Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I do. Hope it's not that bad of a problem. Secondly, my runs down easily when the A.C is on without the car moving for a few minutes to an hour.

·
Registered
342 Posts
There's a whole thread already dedicated to this. Basically have a code scanner hooked up and get the stored codes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. But how do I get a good code scanner(OBD11) since we don't have Toyota dealers here in Nigeria, precisely Port Harcourt, Rivers state?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Depending on autopart stores, here in the states they will typically read codes for free. If that's not an option where you are and you have an Android phone, you can buy a BT obd2 reader and use the TorquePro app to read the codes and clear them...or buy a obd2 code scanner for $50-80 online.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
A code scanner will not do any good unless you can fix cars and have all the tools. For someone like yourself take it to a mechanic or ask a friend that can fix cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a service recall related to this issue. It gives the list of parts required, and it works as I had to do this myself. I tried looking for it but can't find it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
What should I do. Hope it's not that bad of a problem. Secondly, my runs down easily when the A.C is on without the car moving for a few minutes to an hour.
There is a service recall related to this issue. It gives the list of parts required, and it works as I had to do this myself. I tried looking for it but can't find it.
You can determine this just because OP has a CEL and Rav4 runs down when AC is on?

·
Registered
342 Posts
A code scanner will not do any good unless you can fix cars and have all the tools. For someone like yourself take it to a mechanic or ask a friend that can fix cars.
True, but for the cost of a scanner, some tools and depending on the necessary part, may be cheaper than taking it to a mechanic. Need to get the codes identified first then decide what to do. If that means go to a mechanic, then do so but have them show you the codes - so hopefully they don't try to pull a fast one on you.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Look at T-SB-0046-10
Thats a HUGE jump to assume that the EVAP system is the problem from what the OP stated...

Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION
Service Bulletin Number : TSB-0046-10 Date of Bulletin : JAN 28, 2010
NHTSA Item Number : 10033407
Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
Summary :
TOYOTA: MIL ON; FUEL IN EVAP SYSTEM. SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS DUE TO FUEL IN THE EVAP SYSTEMS: MIL ON WITH THE FOLLOWING DTCS STORED: P043E, P043F, P2401, P2401, AND P2419; INTERMITTENT ROUGH IDLE WHEN AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE. *PE

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depending on autopart stores, here in the states they will typically read codes for free. If that's not an option where you are and you have an Android phone, you can buy a BT obd2 reader and use the TorquePro app to read the codes and clear them...or buy a obd2 code scanner for $50-80 online.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really appreciate your advice. I hope to get the scanner so that can fix this. But before then can I still be using my RAV? Hope it won't cause any further damage? Or should just park it untill I get it fix?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I really appreciate your advice. I hope to get the scanner so that can fix this. But before then can I still be using my RAV? Hope it won't cause any further damage? Or should just park it untill I get it fix?
Thats tough to say, I've driven with the CEL on before but only because i knew what the codes meant and it wasn't harmful to drive. Not knowing the codes would worry me. I'd at minimum drive somewhere to have the codes read ASAP or order a scanner and read them ASAP. Driving with CEL "COULD" cause problems - driving with them at your (and your Rav4s) own risk.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks. But how do I get a good code scanner(OBD11) since we don't have Toyota dealers here in Nigeria, precisely Port Harcourt, Rivers state?
Using Google Maps, i looked up a business listed as a "Toyota Dealer" in that area. Can't speak to the business at all but hopefully thats a start.

Amakon World Wide Solution Co.
Stadium Rd, Rumuola, Port Harcourt, Nigeria
+234 803 889 6515

·
Registered
342 Posts
Here's another

Mandilas Enterprises Limited
85, Trans Amadi Layout, Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Mike Nwafor
Phone: 07065224425; 08023389234

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks so much. I am so grateful. Being here is a huge blessing to me. I will contact them by tomorrow. Hope they are opened. Some of them have closed down for the festivity till 3rd of January 2020. But this will help thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem on my 06 with three warning lights staying on. I unplugged the computer and cleaned the connector with alcohol. No more lights and that was 5 years ago.

·
Registered
223 Posts
"check engine, 4wheel, and VSC lights" on mine were due to a faulty gas cap...

·
Registered
342 Posts
"check engine, 4wheel, and VSC lights" on mine were due to a faulty gas cap...
And on mine it was:

First time: MAF out of range
Second time: Bank 1 cat out of range of efficiency.
Third time: Bank 2 cat out of range of efficiency.
Fourth time: Idle control issue

Point being, these lights are the DEFAULT alerts for the Rav4 CEL. Until you get the codes read, they could have hundreds of different meanings.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good point. I tried the cap first as it was easy and cheap. Lucked out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts