Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: I have a 2002 RAV4 with ~ 25K miles which pings terribly. It's been pinging since ~18K miles. I've taken it to the dealer but they say there's no problem (surprise!). They say the computer output reads normal. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks
Flavio, Tucson, AZ

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ping

Is it when it is cold? Or is it a ping in the engine? My Rav would rattle when it was cold outside from the plastic under the windshield getting hard as it got cold.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding. No this isn't that rattle. I've taken care of that. This is engine pinging which gets much worse when the A/C is on.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
flavioguy said:
Thanks for responding. No this isn't that rattle. I've taken care of that. This is engine pinging which gets much worse when the A/C is on.
flavioguy, this question has nothing to do with the original posting, but how did you take care of the rattle that Jamal was talking about? Mine does that too and it's starting to get a bit annoying :x

Miriam

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Kelly. Yes, this fix is simple and easy. It also makes getting to the battery SO much easier. Now if only there was a solution to my pinging...... :p

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pinging like low octane knocks? Have you tried a higher octane gas for a cycle? Or you can get a can of Chevron Techron from your auto store to try. IIRC it is like $3. Worth a shot?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've thought about that but am not going down that road. The RAV4 should run on 87 octane gas. It's still under warranty and I expect there is something definitely wrong. Thanks for the suggestion anyway............I guess it's time to take it back to the dealer....again.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Some things that cause pinging or knocking-

-too lean fuel/air mixture (not enough gas for the air present)
-incorrect valve timing
-engine cooling system inadequacy
-faulty exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve
-high intake-air temperature
-driving in too high a gear
-excessive carbon deposits

Like what was mentioned above, I say try a bottle of Techron and a few tanks of premium gas. You don't have to permanently switch to premium gas, just use it for 3-4 tankfuls.

I gave up on taking my Rav to the dealer for just about everything, unless it is an easily recognizable problem or costs a lot of money is covered by the warranty.

Your pinging problem sounds like it belongs in the category of "Yes sir we checked everything out and couldn't replicate the problem".

·
Registered
51 Posts
Getting what you pay for?

You might be paying for 87 octane, but getting something less. It happens.

I'd change gas stations, and see if that helps.

RAV on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Flavioguy, Did you ever get that pinging issue fixed? I'm having the same issue and the dealership is going to take a look at it for the second time. Just curious. Thanks! Robert

1 - 11 of 11 Posts