Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the nimrods @ NAPA told me since the shield was "special ordered" they will not take it back :x so I decided to mount it anyway (better to have some protection than none. Here are some pics:

The color is VERY dark on the shield so it matches well with a dark colored vehicle. Simple to install with little "push pins" and the holes line up perfectly with existing holes under the hood. Stand off is about 1" off the hood surface so cleaning is easy (I thought it was closer when I looked at the shield). Finish is very good and there are no rough edges. They ship it with little bumpers that you are supposed to mount to the paint to prevent the shield from contacting the hood surface. It takes a considerable amount of "pushing" on the shiled to contact the hood with the outer most points of the shield being the easiest to push to the paint surface. Rather than mount these self adhesive "bumpers" (they are about 1/4" in diameter and stand about 1/8' high) on the hood surface, I mounted them (4 in all) to the upper edge of the shield (you might be able to see them on one of the photos) One on each extreme end and the other two centered and spaced evenly on the center portion of the deflector). I consider this better than mounting directly on the paint.

If your are interested the part number is 24139, Autoventshade, I ordered it thru my local NAPA store and paid about $82.00 US for it, shipping included. All in all it's not that bad and I think it is much better than the OEM U.S. Toyota shield that is supposed to become available here in the near future (and probably cheaper) :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
progun said:
Well the nimrods @ NAPA told me since the shield was "special ordered" they will not take it back :x so I decided to mount it anyway (better to have some protection than none.
I THINK IT LOOKS AWESOME!!! are you thinking of bringing it back?? why?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, gonna keep it until something better comes along. I wouold have preferred the ends go all the way across but it's looks ok and I gives me some measure of protection. It does sit too high off the hood but I would rather have the height and be able to clean/polish under it that have to remove it each time. For now, I'm happy. :D

·
Registered
682 Posts
Why not get a Toyota bonnet protector. It covers the whole front edge of the bonnet (or hood as u guys call it).

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mohit, where did you get your "bonnet" protector? it really does follow the hood to the ends over the headlilghts for more coverage doesn't it? i'd like the part # thanks, Grant

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW that really looks nice. I wish they were available here in Hawaii :cry: ! I guess they'll make it over here in the near future and when they do, I'll be pikcing one up.... Thanks for the picture.... :D

·
Registered
682 Posts
Guys that picture i posted shows the bonnet protector that can be bought from Toyota dealers here in Oz. If history is anything to go by the bonnet protector is made by EGR as they make pretty much all plastic accessories for Toyotas sold in Oz. Sorry, i don't have a part number.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is there any way you can compare the size of the Bugflecta II with the US Toyota version? From the pics I can't tell whether the Bugflecta is a little bigger than the US OEM or is it the same?
Canadian one looks a bit on the big side, don't think wife will go for that.
thanks

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
from what I've seen here in the islands, the Bugflecta is a little larger than the OEM version. it has little wings that extend about 6 inches past the inner corner of the headlights in both directions. It has plent of room to clean under and so for has done a great job of keeing flying boulders off the windshield.. I think she'll go for it! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
if you like the look of the full width cover, then checkout the Benevento Deflector. Thats the one i have on mine. It goes about 2 inches further up the hood than the white one in the pic above but it fits perfectly, is very thick, covers the full width, and was $85.00 on sale through amazon about 4 weeks or so ago.. i think it is $99.00 normally.
Just a thought for those in the market.

·
Premium Member
7,968 Posts
I'm real happy with the FormFit by Focus Auto Design hood protector my dealer ordered for me, and the $69 w/tax didn't bother me a bit either!!

Tim

·
Registered
333 Posts
how it holding up? Any regrets? Does it rub the paint? I am thinking of getting one.....is it still on sturdy? Can I install it myself....ie was it a hard install or was nothing left to the imagination...I read on their website it was stuck on with tape...is it holdong up ok?

progun said:
Well the nimrods @ NAPA told me since the shield was "special ordered" they will not take it back :x so I decided to mount it anyway (better to have some protection than none. Here are some pics:

The color is VERY dark on the shield so it matches well with a dark colored vehicle. Simple to install with little "push pins" and the holes line up perfectly with existing holes under the hood. Stand off is about 1" off the hood surface so cleaning is easy (I thought it was closer when I looked at the shield). Finish is very good and there are no rough edges. They ship it with little bumpers that you are supposed to mount to the paint to prevent the shield from contacting the hood surface. It takes a considerable amount of "pushing" on the shiled to contact the hood with the outer most points of the shield being the easiest to push to the paint surface. Rather than mount these self adhesive "bumpers" (they are about 1/4" in diameter and stand about 1/8' high) on the hood surface, I mounted them (4 in all) to the upper edge of the shield (you might be able to see them on one of the photos) One on each extreme end and the other two centered and spaced evenly on the center portion of the deflector). I consider this better than mounting directly on the paint.

If your are interested the part number is 24139, Autoventshade, I ordered it thru my local NAPA store and paid about $82.00 US for it, shipping included. All in all it's not that bad and I think it is much better than the OEM U.S. Toyota shield that is supposed to become available here in the near future (and probably cheaper) :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so how many options are there currently for a hood protector on the 06 Rav4?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorri it took me so long to reply.... been really busy with work and such....

Let me answer your questions....

Easy to install. It uses button clips very similar to the OEM ones used on the front cover of the engine compartment. It uses existing holes in the under side of the front hood brace. Took me all of aboout 5 minutes to install. A real no brainer. No tape is involved...

It's holding up very well, does not rub the hood (I've had the RAV over 100 MPH and everything was fine).

The company provides you with little bumper tabs to mount on the hood to prevent the deflecta from hitting the finish. It stands far enough off the hood that It's never been a problem for me. I chose to place the clear bumpers on the defelcta itself rather than the hood. So far, so good.

Only regret I have is it does not cover the entire leading edge of the hood, leaving about 4 inches exposed on each side but like I said, so far, so good......

Overall I'm very happy with it. Workmanship is very good and it fits like a glove....

Hope this helps ya! :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LUND Interceptor II

I just ordered the LUND Interceptor II. I just be receiving this in 10 days. Does anybody have pictures of the LUND Interceptor II?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts