Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I like to share my pictures of these clazzio perforated leather seat covers that I installed. Installation was pretty straight forward, they included instructions specifically for the Rav4, a plastic pry tool, and some hooks. Me personally, I couldn't stand the color of my seat. I wanted the all black interior but I was able to negotiate a deal and couldn't walk away from it. I'll live with it but I just had to do something with the seat. So very important when choosing the color you want when purchasing, otherwise you'll go down the same road like I did. I looked into Katzkin as well but it was way out of my budget. Before:
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover
Vehicle Car Plant Steering part Head restraint
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

After:
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design
Car Vehicle Window Automotive design Fixture
Car Vehicle White Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Window
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Fixture
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Fixture

My overall impression, I love it! The added foam with the seat covers has made it more comfortable, It feels and look more premium, I can keep it cleaner with a simple wipe, the heated seat still works although it takes longer for me to feel it. However there are a few imperfections, wrinkles and dimples all around. I have to remind myself these are seat covers. I read that as time and weather heats up, they will mold to fit and look better. So we will see by summertime.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Those look great! Good work! I put the cheaper end vinyl Clazzio's in my previous Toyota SUV and loved them. They definitely held up well even with a 5 and 6 year old. Going on 6 months after I installed them they seemed to have molded themselves to the seat contour even better than they were right after install and still looked excellent with no shifting. I did re-tighten the ties underneath the seat at about 2-3 weeks or so.

·
Registered
990 Posts
These look good but my concern is you basically render your heated seats useless because you won't feel them at all thru the extra layers (as reviewed by other posters here)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those look great! Good work! I put the cheaper end vinyl Clazzio's in my previous Toyota SUV and loved them. They definitely held up well even with a 5 and 6 year old. Going on 6 months after I installed them they seemed to have molded themselves to the seat contour even better than they were right after install and still looked excellent with no shifting. I did re-tighten the ties underneath the seat at about 2-3 weeks or so.
Good to hear that they held up well after 5-6 years, will definitely re-tighten those ties when weather warms up.

Looks good. Where did you buy the seat covers? I googled it. Pretty expensive, around $500-$700.
I bought them at www.clazzio.com , found a 100 coupon code which help me made the decision. I thought it was expensive too, 500 for some seat covers, but the color of my cloth seat had to go! I guess cheaper seat covers would suffice but I just read so many good things about clazzio, about their quality and I must say it is worth every dollar.

These look good but my concern is you basically render your heated seats useless because you won't feel them at all thru the extra layers (as reviewed by other posters here)
I do feel the heated seats, it just takes a little longer. I do feel your concern, I bought a car with heated seats and I should be able to fully use them, but it doesn't bother me. I live in a area where the coldest temps are like low 50s.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Nice job these look good. I saw where one poster cut out cushioning in the seat area to allow the heat to get through better but I would be reluctant to do that. I expect to be installing the same covers in my R4P. I wonder if heating them up in a very warm room would help them stretch tight and relieve any stretched areas from shipping?
Any tips beyond what is included in the clazzio instructions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice job these look good. I saw where one poster cut out cushioning in the seat area to allow the heat to get through better but I would be reluctant to do that. I expect to be installing the same covers in my R4P. I wonder if heating them up in a very warm room would help them stretch tight and relieve any stretched areas from shipping?
Any tips beyond what is included in the clazzio instructions?
I read that if you leave them in the sun for a bit before install, it'll help make fitting much easier. Most tips I got were from others who had clazzios, usually with time and adjustment they will form to the seat.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I read that if you leave them in the sun for a bit before install, it'll help make fitting much easier. Most tips I got were from others who had clazzios, usually with time and adjustment they will form to the seat.
Looks nice !

Did you (or anyone) get an estimate for a commercial installation of like material by an auto interior shop ? Just curious about the price differential.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I just installed Clazzio PVC seat covers in my R4P SE w/weather package. Whew!
First of all I have to congratulate megahunter and anybody else who has successfully accomplished this task.
I am an engineer, woodworker, and generally fix things around the house and car instead of hiring it out but this task really taxed my patience. I don't have the inclination to create a "how to" but here are some tips for anybody considering this:

I bought a RAV4.5 Hybrid PVC set that was in stock for $360 (with coupon). The leather version seems like a lot more just to have leather on the center panel so the PVC seemed like a better value to me.
The quality of the seat covers is outstanding. The support straps were heavy nylon weave instead of flimsy elastic bands so you could put some force in to get them tight. They are clearly customized to the RAV4.5 Hybrid including cutouts and pockets, head rests, etc. They fit very tight with very little sag after installation to the point where they look very close to a custom OEM installation. But because they fit so tight there are some parts of the installation that can be challenging.

General:
1. The red strips are velcro hook protectors that are intended to be removed! (I missed this at first).
2. The instructions have small text and dark photos - very hard to read. I looked up many installation videos:
(This one is not clazzio but close enough and worth watching).
3. I started with the rear because I wanted the best job to be in the front. (I recommend this because you install it out)
4. Remove the rear seat bottom by pulling up in front where the seat resists (maybe a foot in from each edge).
It can take a pretty solid pull and don't pull the very edges video: YOUTUBE RAV4 PRIME REMOVE BACK SEAT - Google Search
5. If you have heated rear seats you have to unplug the wires and cut the back fabric for the wires. If I were to do it again I would sew the edge back more solidly after cutting it.
6. Leave bottom out to do the rear backs. Remove the seatbelt bolt (very tight), armrest, and plastic lock closeout per the instructions. Don't forget to remove the red fabric covering the velcro hooks before installing the 2/3 side (like I did) - it holds the backing behind the armrest in place when the armrest is down.
7. Remove the cargo tray and cover.
8. The existing cover slip-joint down low in the back is unattached and re-used. 1/2 of that joint attaches to the flap that fits under the seat to encircle the seat (This was one of the toughest parts - to pull it tight and fir the joint together.)
9. Fitting the cutouts around some of the tighter plastic grommets can be tough - just take you time and use the plastic tool to work the fabric in and it will go.
10. Highly recommend doing the passenger seat back first in the front (everything but final flap attachment.
11. Don't worry about working the top into the headrest recess - just get it on straight and pull it down as far as possible. Critical thing here is getting the seat cover tight and down.
12. Zippers: I broke the tab on one side and pulled the closure part completely off on the other (had to sew the zipper closed). To avoid this DON'T use pliers or too much force. If you pull fabric from both sides towards the zipper hand pressure will be enough to close it. For the last zipper having one person pull the fabric closed and another pull the zipper works well. Toughest side is next to the console because there is no room.
13. No way the flap that passes through from the front mates with the velcro on the back (at least on mine) so I used the velcro straps on the side to pull up tighly and mate with the velcro up top.
14. Flap from down below can be tucked into white line across the back then horizontal velcro in back can be pulled down as much as possible and attached to existing seat back.
15. Front seat bottoms are easiest. All 3 flaps go between seat back and bottom - push them through then pull them back from the back seat. Leave red velcro cover next to console in place for now.
16. Tuck outside edge into plastic seat surround then remove console side velcro, fit over seat belt buckle, and stretch down as far as possible before securing to existing seat flap.
17. Use a flashlight to make sure the straps go in a safe place under the seat. Keep them high above the mechanisms. Make sure not to cross them, attach to buckles, and pull snug.
18. Head rests are not as tough as videos lead you to believe - just be patient and keep working them down.
19. Cargo matt has to be attached somehow. I think I will use Velcro but not sure yet.
Good luck - FYI - I did NOT try to replicate all the steps so don't use this as instructions - just tips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great tips salmon! Definitely will help others. I like to see some pictures of your seats. It was a challenging install, alot of pulling and tugging with a couple of F bombs thrown in. My hands and arms were getting a great workout. But the results are amazing. I've already got compliments saying that it looks OEM and was very comfy. They couldn't believe it was seat covers.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Here are some photos. There are some spots where you can see the folds remaining from the packaging but I think for the most part those will improve in time. I am very happy with the install. I like cloth seats myself (personal preference) but my wife likes these and at some point I am sure they will come off and leave very new looking cloth seats again. They look nice but just don't feel as warm and comfortable to me.

Car Vehicle Automotive design Fixture Car seat cover

Car Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Car seat cover
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Seat belt

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Head restraint

Car Vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover Motor vehicle

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Car seat cover

1 - 12 of 12 Posts