Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Limited with only 849 miles on it and while checking things out under the hood, noticed a piece that I would term a stress relief section on the top wire harness bundle broken off! I have the piece, and will be taking a ride to dealer tomorrow. Crazy glue is not an option on a brand new $35K SUV! I feel that Manufacturers are getting way too cheap with their plastic parts. :mad: Sorry, no pic. of the part in question.:frown

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I took a ride to the dealer and showed the service foreman, who in turn with another service advisor took pics. of the harness. They are having the parts dept. look into whether just the connector cover or whole plug has to be replaced. They also sent pics. & write up to Toyota Corp. We shall see....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I got a call from my dealers service dept. today. Toyota is replacing the whole connector at their cost. It's a $800.00 part. Plus giving me loaner
car while mine is in the shop. They are taking the old connector back to analyze it. I'm thinking Toyota needs to look into their plastic suppliers....

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
$800.00 for a plastic connector? I would hate to have to buy a RAV or other vehicle part-by-part! Is it only the connector, or is it a wire loom/harness or other larger part?
:surprise

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$800 is for what they are terming the pre harness assembly. Toyota is footing the bill for this. ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,112 Posts
Astounding price for what you have described!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,731 Posts
Yeah, I'd be curious to see a picture of what an 800 dollar plastic connector looks like!

·
Registered
627 Posts
$800 is not the price of the connector, but the entire wire harness that has to be replaced with it. Toyota normally does not allow wire splicing as a valid warranty repair procedure, and instructs the dealers to replace the entire affected harness.

Splicing wires to repair a damaged wire or connector is a common, but "shoddy" practice. Many industries/companies do not allow it for safety reasons (for example the company I work for). Even a single damaged wire in a harness demands a full harness replacement. So instead of a $5 repair by a shoddy handyman we spend north of $2-3,000 dollars on a full replacement / re-wiring - some people think this is excessive, but safety is more important than money.

I am 100% with Toyota on this one - splicing cables is an unsafe practice, and replacing a harness is the right procedure, even if it costs several hundreds dollars.

BTW, some manufacturers DO allow wire splicing, for example VW. A friend of mine has a VW Toureg which was subject to a recall due to defective wire harness and VW "recommended" repair procedure was to splice cables, instead of footing the bill for a $2000 complete harness repair. The result was that my friend had to take the car to the dealer 3 times, because the repairs (splices) were failing. Each dealer visited lasted more than one day, and finally he demanded to have the full harness replaced.

If you think that $800 dollars harness replacement is expensive, be careful to not damage the wiring under the front seats. The wire harness under the front seats includes cables for the air bag and passenger weight classification system. If you damage this harness, be prepared to spend $2000 - because replacement requires pulling out the carpet and dashboard. Unless you prefer to splice the cables yourself and you don't care about the air bags working in an accident.

·
Registered
91 Posts
there are some cases where the manufacturer allows splicing, the air bag connectors in some cars melt when the bags are blown, and the connectors are MANDATORY replacement items when the car is repaired.

I am an insurance appraiser, and I will allow for harness repair for things like headlights, tail lights, and side marker lights, but other than that I am replacing with new or LKQ harness from a known good supplier.

Todays cars are very finicky when it comes to the wiring. Between CANBUS and sensors that are very picky when it comes to voltage and current ranges ( and no car is more of a pain in the arse than a Toyota when it comes to that) I'm not going to allow for a repair and then face the liability issue down the line when the ABS, SRS, or any other system fails to operate as designed because some shop used a wire nut and electrical tape to fix a damaged wire.

Soldering and heat shrink tubing used to be fine, but even now that is not an allowed repair as it will change the characteristics of the conductor.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been in the fire service for over 21 years and have seen my fair share of vehicle fires. Last thing I want or need is my brand new SUV going up in flames due to a poor repair job. This is the ECU main bundle harness we're talking about. Bad wire there and a whole lot of bad can occur...$ 800 is far better then $35,000

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Good that Toyota is footing the bill and providing the complete part. Some of us are amazed that even a wiring harness would cost $800, but at least when I was to buy one for my '55 Ford the cost was less than $800.00 minus the last dollar zero! I ended up replacing and solder connecting the bad part at no cost. Cars now are becoming ever more complicated and complex, and every added bit of new "safety" equipment and other gear makes matters even more complex and costly.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Post a picture of the harness/repair when you have your RAV back please, I and others would like to know what this 'piece' is and where it's located in the engine compartment.

Thanks! ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RE: Plastic connector breakage

So, after a week long repair I finally got my car back. :) It turns out that it is a very complicated repair. The whole harness including BOTH engine comp. relay/fuse boxes gets replaced. I was told that the wiring in this case is installed before the drivetrain, so the tech had to gingerly snake the wires around whole engine comp. and through the firewall into interior fuse box. All totaled the job cost Toyota close to 6K! They did a super job and loaned me a '15 loaded Venza to boot. :smile

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's the large black connector the plugs into the silver box(ECU) that is mounted next to the air cleaner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts