Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have recently bought a rav4 56 plate. I'm very happy with it so far despite its age. I noticed last night that there is a piece of plastic hanging down under the front of the car. It's almost touching the floor & appears to be a cover. Is this a serious problem or is it easy to fix ? Please forgive my ignorance !

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
That is the engine splash cover on the bottom. It is held by 6 philips hex screws on the bumper and half a dozen push pin clips. You probably have 1 or more push pin clip that may have fell off or missing. It is very easy to fix and you should be able to buy some from the Toyota dealer (or Ebay if no hurry is dirt cheap) for a few dollars each. There are 2 different push pin clip that attach to the splash shield depending if it is for a 7 mm or 9 mm hole.

To install or remove the push pin clip check youtube and search " How to safely remove bumper Retainer clips without breaking them- DiyCarModz"

Get those push pin clips quickly otherwise you will damage the splash shield if you drag it around.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
The other option is to remove the whole thing. Mine's hanging in my garage and not bothering anyone. Makes oil changes easier too.
That could be why yours is hanging. Whoever did the last oil change didn't put all the fasteners back on correctly.

BTW what is a "rav4 56 plate?"

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The other option is to remove the whole thing. Mine's hanging in my garage and not bothering anyone. Makes oil changes easier too.
That could be why yours is hanging. Whoever did the last oil change didn't put all the fasteners back on correctly.
I have my splash cover on and you can do the oil change with it installed. The passenger side (where the oil drain and oil filter is located) has a big gap that is not covered up by the splash cover. It is more likely that the cover may have hit something to make the push pin come loose or someone put back a damaged push pin on. Those push pin once on should not come out unless some are missing making the entire splash cover not on tight.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
You can also use sturdy zip ties to keep it in place for now.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
BTW what is a "rav4 56 plate?"
I thought it was a typo at first, or an auto-correct error. But it seemed too unusual to be just a typo, so I did a Google search and found this LINK.

So it seems the OP has a model from the last part of 2006.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I thought it was a typo at first, or an auto-correct error. But it seemed too unusual to be just a typo, so I did a Google search and found this LINK.

So it seems the OP has a model from the last part of 2006.
Good detective work Rick.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Good detective work Rick.
More work needed. The OP's "About Me" lists a 2006 RAV4 Diesel manual with a US location. That doesn't compute.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
More work needed. The OP's "About Me" lists a 2006 RAV4 Diesel manual with a US location. That doesn't compute.

Yeah, I was wondering when they described the vehicle as a "56 plate." U.K.?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
No, they are posting from Hampshire. Maybe they think they are in NEW Hampshire.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Reviving this thread to ask for clarification on the fasteners on the splash shield for 2011 bass I4. I’ve looked around online no not many concrete answered to what exactly I need and how many. To better help me consider I’m getting a new splash shield altogether, with none of previous parts remaining.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts