Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
"check engine, 4wheel, and VSC lights" on mine were due to a faulty gas cap...
Same for me. It happened three times over 12 months. I just tightened the gas cap each. Sometimes it took hours to reset, but it eventually solved the problem.

After it happened the third time, I replaced the gas cap (Part # 77300-06040) and it hasn't happened again since - that was 2 years ago.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had this condition, those 3 warning lights lit, maybe 3-5 times for no apparent reason (i.e. not after a fuel fill-up) on my 4-cyl 2012 RAV4 Limited (bought used with 72k miles on it). The lights went off of their own accord each time; sometimes it took a bunch of startups / days. So it's a mystery to me, but I am not concerned. Happy to say that I haven't had the condition lately.
If the CEL were to start flashing, then I'd be concerned and would pull to the side of the road.
HTH.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had these come on myself. Finally found posts to change the oil and oil filter even if fairly recently done. Stopped my problem until literally just today.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had these come on myself. Finally found posts to change the oil and oil filter even if fairly recently done. Stopped my problem until literally just today.
I'd suggest opening and closing the gas cap and waiting 24 hours before changing the oil. When I phoned a Toyota dealership the first time in happened, they told me it was probably the gas cap and that it was fine to keep driving with the lightson. I re-tightened the gas cap, and the following morning the lights were gone.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts