Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was worried it wouldn't get to the dealer in time to pick it up yesterday as they were bringing it from a dealership 4 hours away. But my salesman called just after dinner and said it should be there around 8:30 and I can pick it up! It's the 4cyl, obviously, and 4WD. It's Classic Silver. There was one surprise with the vehicle. I guess the dealership they got it from put a pinstripe on it (typical dealer ploy to get more money...add a $30 pinstripe and charge $300 for it). The pinstripe is 2 different shades of gray. Although I'm not a pinstripe person, I actually like it on my Rav. It helps break it up a little. So that was a nice little bonus, since I didn't pay for it. Actually there were 2 other bonuses. When I signed the paperwork on my lease my payment had dropped $5. No argument from me! The third surprise was a "tip". Whoever drove the Rav from the other dealership to mine left $1.25 in the little storage area in front of the cup holders.

It will definitely take some getting used to driving it, considering I'm coming from a Neon. I've found the Rav to feel large but in a good way. It's very roomy. I like the way my arm feels on the door armrest, plenty of room. I also feel safe in the vehicle, probably due to the size. It was 10pm by the time I got home from the dealership so didn't play in it too much. I did load the changer up with 6 CDs so I was ready for my morning commute (6 CDs shoudl last me several months as I have a short commute). I LOVE the steering wheel audio controls! They're so handy! I even opened up the moonroof briefly to enjoy the view of the stars before it got too cold.

Today I got to play with it a bit more, mostly the stereo. I did notice it was skipping on one of the CDs. This is a CD burned with WMA files. But I think it might be those files or the CD as it didn't skip on the other CD I played. On the drive home I hit some rain, pretty hard at times, so I got to make use of both the front and rear wiper. I love the rear wiper! It actually clears a wider path than I expected. By the time I got home the temperature had dropped 5 degrees (according to the temp readout) and the rain had turned to snow. My sister came out and checked out the Rav. She's also interested in it but never went with me any time I looked at them, so this was her first look. She's already bugging me asking when she can drive it. She really likes it. The snow stopped and we took it for a drive up to Best Buy so I could do some returns. Surprisingly, I had no problem parking it. Although it's much bigger than my Neon it handles very well.

I posted in the Mechanical forum the 2 issues I have with it. Most concerning is the burning oil smell. I'm not sure if this is normal, even with 300 miles on it or something I shoud take it in to have looked at. The other issue is the driver's side rear seat release. Sometimes it takes several pulls of the lever to get the seat to fold down. Maybe it just needs broken in. I'll try to get some pictures soon. Not easy considering it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home. I might try to take my digital camera to work tomorrow and take some pics at lunch. I'm looking forward to spending some more time getting to know and enjoy my Rav!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
congratulatioins. cant wait to see the photos. :lol:

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
congrats. Im sure the burning 'oil' smell is nothing but the anti rust spray that they spray on the bottom of the truck for the trip across the ocean to here. Mine does it too. In fact all new Imports do it until it burns off. On the Suzuki it took almost 5000 miles for the smell to completly go away.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fantastic. I know you will like the Sport as much as I do. It gets alot of attention. Just today, as I was walking towards it, this other couple who saw it earlier told me how nice it was. I am still surprised how big it really is as I drive down the street and look at its reflection in the store windows. We will be waiting for the pics. Take a bunch and put some in the album also.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called my salesman yesterday and he said the burning smell is normal. So I'll see if it goes away. Pics will probably have to wait to the weekend now. We got some snow and I hate to say but my baby needs a bath already. I hate how all that dirty sludge from the road splashes up. The spare tire cover is really dirty.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
khakiboy said:
I called my salesman yesterday and he said the burning smell is normal. So I'll see if it goes away. Pics will probably have to wait to the weekend now. We got some snow and I hate to say but my baby needs a bath already. I hate how all that dirty sludge from the road splashes up. The spare tire cover is really dirty.
Everyone hates when their new Rav gets to the point where it needs a washing. My advise is do not take it to a carwash that has brushes. A brushless wash is recommended or the do it yourself with the high pressure wand. I planned ahead and bought a Husky pressure washer to use when it gets warmer.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the Mr Clean Autowash last summer but never used it with my old car. Luckily it's supposed to warm up this weekend so I can go ahead and wash it and wax it.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, it took longer than expected but I finally created an album and put pics of my Rav up! I have more pics but it won't allow me to post any more.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great pictures!

Gives a good view from many angles for us future RAV4 owners.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! I love them too. To me, the wheels aren't a big thing. I'll take whatever is on them. But I do really like the ones on the Sport. I redid some pics in my album so I could add some of my other pics in, including a close-up of the wheels.

Hmmm, can't seem to get the image to insert.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pinstriping

What do you guys think of the pinstriping? That was one of the little surprises when I went to pick it up. Normally I don't care for it but I actually like it on the Rav. The one side shot shows how it helps break up the view. I also posted a close-up of the striping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts