Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd give a quick post for anyone who is considering using Rustolium Flexidip to plastidip whatever.

I bought the cans from Home depot and overall it went quite well. It was my first time plastidipping anything so there was a bit of a learning curve. I would use flexidip again especially since its only 12 bucks a can.

I also used Protectdip high gloss to spray the rims to help protect them/ add some gloss.

the products I used. 1 can protect dip, 3 cans flexidip

finished product

for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to leave the "4" left alone.....I plastidipped it after taking the photo lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
that's awesome! i do know they come off later on. can you update me on how long it takes before it starts to peel off again? i've seen this condition with other people's car in my area and redoing it prevents me from doing this at all. but i'm still open with this idea as there are parts on my rav that i think will look better if they are flat black. l

looking forward to hearing from you again.

thank you..

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Looks good. I wouldn't use plastidip myself but the effect is good. I would have left the lug nuts chrome and chrome part of the center cap. Blacking out looks good but some contrast is good too IMO.

You should remove your roof rack all together. Looks sleeker.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's awesome! i do know they come off later on. can you update me on how long it takes before it starts to peel off again? i've seen this condition with other people's car in my area and redoing it prevents me from doing this at all. but i'm still open with this idea as there are parts on my rav that i think will look better if they are flat black. l

looking forward to hearing from you again.

thank you..
Will do. I am particularly curious how well the rims hold up. The emblems are fairly easy to touch up so I am not too concerned with them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good. I wouldn't use plastidip myself but the effect is good. I would have left the lug nuts chrome and chrome part of the center cap. Blacking out looks good but some contrast is good too IMO.

Yea, maybe next time I will toy around and do something like that, but since it was my first time I wanted to keep it straight forward with less possibility of things peeling and what not.

I thought about removing the roof rack but plastidipping them seemed easier than removing them.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I thought about removing the roof rack but plastidipping them seemed easier than removing them.
Yeah, $100 in overpriced parts too. But, drying the car, brushing off snow is much easier with out them, and the look were worth it for me. Too bad we have to pay for parts to remove a feature of the car we don't want though.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I also used plastidip to spray my wheels black and left the lug nuts and center cap untouched. There's no damage yet after 6 months, so i'm happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had my badges, front grille chrome trim and chrome inside the headlights dip'd for 3 years now and it's holding up great. 3 coats black, 3 coats Hyper Black Graphite pearl. It's a PERFECT match to Magnetic Grey Metallic.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've had my badges, front grille chrome trim and chrome inside the headlights dip'd for 3 years now and it's holding up great. 3 coats black, 3 coats Hyper Black Graphite pearl. It's a PERFECT match to Magnetic Grey Metallic.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Could you post pics of your badges, grille, headlights? I also have Magnetic Grey Metallic rav4.
I'm considering the plastidip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just thought I'd give a quick post for anyone who is considering using Rustolium Flexidip to plastidip whatever.

I bought the cans from Home depot and overall it went quite well. It was my first time plastidipping anything so there was a bit of a learning curve. I would use flexidip again especially since its only 12 bucks a can.

I also used Protectdip high gloss to spray the rims to help protect them/ add some gloss.
Looks awesome! Quick question -- did you remove the roof rails to spray them? Or did you use painters tape and/or drap something over the car?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Looks awesome! Quick question -- did you remove the roof rails to spray them? Or did you use painters tape and/or drap something over the car?
Thanks! I left the racks on. Apparently it takes a bit of work to take them off and I'm fine with having them on. I had a bunch of plastic trap that is used for painting so I covered the car up. I did that for the decals also plastic around most of the area and then painters tape.

A word of warning, if you plan on doing that make sure you either don't have a strong wind to blow the plastic onto the wet plastidip or everything is anchored down.

Also for an update the plastidip is still holding and looking great! I might redo the rims once new tread goes on but the decals and racks still look fresh.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Does anyone have any specific Youtube video that you followed when you are starting out with plastidip? Looking to do the same with the emblem (f/r) and the wheels. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts