Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using or able to recommend a decent mount for a cell phone? Seems like options are a bit limited in terms of where one could go (and wouldn't be difficult to mount, obstruct other stuff, and/or look bad).

I came across this, but probably wouldn't want to order anything until I've at least seen some reviews from folks using:

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/proclip-toyota-rav-4-center-dash-mount

Has anyone installed something like this or come up with different solution?

Basically I'd want something that's easy to install and remove without doing any permanent damage to the vehicle's interior, and hopefully look aesthetically decent as well.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I use a No Choice magnetic mount, works great. There are several discussions on phone mounts including the ProClip in the 4.4 forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First time poster.
I picked up one of the above "nochoice" as a solution but it turns out that my wife isn't a fan. No interest in a vent mount. I'd be interested in seeing what anyone else may have used in a 2019.
I suspect that a low mounted suction cup will be the way to go. Something with a very long arm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have both a magnet mount on the dash trim as quickdtoo and a vent mount. I'll post pictures. They both look good and function great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am using the Proclip mounting base (with the appropriate device holder) for my gps & like it well. I have it clipped to (below) the right dash air vent so that it doesn't obscure the view of the climate controls. The mount is specific to the 2019 Rav4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The ProClip mount is outstanding for my purpose. 2019 XLE model. Just a bit expensive.

Pictured below is the ProClip mount by itself. I also ordered along with it the magnet (“MagicMount Pro”, not pictured here) as that is how I had been attaching my phone. The MagicMount is a magnet with adhesive backing that I stuck to the ProClip mount. Metal plate (included, or use your own) then goes in between the case and the phone. (FYI, the MagicMount magnet comes in multiple sizes. The XL is more for the iPhone Plus sizes).

But you could attach other mounts to the original ProClip mount instead of the magnet MagicMount. There are holes for other purposes.

Receipt below also pictured to help others.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Disappointed in ProClip's solution. There simply aren't any elegant mounting choices as they all show way too much cord, block vents, etc.

Does anyone know of a coiled black Apple Lightning cable that works with Car Play?

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Does anyone know of a coiled black Apple Lightning cable that works with Car Play?
Amazon has one that works according to a few reviews.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Disappointed in ProClip's solution. There simply aren't any elegant mounting choices as they all show way too much cord, block vents, etc.

Immediately after we bought the car, when we were about to drive off the lot, we got in together, looked for a place to put the phone, then looked at each other and went “Shiiiiiiiii... argh. Why on earth did Toyota design a car without a clear place to put the phone?”
We both kicked ourselves that we hadn’t thought about it first. I knew we were going to have trouble based on Toyota’s design. I’m happy enough with the ProClip solution. At least it is something that works. It doesn’t really block the vent when set up right. Though cord can be annoying, I can’t disagree with that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys,
I was going to start a new thread, but I figured I post here. I recently leased a RAV 4 2019 XLE with convenience package. Since the car doesn't have android auto, I use a headunit emulator via my Amazon Fire 8 tablet. Unfortunately, I've gone through two mounts, and its not working for me. It's either shaking at over 50 or it just falls off. However, the car wasn't built for this mount, as there's an elevated headunit and not a flat dash. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good mount for my tablet for the 2019 RAV. I need to be able to use the tablet for Android Auto, and thus google maps. Besides a windshield mount, is there any other options? I was looking at the proclip, but that's a little bit low from the dash for my taste. I prefer something around the same height as the elevated headunit in the RAV. I was using a windshield mount, that I rested on top of the elevated headunit. However, the double lock broke and even prior to that it would shake on the highway. I would prefer a windshield as the swivel dashes available don't work for this model. Anyone know of a decent mount for the RAV 2019? Any help would be great.

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
If you have a Qi wireless charging phone you might consider this holder:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/383145226495
I use one for my Galaxy S7 with the vent mount in my 2018 Accord and another in my 2001 F-250 with the stickpad mount. I simply set the phone in it and the phone's weight pulls the side grabbers in. One handed operation and no charge cords to attach.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too was in search of a phone mount for my Rav but did not like the clip style that covered either the radio or a/c vents. A few years ago I came across a knock off version of the RAM X grip phone mount for my bike on eBay for about $15. Then, I recently came across this RAM Universal No Drill extension/adapter and bought it off of Amazon for <$40. The knock off X grip had the same 1" ball so it fit without a problem. If you are not worried about price you can probably get all of the pieces from RAM. The rod extension is aluminum so you can bend it to fit where you end up bolting it down. I will post pics as soon as I can but the link to the RAM extension is attached. I am having a hard time finding the knock off X grip to link to the post but if I come across it I will add it. I will say this is by far the best and most sturdy mount I have used and is completely out of the driver's way.

Ram Mount Cradle Holder for Universal X-Grip Cellphone/iPhone with 1-Inch Ball - Non-Retail Packaging - Black

RAM POD I Universal No-Drill(TM) Vehicle Mount with 18"" Rigid Aluminum Rod & Diamond Adapter Base

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, here are the pics of the X Grip style. The extension comes with a black flexible insulation that I ran my charging cable through to make it a little more visually appealing. The only thing I would like to add is some water pipe foam insulation between the extension and the center console to give it a little more stability. 99% of the time it is not a problem but those few times you go over railroad tracks or hit the occasional pothole it tends to shake a little though the phone has never fallen out.

One good thing about the RAM system is that you can get multiple adapters to mount on your bike, boat, ATV, etc and all you have to do is take the X grip with you. Hope this helps!

20190912_095643.jpg 20190912_095707.jpg 20190912_095732.jpg 20190912_095755.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, here are the pics of the X Grip style. The extension comes with a black flexible insulation that I ran my charging cable through to make it a little more visually appealing. The only thing I would like to add is some water pipe foam insulation between the extension and the center console to give it a little more stability. 99% of the time it is not a problem but those few times you go over railroad tracks or hit the occasional pothole it tends to shake a little though the phone has never fallen out.

One good thing about the RAM system is that you can get multiple adapters to mount on your bike, boat, ATV, etc and all you have to do is take the X grip with you. Hope this helps!

View attachment 145350 View attachment 145351 View attachment 145352 View attachment 145353
Great solution. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that will accommodate my tablet since I use it for my main navigation system and its a bit lower than I need it. I would prefer it be closer to eye-level angle, so ideally a windshield mount would be my best bet. However, I prefer dash, but there's not too options for 2019 RAV as a result of the elevated headunit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
14 Participants
cash70
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing