Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain how to get Google maps audio through the car's Bluetooth or why it is not working for me? I think I got to work once but don't remember how.

The Bluetooth connection automatically works for the phone audio and music phone player, but not for Google maps audio. If I switch off Bluetooth on the phone while running Google Maps, the Maps audio directions work from the phone. If I switch it back on, the audio is lost. Suggestions?

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Android 6.0.1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Caveat: I'm using iOS.
In Google Maps, there is a setting under "Navigation Settings" that allows you to "Play voice over bluetooth" and/or "Play as Bluetooth phone call". In my experience, the first option is the one you want.
Second, it's been my experience that you need to be already playing music in bluetooth mode on the receiver for this process to work "well".

My last thought is, if you're plugged in and charging via the USB port, then Google is likely trying to send the navigation via that connection instead of Bluetooth. Depending on your receiver, that might make a difference as well.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Caveat: I'm using iOS.
In Google Maps, there is a setting under "Navigation Settings" that allows you to "Play voice over bluetooth" and/or "Play as Bluetooth phone call". In my experience, the first option is the one you want.
Second, it's been my experience that you need to be already playing music in bluetooth mode on the receiver for this process to work "well".

My last thought is, if you're plugged in and charging via the USB port, then Google is likely trying to send the navigation via that connection instead of Bluetooth. Depending on your receiver, that might make a difference as well.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Thanks, I'll experiment. I think it is quite possible the time it worked I had been playing music in Bluetooth mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, I'll experiment. I think it is quite possible the time it worked I had been playing music in Bluetooth mode.
Ok, based on your response, it sounds like maybe you're trying to get Navigation while listening to...FM radio for instance. In that case, you would need to set Google Maps to the "Play as Bluetooth Phone Call" mode. That will then override the FM radio and make the receiver think a phone call is happening, enabling the bluetooth navigation audio. HOWEVER, in my experience, Google starts "playing" the audio before the bluetooth channel is fully connected, so instead of hearing "Take Exit 46A to 494 South" you might hear "South". It hasn't worked well for me.
In general, if I'm using Google maps, I'll either let the phone play the audio, or make sure I'm streaming Pandora/Prime Music/etc. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ok, based on your response, it sounds like maybe you're trying to get Navigation while listening to...FM radio for instance. In that case, you would need to set Google Maps to the "Play as Bluetooth Phone Call" mode. That will then override the FM radio and make the receiver think a phone call is happening, enabling the bluetooth navigation audio. HOWEVER, in my experience, Google starts "playing" the audio before the bluetooth channel is fully connected, so instead of hearing "Take Exit 46A to 494 South" you might hear "South". It hasn't worked well for me.
In general, if I'm using Google maps, I'll either let the phone play the audio, or make sure I'm streaming Pandora/Prime Music/etc. Hope that helps!
Mine is working on my 2016 over speakers great. Under Google Maps app...Settings / Navigation Settings / Play voice over Bluetooth ON -- Play as Bluetooth Phone call OFF

·
Registered
10 Posts
KJPAT08 - In your 2016, do you find that you DO need to be listening to bluetooth audio for it to work, or will the directions interrupt, say, FM radio?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KJPAT08 - In your 2016, do you find that you DO need to be listening to bluetooth audio for it to work, or will the directions interrupt, say, FM radio?
I can't really recall but as far as I remember, directions interrupted radio and XM. Your comments got me digging in my phone and google maps settings. They are a little different. No "Play as Bluetooth phone call." However, there is an option to switch off navigation interrupts. (Samsung Galaxy Note 5) "Play voice during phone call."

At any rate, I discovered switching the audio source to "Bluetooth audio" allows google navigation to come through the car's audio system. It seems to work fine that way and has solved my problem. I guess I expected that since phone call audio automatically comes through, all other audio generated by the phone would also.

·
Registered
428 Posts
No. In fact a rarely use bluetooth music, I use USB drive music or radio usually, and as I stated it being set, it overrides ANY music playing to take phone call or Google Maps. I forgot to add, mine is interfaced with Iphone 6 also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts