Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I saw a video on youtube showing that the spare tire cover can be lifted a bit and set on top the lower portion of the battery in some manner to create a small ramp making it easier to slide things in and out of the hatch when the rear seats are down. For those of you who actually own one, would you mind taking a picture to show this better? It would be nice to show a piece of wood or something straight on the floor to give a better idea of how large the incline is from rear of the vehicle near the hatch to the rear seats. Also, would the cover slide down as the vehicle moves or is there some way of holding it in place?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
No excuse for that, manuals are available online, I haven't cracked a paper manual for a long time, it's much easier to find what you want by using word search than physically thumbing thru a paper manual. :wink Since he has a Hybrid, he should have a manual, too many people never read it, RTFM didn't happen by chance.

https://ssl.toyota.com/owners/resources/owners-manuals

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Since he has a Hybrid, he should have a manual, too many people never read it, RTFM didn't happen by chance.
It's fairly clear to me that the OP doesn't have a hybrid:

For those of you who actually own one...

RTFP? :wink

My guess is they're only thinking about a purchase and trying to do some up-front research.

I agree with you that (way) too many people don't read the manual.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Here's a pic of the deck board in the adjusted position and the Husky cargo liner for additional info, and the manual instructions, the deck board stays in position without movement.

Attachments

·
Registered
760 Posts
That's a sweet design, flippin sales geek didn't even bother to point that feature out when I test drove one a couple of weeks ago! I even commented on the bump :mad:

Still loving this forum, thx :thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
The salesman didn't show me either, I'd bet most of them don't know it, I bet many Hybrid owners here don't know it either.....until now! :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a pic of the deck board in the adjusted position and the Husky cargo liner for additional info, and the manual instructions, the deck board stays in position without movement.
Thank you sir.

Do you have a guess as to what angle the incline is with the rear seats folded down?

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I'll see if I can get a pic and angle of the cargo area with the seats down.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi I just found this image on edmunds. It looks like it's just one solid ramp and the angle doesn't look too extreme, but maybe the picture is deceiving. It may be possible to sleep in the back.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I'm not sure how much weight you can put on the deck board when its propped up like that. I wouldn't want to test that out.

If any of this is an issue for a potential buyer, he/she should spend some time at the dealer looking at one rather than going by photos. The angle on the seat backs is pretty steep.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not sure how much weight you can put on the deck board when its propped up like that. I wouldn't want to test that out.

If any of this is an issue for a potential buyer, he/she should spend some time at the dealer looking at one rather than going by photos. The angle on the seat backs is pretty steep.
Yes that is also a concern but I am fairly light.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Here's a pic of the seats down to give you a better idea of the angle, I couldn't get the Tremec angle tool to work, several times, kept giving me errors.

I've had 280lbs of bird seed sitting on the rear deck, two 50lb millet and two 40lb black oil, with the board in the angled position, it works fine, and I would expect it to since it's made to work that way. :wink

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a pic of the seats down to give you a better idea of the angle, I couldn't get the Tremec angle tool to work, several times, kept giving me errors.

I've had 280lbs of bird seed sitting on the rear deck, two 50lb millet and two 40lb black oil, with the board in the angled position, it works fine, and I would expect it to since it's made to work that way. :wink
Wow that angle is pretty extreme. Thanks for the photo.

Yes, I am trying to find one on a dealer lot around me to take a look for myself but availability is somewhat sparse for now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
oh. now i understand why you want to know the angle. haven't taken a nap in the back yet but maybe i should try lol.

i have a mechanical magnetic angle finder gauge i used to do plumbing with. i will try to see if i can use it to get numbers this weekend (if i remember).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh. now i understand why you want to know the angle. haven't taken a nap in the back yet but maybe i should try lol.

i have a mechanical magnetic angle finder gauge i used to do plumbing with. i will try to see if i can use it to get numbers this weekend (if i remember).
I do not often sleep in my vehicle often, but when "car camping" it is more convenient and comfortable to do so than sleeping in a tent, especially when raining. I also do not have to worry about bears that want to eat me.

Edit: I've also recently come across people that do this in their prius, and they can run climate control all night for minimal cost and fuel usage with the engine only coming on for 2-3 minutes every 20-30 minutes. Sounds interesting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts