Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Closed the hood today and a small black pin fell off. After looking around found where it broke off from - right front under the hood - but can't tell what this is and how critical for me to fix it soon.

It looks like the pin was pushed down by the hood when closed, now that it is not being pushed down some liquid is coming out. There is a small hose leading from the valve (that the pin used to close) going toward the back of the car, could not tell where.

I looked around online as well as in the owner manual and can't tell what this thing is. The car is 2012 Rav4 4cyl AWD.

Attached two images, one close up and another from a bit further.

Help is very much appreciated!

krax

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,143 Posts
That appears to be a spring loaded pin for the alarm system. If the hood were opened with alarm armed the siren would go off. My car has the same. Should be a simple replacement. No idea about the liquid.

Reactions: krax

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all! This is exactly what it looks like. I do have a remote starter but not an alarm.

The liquid does look very much connected to it though, I wonder what it can possibly be.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Thank you all! This is exactly what it looks like. I do have a remote starter but not an alarm.

The liquid does look very much connected to it though, I wonder what it can possibly be.

Thanks again!
If you can see or feel underneath that broken pin, make sure there's just a wire connected to it. (not a hose!:confused:)

·
Super Moderator
10,224 Posts
From the liquid it seems it must have a hose attached not a wire. "Going toward the back of the car" makes me think of air shocks or bags but there'd be no liquid, just air. Looks like you'll have to follow the hose. Might be interesting where it does go.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
What is connected to the part on the underside of where it is mounted? Is it a wire, perhaps contained in insulation? Or is it a rubber-type hose? There appears to be some sort of liquid residue surrounding the exposed area where the part is located. But the entire frontal area and the battery appear to have been sprayed with some sort of liquid like salt water brine. Whatever else needs to be done, at least that material on the battery and connections needs to be cleaned or there likely will be other problems which will develop in addition to the broken part.

·
Super Moderator
10,224 Posts
Whether it's a wire or hose it is something that's been added by drilling a hole for it so the liquid could be over-spray of some kind of rust inhibitor that's been there from the start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone! You have really helped.

I took it apart and there is only a single wire there, no hoses, what looked like a hose is just a wire protector. I think Dr. Dyno is correct as to the source of the liquid. The installer who put in the remote starter drilled a pretty large whole in the metal, now the water from under the car has somewhere to go to and probably spreading road dirt plus whatever is sprayed under the car on the top of the hood.

Once I replace the pin switch I'll also try to plug this big hole with something. Cleaned the battery too, this might be a different problem as I've never noticed it being this dirty before.

Thank you!

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Since that RAV is 2012 I would doubt that the residue is from rust inhibitor. The drilled hole might be able to be closed off by installing a large grommet or the like - we can buy parts like that from our local Ace Hardware. There may be another aftermarket-drilled hole as well since there is a lot of apparently sprayed or splashed-on residue, or some other source for it. I've not seen that much residue in my or other RAV engine compartments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts