Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting about my installation of a Pioneer 4100NEX

Crux 61N harness used and retained my factory back up camera and steering wheel controls(volume/track skip) lost phone call controls but using CarPlay is better.

Axxess TOYUSB-1 retained factory USB adapter in car

As for the reciever itself it was only 518 on Amazon and I have to say it's the best deal for what you get. HDMI input two USB inputs for CarPlay and android auto. The features you get are fantastic and I haven't had any problems since the install.

I used the Scosche dash kit if anyone was curious matched better then the Metra kit I also purchased.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
nixboy, can you tell us what you were able to retain using the Crux 61N harness

please list your functions beside each one below.

steering wheel buttons

vol + =

vol - =

arrow up =

arrow down =

left arrow =

right arrow =

middle button =

source/ (hold to mute) =

answer phone =

hangup phone =

voice =

the Scosche dash kit looks perfect, glad I didn't order the cruchfield suggested metra kit which is very light gray.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Crux 61N harness used and retained my factory back up camera and steering wheel controls(volume/track skip) lost phone call controls but using CarPlay is better.

As for the reciever itself it was only 518 on Amazon and I have to say it's the best deal for what you get. HDMI input two USB inputs for CarPlay and android auto. The features you get are fantastic and I haven't had any problems since the install.

I used the Scosche dash kit if anyone was curious matched better then the Metra kit I also purchased.
Metra looks fine with me as shown in the attached picture

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts

As for the receiver itself it was only 518 on Amazon and I have to say it's the best deal for what you get. HDMI input two USB inputs for CarPlay and android auto. The features you get are fantastic and I haven't had any problems since the install.

You can retain all controls by modifying some resistors and connection as shown in the attachments. This was provided to me from other forums. Otherwise buy PAC steering wheel adapter (though I haven't tried)

My HU is AVH-X8650BT.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The features retained are as listed

Volume +/-
Track up/down arrows
Mode works to switch between features on reciever.
Display button for factory dash as before.
Call button decreases the volume to 1 or 2 very low. All other features are gone.

The Metra kit I got from Amazon was lighter gray and the feel of it was not smooth as compared to the Scosche also it was lighter which I didn't like. Maybe I got a bad kit but I went with the Scosche.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why this over the alpine? Option for android auto? I'm debating this or just doing an iPad mini mounted over with quick mount/release

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pioneer was better priced with better options. I would recommend getting this unit over mounting an iPad mini much cleaner look.

·
Registered
335 Posts

You can try Canbus for all steering wheel controls function: CS Z0002 Toyota JBL Canbus Decoder Box for Car GPS DVD Player Stereo Radio Unit | eBay

·
Registered
45 Posts

nice...now I gotta debate on which unit I want now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im trying to hardwire the back up camera into my headunit but there seems to be some discrepancy on what the pin out for video/power is. Can you shed some light on what pins connect to video and power on that harness?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts