Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to use two front tow hooks to help tie down my kayaks. Don't want to purchase the expensive steel hooks as It doesn't need to be that strong to hold down kayaks. Anyone know of anything that will fit the existing front tow hook threads? I have a 09'

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
The actual size is M24-2.0. Not a very common thread size.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
The things are called Lift Bolts (or Eye Bolt) M24-20 is uncommon enough that I doubt your local hardware store has them. What you might do is search for a metric thread reducer to fit the M24 to a smaller, more common lift-style bolt. Forget plastic or nylon. They are usually as expensive as steel.

All in all, purchasing a stock replacement or a pair of them is probably a good idea. You should have one that came with your RAV4. Don't you? It would be in one of the back corner compartments in a a plastic pouch.

Let us know how this works out, please.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I haul a tandem kayak and a lot of other things on my roof and I spent a lot of time looking for an extra tow hook. Never could find anything cheaper and I was sick of looking, so I paid the stinking Toyota dealer 48 bucks for a $5 tow hook. What a rip off but the vehicle does look a little more macho with the 2 front tow hooks installed, you might try a salvage yard.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I car-top a canoe. I bought two matching tow hooks at a auto salvage yard, they gave me a discount since I gave them the original hook...I wanted two that matched. I think I ended paying about $20 for both. The Camry hooks are black and more prevalent so I'd just ask them at a recycler to get you two matching hooks with the same thread size and pitch as your RAV4's... supposedly, our Toyotas are shipped from manufacturing with two hooks, one being removed along the way or by the dealer...I'm not sure if this is true or not, just something I came across.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Check eBay, I searched Toyota tow hook and saw few that were around 20 bucks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This may come bit late, but I was in a similar situation. I took the Toyota hook down to our local industrial bolt supplier, and asked them for a bolt with the same thread and similar length. They came back with a cap screw for about $10. It did not match the Toyota hook, but it threaded in nicely and gave me an easy tie down point for the kayak tie downs.

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts