Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a ProClip mount in my previous car, but it broke after about 4 years (likely due to the high heat/low humidity climate here). I've been considering one for my RAV4.

Anyone have experience with the Brodit/ProClipUSA mount, specifically? I'm looking at just the dashboard mount, not any of the phone holders (I'd get my own AMPS-compatible phone holder for it, since I may be changing phones soon anyway, and their actual phone holders appear to be pretty make-specific).

If not, what mounts are recommended?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a ProClip in my 2006 - not a bad product. The thing I didn't like was how snug it was when you had a case on your phone.

In my 2013, I ended up with a MountTec nGroove - which is solid as a rock. In fact, I have one of these in all the cars now, as it makes mounting whichever phone easy. The only downside is that you can't easily add/remove CDs without removing the mount... not a problem for me, as I never use them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the proclip mount for my iphone6. IMHO they're good products. Bit expensive but generally durable. Had it with my '09 Corolla and when I traded up to '13 RAV4 I bought a new clip for the upper center dash.
A few things to bear in mind:

The original clip I bought in late 2013 lasted less than a year. It wasn't designed properly on the top lip to "wrap" around the dash trim so when weight was placed on it while inserting phone, road bumps, etc, the top part of bracket popped off.
After a call to Proclip (great CS and support), they couriered replacement with slightly newer design. No need to ship old version back. Bracket looks the same but the part that inserts into the edge of the dash trim piece wraps around it better.

My only pet peeve was with the specific iphone 6 mount I selected (one with integrated cable). It doesn't do well with the Spigen Neo Hybrid aluminim shell case which has a relatively narrow charging port which prevented the Proclip's larger from inserting. I went around the rink a few times with Proclip on this design issue and they agreed that this was a problem and a solution would be found in next design but didn't offered a solution for me. I suspect that by now this is fixed - but beware using any Proclip mount that doesn't allow you to use Apples native cable if you have a case. In the end, I took a low-speed Dremel to the outer casing to shrink it and all was well.

My primary uses of the mount with iPhone are for Waze and music playlists which (normally) Siri can handle through car's audio system. Love that the mount allows me to run either portrait or landscape mode.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a ProClip in my 2006 - not a bad product. The thing I didn't like was how snug it was when you had a case on your phone.

In my 2013, I ended up with a MountTec nGroove - which is solid as a rock. In fact, I have one of these in all the cars now, as it makes mounting whichever phone easy. The only downside is that you can't easily add/remove CDs without removing the mount... not a problem for me, as I never use them.
No CD player in my 2016 Limited, so those types of mounts are out, but they do come highly recommended at The Wirecutter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the proclip mount for my iphone6. IMHO they're good products. Bit expensive but generally durable. Had it with my '09 Corolla and when I traded up to '13 RAV4 I bought a new clip for the upper center dash.
A few things to bear in mind:

The original clip I bought in late 2013 lasted less than a year. It wasn't designed properly on the top lip to "wrap" around the dash trim so when weight was placed on it while inserting phone, road bumps, etc, the top part of bracket popped off.
After a call to Proclip (great CS and support), they couriered replacement with slightly newer design. No need to ship old version back. Bracket looks the same but the part that inserts into the edge of the dash trim piece wraps around it better.

My only pet peeve was with the specific iphone 6 mount I selected (one with integrated cable). It doesn't do well with the Spigen Neo Hybrid aluminim shell case which has a relatively narrow charging port which prevented the Proclip's larger from inserting. I went around the rink a few times with Proclip on this design issue and they agreed that this was a problem and a solution would be found in next design but didn't offered a solution for me. I suspect that by now this is fixed - but beware using any Proclip mount that doesn't allow you to use Apples native cable if you have a case. In the end, I took a low-speed Dremel to the outer casing to shrink it and all was well.

My primary uses of the mount with iPhone are for Waze and music playlists which (normally) Siri can handle through car's audio system. Love that the mount allows me to run either portrait or landscape mode.
Waze and streaming audio are the same reasons I need a good phone mount. Interestingly, I can see myself turning on the Entune navigation in addition to Waze, since the Entune maps show the speed limit for the road you are on, whereas Waze does not. (I would just be turning on the map, however, not using the actual navigation.)

For now, I'm just going to get the dash mount without the phone holder. I will probably get a generic AMPS-compatible mount, since I am likely to change my device soon (so I won't have to buy another of their device-specific holders).

·
Registered
337 Posts
A strip of velcro on the dash and the phone works for me. Keeps the phone flush and not sticking out.

Magnet would be alright as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the steelie mount, but I liked it so much I ordered more from Amazon to give away as gifts. The 2 pack from Amazon was 11.99. That's for 2 balls and 2 phone mounts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Have been very happy with the performance of the Mountek nGroove Universal phone mount- I've had it for about a month now. Fits easily into the CD slot and holds my phone securely. Thanks tron !!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I had the ProClip mount combined with a RAM X-Grip holder, and it worked great for a while. Sadly, the design of the ProClip couldn't handle the weight of the holder and phone, and started falling off. I was sent a "redesigned" replacement, but although the redesign is obviously meant to hold onto the dash better, it also made it impossible to install in the first place, so now I'm back to not having a mount for my phone. Time to start researching again.

I'm sorry to say, stay away from ProClip for now, until they come up with a better solution for the RAV4. I really don't understand why car manufacturers are not making good device holders a factory option.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the steelie mount, but I liked it so much I ordered more from Amazon to give away as gifts. The 2 pack from Amazon was 11.99. That's for 2 balls and 2 phone mounts.
Likewise - very happy with it. I have it to the left of the steering wheel and drop the charger cord over the steering wheel housing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Likewise - very happy with it. I have it to the left of the steering wheel and drop the charger cord over the steering wheel housing.
I'm trying to avoid gluing anything directly onto the car (although the adhesive strip from the replacement ProClip was left behind last night, but should be easy enough to get off, I hope).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm a big fan of the iOttie Easy One Touch. I've had the XL for a year and a half for my iPhone 6+ (it works with any large phone). I had the non-XL version for a couple years before that!

Rock solid suction cup mount with a mild tacky adhesive -- it comes off with the suction cup, yet it really sticks in place!!

Lots of adjustability! Easy to plop the phone in there or pull it out!!

Like others, I use mine for waze and mount it to the left of my steering wheel!

iOttie Easy One Touch XL Car Mount Holder
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007FH716W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0K.mxb4J1H01H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Got the same one mounted on a disc on the dash located under my rearview mirror. Works great with iPhone 6. It also fits perfectly in the permanent cupholder to free up the dash for another device.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a big fan of the iOttie Easy One Touch. I've had the XL for a year and a half for my iPhone 6+ (it works with any large phone). I had the non-XL version for a couple years before that!

Rock solid suction cup mount with a mild tacky adhesive -- it comes off with the suction cup, yet it really sticks in place!!

Lots of adjustability! Easy to plop the phone in there or pull it out!!

Like others, I use mine for waze and mount it to the left of my steering wheel!

iOttie Easy One Touch XL Car Mount Holder
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007FH716W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0K.mxb4J1H01H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where do you have it mounted? Ideally, the metal surface would be perfect, as it's not too high (won't block vision out windshield) or far back (don't have to reach for the phone), and not so low as to block access to head unit controls. Usually, the suction cups on such mounts are much too large for use on the metal trim (I have the Limited, not sure if the other models have that metal trim).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Happy to find this thread. Good options and I'm trying to sift through them. Given my climate here along the Texas Gulf Coast, I am very wary of anything that needs adhesive or even suction to attach itself. It can get 115+ degrees in the car easily for six to eight hours a day for months here in the summer. In my previous vehicles, even 3M products have failed after a brief time.

I like the Mountec design that fits in the CD tray. I can't remember the last time I even touched a traditional audio CD, so using that as a mount point is just fine, but I am concerned about it blocking the Entune's touch screen display.

I keep looking at these air-vent mounts. A strong point for them is that they'll put the phone at a decent height. But I look at the clips they use and I keep thinking that the weight of the mount and phone, plus the stress of daily insertion and removal will end up deforming or perhaps even breaking the air vent blades over time.

Is my concern with these air vent type mount valid?

--Michael

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same concern but I've just ordered the spigen air vent a201 I'll tell you how it works
I may have ordered the same one! Here's the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/Spigen®-Magnetic-Holder-Neodymium-Galaxy/dp/B0109JIQ0W/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1464103301&sr=8-1&keywords=spigen+air+vent It arrives today.

It looks like this one is marketed under several brands and they're nearly all identical. (Seems the main difference is whether one gets an additional metal plate and/or the plate has adhesive or not.) For $7 shipped, I thought it was worth the risk.

I am cautiously guarded about how it will work. It seems to be one of the few that people report work on vertical air vents....and there sure are a large number of detailed, very positive reviews. I'll be using it with my (tired, old) iPhone 4S. I have a very thin case, so I'm hopeful that I'll just need to side the circular metal plate between the case and the phone.

My main goal is to just get the phone out of sitting in the cup holder and closer to my line of sight.

--Michael

1 - 20 of 30 Posts