Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for pictures of the roof gutters without the rails installed if anyone has some. Want to see what locations they have for mounting too.

To clarify.. bare roof gutters, not a pic of rails without the crossbars. Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally got to taking my rails off. I have not removed the brackets yet, it appears those may need the headliner removed to get to since the bolt turns when I attempt to loosen the nut. Not super excited with how toyota went about these Adventure rails considering I have two cross-threaded bolts straight from the factory that I had to grind off. The possibility of having to remove the headliner to get the brackets off is also poor design but I will update more whenever I get around to taking them off. Pics if anyone needed reference though..

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks for posting - the pics will undoubtedly help someone in the future.

The spinning riv nut / nut sert under the headliner is pretty common problem across manufacturers for removing the factory rack. No idea if it will work here, but in the Nissan truck world the trick was to tighten the nut-serts first, then remove. Tightening somehow kept them from spinning (sometimes).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the very helpful photos! Does anyone know if rails can be retro-fitted to the 2019 RAV4 GX??

When we bought our GX, we were told (incorrectly) by the sales guy that we could retrofit racks into the factory mounting points. Turns out there aren't any FMPs in the GX, so we are stuck with clip-mounted racks. This is not great! I'll be taking it back, but I doubt I'll be given a new car! :(.

For your interest, the gutters look exactly the same width etc as above, but with no holes or mounting points, just the rubber sitting in the gutter with friction holding it there.

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks, Pip

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what the GX is and i'm assuming FMP means factory mounting points? Honestly helps to type in clear text for me.

Have you tried removing the rubber stripping and seeing if there are any hole underneath that? To me not having rails is a blessing since I don't like the ones that came from the factory. I plan on drilling holes using plusnuts as bolt anchors and installing my own custom rack setup. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to mount either Factory Rails or aftermarket ones to the bare roof using those anchors mentioned.

·
Premium Member
7,386 Posts
I don't know what the GX is and i'm assuming FMP means factory mounting points? Honestly helps to type in clear text for me.
GX appears to be an Australian version of an LE.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have been curious if by not having any roof rails on, if that would possibly help the wind noise? I know that by taking the cross bars off, that helped some.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been curious if by not having any roof rails on, if that would possibly help the wind noise? I know that by taking the cross bars off, that helped some.
I just removed the rails and unfortunately you have to drop the headliner to gain access to the four bolts on the rails. Currently my roof is naked while I wait for parts to come in for my rack. I haven't noticed any noise reduction driving around without rails on. I'm sure you improve the mpg's a small amount with them off though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just removed the rails and unfortunately you have to drop the headliner to gain access to the four bolts on the rails. Currently my roof is naked while I wait for parts to come in for my rack. I haven't noticed any noise reduction driving around without rails on. I'm sure you improve the mpg's a small amount with them off though.
Can you post a picture of how your car looks without them at all? Are you driving around with just the mounts exposed?

·
Registered
141 Posts
How did you end up plugging the holes? Did you have to drop the headliner at all you get the mounts off?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts