Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So been away traveling a lot and not been able to make it there. Moving to Nashville, Tennessee with a new job and it has been crazy !!!

... and then this happens !!!
This idiot flies out a parking spot backwards and runs into me at a gas station. I kept on honking but it didn't work.

I bought it for 3,000 almost two years ago but I put another 3,000 in it to make it perfect and I love it.
I have also personally put almost 80k miles on it bringing it to 230k.

I have full coverage but I can't even claim on his insurance because they will probably total it. I don't want 3000 back. I don't want to have to find this kind of vehicle again and spend another 3000 to make it OEM nice. It took me two years to get all proper OEM parts and get dents dings out and make everything functional on this one.

Thinking about taking the front apart and whatever needs to be pulled out, tie it to a tree and drive it back wards.......... IDEAS ?

I will have to pay out of my own pocket to get it fixed now.

Pics get up side down AFTER the upload. Not sure why.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you are lucky, it could all be bolt-on parts and a easy fix.

This looks to be survivable, it is a nice Rav4.

Reactions: RAV4EVR

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
Glad no one was hurt, the damage in the photos looks repairable.

Pull the bumper skin off and take a look, the only parts there that would concern me is if he managed to bend the frame (okay I know it's uni-body construction) or hit the wheel and damaged the shock tower. There really isn't anything major down in the forward front corner of the car body. Just below the headlights there is a beam that runs from one fender to the other; it's very lightweight and could possibly be straightened or shouldn't be hard to get from a donor vehicle. There is a cover that hides it below the headlights again it shouldn't be hard to get one. Fenders aren't very expensive new, shipping is about as much as the fender. You can use a heat gun to possibly pop the dent out of the bumper skin don't try to do it without heat or it will not come out right. You can look on YouTube for videos on how to do it.

Some people don't want an accident on their insurance, maybe he'll settle with you in cash.

Photo of driver side (left) with the bumper skin off - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N4qdhM8CoaQWtYT01ORUVFOXc

Photo of passenger side (right) with the bumper skin off - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N4qdhM8CoaVTRkam1peFhMLVU

Good luck

Reactions: RAV4EVR

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be making a claim on his insurance. IF they junk my car, I will buy it back with salvage title. The money I get will be spent in the basic front clip repair. I will be taking off all parts and installing them. Painting will of course need to be done.

Plus I will pay to paint the whole car and install the new roof system that I already acquired from the junkyard.
Big project !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good plan! It definitely looks repairable. Just take your time. You won't really know the extent of what needs to be bent back until the bumper is off and the headlight is pulled out, just factor in more time than you expect. I just had a rear end collision in mine a few weeks ago and spent a weekend bending everything back and putting on a different back hatch. Also ended up making a trailer hitch and putting it on. It's a good opportunity for modding a little more!

Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUESTION !!

I have acquired the fender turn signal lights from the junkyard from a 1997 model. I don't have turn signal lights on the fender itself. Now since I have to change the fender I was thinking that I just take the fenders from the 1997 in the junkayrd (both sides) and put them on mine so I won't have to drill those perfect holes in mine.

Can the 1997 fenders fi a 1998?
Also consider the side molding please. Will it click on correctly? as the molding/fender flares is different from 1997 to 1998.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Settlement reached !! I am keeping my 1998 RAV. ... with a salvage title.. Nobody is gonna crush it or part it !!

I am getting $2100. I could have gotten $2900 if I had totaled it but I have a vehicle for 800 dollars.

So the following is on the table for me.

1) New roof (OEM sunroof was cut out of a RAV4 from a junkyard a while back). Mine has an after market one.
2) New headliner, all lighting, buttons and handles that go on the roof from the "L" model. Already in my garage taken off of a RAV 4 L from the junkyard.
3) Front CLIP has to be repaired now. I will have to take off fenders and bumper and lights to see how that can be repaired.
4) Even though only one fender is damaged, I will replace both from a 1997 in the junkyard simply because there is side blinker holes in those fenders and I had already taken out side blinkers from that RAV4 in the junkyard so now it will be easy to place them in.
5) Complete new paint job.
6) New/used engine. I am running out of a quart of oil every 500 miles now. Vehicle is smoking at start up.

Engine (1000) + installation (1000) = 2000
Front clip (1000) + parts (300) = 1300
roof cut/weld = 1200
paint = 1000

$5500 (For a complete overhaul and more) ........ but with a salvage title...
Out of that $2000 from the insurance so about 3500/4000 out of my pocket to have a new retro vehicle.

How is that for a plan?
BE BRUTAL !!!

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
If it is just smoking at start up, mine is doing it too, all you should have to do is replace the valve seals, I'm doing mine next week. If you decide to replace the engine maybe consider a 3SGE BEAMS red-top, a big step up in horse power in a naturally aspirated engine.

Overall sounds like a great plan. Do you think anything other than the fender was damaged? One way to find out is to take in in for a four wheel alignment and if it is really messed up it will show up.

I like the top idea, is that a double sunroof or the single?

Great plan to get her in great shape and back on the trail...

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Yeah I wondered about the roof replacement you'd mentioned previously. Now it'll get done with a cash infusion.

And I definitely agree with eodgator! You gotta end up with more go-power too. Probably only cost another $1000 for a BEAMS and I hear it really wakes a RAV4 up.

BTW, How's the wife holding up? From what you said earlier she was probably thinking this was the chance to get rid of it as she'd advised.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it is just smoking at start up, mine is doing it too, all you should have to do is replace the valve seals, I'm doing mine next week. If you decide to replace the engine maybe consider a 3SGE BEAMS red-top, a big step up in horse power in a naturally aspirated engine.

Overall sounds like a great plan. Do you think anything other than the fender was damaged? One way to find out is to take in in for a four wheel alignment and if it is really messed up it will show up.

I like the top idea, is that a double sunroof or the single?

Great plan to get her in great shape and back on the trail...

I had gotten an estimate on the valve seals. I don’t have the expertise or the time to do it myself. I wish I had. L
It is costing me same as putting an engine in with about 40k miles.

Only the clip under the bumper that is actually bolted on also was damaged. I got one from junkyard for 50 dollars. Nothing else. Just fender and bumper cover and headlight needs replacing.

Yeah I wondered about the roof replacement you'd mentioned previously. Now it'll get done with a cash infusion.

And I definitely agree with eodgator! You gotta end up with more go-power too. Probably only cost another $1000 for a BEAMS and I hear it really wakes a RAV4 up.

BTW, How's the wife holding up? From what you said earlier she was probably thinking this was the chance to get rid of it as she'd advised.

I am getting an engine from a 1998 RAV4 with about 40k miles for about 900 dollars. Is BEAMS still better than that?
I mentioned the 2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO in grey or desert dune to my wife for $40k. She freaked out!!! … so I think she won’t get in my way of spending 5 grand on this one. LOL !!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
You can pick up a 3SGE BEAMS engine for about the same price... 200 plus horsepower! The wire harness is the biggest PIA that know about it. The single engine mount mod is not supposed to be difficult. You would need to modify the exhaust manifold and use a slim radiator cooling fan to replace the regular fan in front of the engine. At some point upgrading the exhaust system would probably be a must.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That is a lot of $$ to put into a high mileage '98 RAV. Motor + damage + paint is one too many costs IMO. Plus you need to add in the loss of use time while all this work is being done and consider the fact the rest of the running gear has 230K on it. I'd take that $5500 and put it towards something newer myself. Sad, it's a nice looking RAV, so I get your desire. But you need to remember what book value is also, and the fact you will have over 11K total into a $3,000 car.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
That is a lot of $$ to put into a high mileage '98 RAV. Motor + damage + paint is one too many costs IMO. Plus you need to add in the loss of use time while all this work is being done and consider the fact the rest of the running gear has 230K on it. I'd take that $5500 and put it towards something newer myself. Sad, it's a nice looking RAV, so I get your desire. But you need to remember what book value is also.
I agree, too much inefficient use of time & money not to mention the downtime. I do think he's already given up on any resale value since it's a salvage title.

If not a newer RAV4 how about a search for another 4.1 with the roof he wants, etc. Should be able to find almost a pristine one for $5500. Then "old faithful" becomes a parts & upgrades donor.

In any case I'd never come out of it with just a stock replacement engine.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can pick up a 3SGE BEAMS engine for about the same price... 200 plus horsepower! The wire harness is the biggest PIA that know about it. The single engine mount mod is not supposed to be difficult. You would need to modify the exhaust manifold and use a slim radiator cooling fan to replace the regular fan in front of the engine. At some point upgrading the exhaust system would probably be a must.

I have a guy with a transfer case from a 1998 RAV4 with only 40k miles. Should I get it replaced along with the engine as well? Does it make a difference if the case is from an auto trans or manual trans?
Also aren't trans and transfer case built together? he said that he sold the trans already.

HE has an engine from a 1998 RAV with only 40k miles that he is giving me for about 900 dollars. So that is why I was keen on getting that.

The beams engine.. does it take my fuel economy down? I get 21mpg on freeway right now. LOL

·
Registered
481 Posts
The 4.1 auto and manual transfer cases are very different.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is a lot of $$ to put into a high mileage '98 RAV. Motor + damage + paint is one too many costs IMO. Plus you need to add in the loss of use time while all this work is being done and consider the fact the rest of the running gear has 230K on it. I'd take that $5500 and put it towards something newer myself. Sad, it's a nice looking RAV, so I get your desire. But you need to remember what book value is also, and the fact you will have over 11K total into a $3,000 car.

I agree, too much inefficient use of time & money not to mention the downtime. I do think he's already given up on any resale value since it's a salvage title.

If not a newer RAV4 how about a search for another 4.1 with the roof he wants, etc. Should be able to find almost a pristine one for $5500. Then "old faithful" becomes a parts & upgrades donor.

In any case I'd never come out of it with just a stock replacement engine.

I hear you guys... I have purchased parts and fixing it myself for UNDER $400 !!!
Dropped the ROOF idea for now until I see some cash sitting around.

I now may or may not make a claim to get those $2100 or so dollars. DECIDING !!
Even if I have a salvage title I should be able to get 1500 to 2000 for this vehicle because it is in amazing condition.

See attached pics from last night. I was able to buy that front clip from junkyard. It bolts right on.

Here is what is in my head justifying my insanity. LOL !!!

• MONEY: My vehicle does not have to be new but it has to look like new. Spend my $4000/$5000 on another vehicle? A 5k vehicle won’t be perfect while my current RAV4 has had almost everything refreshed in the past few years except the engine and transmission. I will spend another 3 to 5k on a vehicle that I purchase for 5k. I drive 40k-50k per year. How much does a vehicle depreciate a year if that many miles are put on a vehicle? A 20k vehicle will be worth about 15k in one year. Lost about $5000.00. A $30/$40k vehicle would lose about $10k. From the math above, I feel like I can drive any vehicle of my choice and I would be losing about the same amount of money.
  • UNIQUENESS: Every small SUV today looks the same!!! When 4.2 came out, it was so beautiful. Then every single manufacturer decided to make their mini suvs look like that. Now they all look the SAME !!! I can’t stand that. …. A little back ground on my love for a unique/old school 4x4. Had a 1982 FJ40 Land Cruiser and then I purchased a blue FJ Cruiser which I still have. I wanted another run around vehicle and the ONLY unique STICK SHIFT SUV that was small and fuel efficient and was very off road capable was the first gen RAV4. The Central Differential Locking system is awesome!!! Manual Transmission is Awesome!!! Hate auto trans cars. Hate driving a vehicle that looks like ALL vehicles on the road.
  • SENTIMENTAL: I have been around the whole North American continent including the Arctic ocean in this vehicle with my two kids.

Attachments

Reactions: vanib

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I agree RAV4EVR, I would rather maintain an older vehicle with some style and and that I know rather than buying another one. I just found that I don't need to do the valve seals as I thought I would, it must have been the oil and cleaner burning out of the system from my maintenance. No more smoke!

I'm now prepping mine to install Mossy Oak Obsession camo wrap over everything but the trim, hopefully this weekend. I'm pulling all the trim off, cleaning, and painting door jams installing sound deadening material inside and over the outside of the doors. After I finish I'm putting sound deadening material throughout the interior and above the headliner.

When I'm done all major systems have been replaced, repaired, and/or upgraded to the way I want it other than the engine. The engine has 132,000 miles and is running great, at some time in the future I plan on going to the redtop BEAMS.

I wasn't looking at resale value, I would rather do these things than make car payments or try to shop for something in better shape.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts