. Our RAV returns an average of arround 40 mpg which is'nt bad for a car with a high frontal area and the aerodynamics of a house brick. We never intended to opt for diesel to save money on fuel because the car doesn't clock up the milage that would warrant the extra cash but we both agreed that the diesel was a far more relaxed drive due to its low down torque and so we need to rev it less to make her go. We also decided that we preferred the sound of the diesel to the petrol engine though the Toyota is not as sweet as the five cylinder 2.5 VW or Mercedes diesels.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Pretty much the most popular cars here with the diesel engines are Jetta's, Benzo's, Smart-Cars and thats about it. I may have forgoten one or two but the point here is that the manufactures haven't been able to convince people in the U.S. particularly that diesel is better given the new technology. If they don't get them, we don't get get them. One thing is for sure that when companies like VW get in the diesel models they fly off the lots like F-15's. There are waiting lists for some models like that in Canada.

Bring on the Diesel. Jeep is and people I know already have their names on the list for the new Jeep Liberty. :idea:

Later. M.

J

·
0 Posts
Slow Revs when cold

There is an 'Idle-up' button on the diesel RAV which speeds up the tickover when starting in very cold weather. It increases the tickover speed from 900 to about 1200 RPM.

I have no problems with vibration, either through the steering wheel or anywhere else.

O

·
0 Posts
The Idle up button does increase the tick over when the ambient temperature is below 5C (I think) and the engine temperature is not at running temperature.

From some of the guys in the US I understand that the Jetta and golf diesels can be upset by the high sulphur content in the diesel. Not only does it make them smoke excessivly (By our standards) but it does seem to clog up the EGR valves quite badly, something that I have never encountered here and I suspect that is why other manufacturers do not attempt to sell their diesels in the US but I suspect that the USs perception of diesel cars may start to change with the introduction of low sulphur diesel fuel and the ever increasing price of fuel. It would be interesting to see what Toyota and Honda decide to do in the US

I personally see hybrids in the form that they are at the moment as a bit of a red herring as they only really shine when used in city traffic.

·
Registered
685 Posts
IMHO hybrids are disposable autos......in 5 yrs when the batteries start to give trouble who is going to want to buy a used one, and the batteries probably cost more than a new car as the current price is below cost to manufacture.
Re diesels: I drove VWs for 25 yrs before coming to the dark side :wink: , and had a non-turbo '85 Jetta diesel amongst the gas variety. After a year of daily starts in the garage, everything in there was covered with a fine film of soot due to startups. The only way I would buy another diesel, of any kind, would be to plumb the exhaust outside with flex hose or leave it outside......
Love the term "idle up".....never knew what to call that pull thing in the VW that increased RPM..... :?
A turbo-diesel RAV.......I'd probably buy one...... 8)

O

·
0 Posts
LOL Diesels have moved on a little since your 85 Jetta. I have just bought a 93 Golf non turbo diesel as a runabout and it is as slow as the hills and by modern standards crude and noisy. In 1999 when VW introduced their Pumpe Duse injection system the VW engine was cutting edge, but they are about to adopt high pressure Common Rail with a very close control injection system for the Golf and Jetta in order to play catch up to Toyota and Honda. Such is the pace of diesel development, problem is if you don't see them every day you will assume that nothing has changed but the quality of the fuel is still an important factor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts