Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
To be clear you mention that you where told they now use "stainless steel material" as part of the fix, there was a "recall" 馃
Yes, that is what i was told by service manager at local toyota service. She also said that toyota would not be able to sale the car if the problem had not been fixed. I then asked if i needed to bring it in and have them check to see if my rav had the SS cover since it was ordered in June 2022, built in Japan and came over in July, when the alleged recall was out. She said no. Yes, I am still going to have it looked at when I take it in for the plates, just to be sure.

Registered
I have heard that the 2022 RAV4 goes back to 2019 model with some updates (or not... hello dependent cable apple play).

Starting with 2019 Rav 4 Hybrid, please share the mechanical problems or other things that had to be replaced or fixed since you have owned the car. Was the problem covered by Toyota care 36K/3yr plan?

Thanks
FWIW, I had a 2020 RAV4 LE hybrid assembled in Japan, which I got rid of because:
1. The cruise control stopped working twice. Turning the car off and on rebooted it.
2. It suffered the mysterious 12 V battery drain that I had little confidence Toyota's update may or may not have fixed. I bought a 12v charger pack to carry any time I parked overnight somewhere besides my home.
3. After two long road trips, the braking system would randomly chirp and tweet loudly repeatedly for a few days after the road trip, whether or not the vehicle was on or off. I'd get in the car, touch the brake pedal and "WOOP", start driving it, touch the brake pedal and, "WOOP"!!
4. I did have the gas tank issue but they fixed that.
5. The speedometer had a 2 to 3 mph error, that the dealer told me was "normal". Well, no other car ever owned disagreed that much with the GPS in my phone and my radar detector..
6. Not really a defect or a malfunction but it's brutally stiff ride made the entire vehicle a symphony of creaks, rattles and groans that drove me nuts.
7. One of those rattles I finally determined was due to the fact that the thin flimsy inner leading edge of the rear bumper that was facing forward was literally continuously flapping in the underbody windstream at highway speeds.
Hooray for the crazy used car market, I sold it back to the dealer for $500 less than I paid for it after 18 months and 23,000+ miles. Good riddance.

Registered
Thank you for this concern. I called my local dealer and they said there was a recall on this issue around July 2022. They said they replaced the clamp that corrodes with stainless steel material. Since I got my car in Aug, she assured me that my new car would have SS clamp. I will have it checked to make sure.
Can you share more info on that recall about replacing the clamp?? It'd be helpful if you can get the recall # or TSB #?

Update: I just called my local dealers and they know nothing about that recall, and I also use the online service and punch in both of my cars, and it didn't show any active recall for them either. So, it'd be helpful if you can get the recall # or TSB # from the advisor. 馃檹

Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
To be clear you mention that you where told they now use "stainless steel material" as part of the fix, there was a "recall" 馃
Maybe a change in manufacturing specifications for newly assembled vehicles. Nothing heard on a US "recall".

Registered
that seems incorrect. there are already pictures on these forums of the new open connector, with a rusted looking clamp under it

the braid itself does not seem to corrode in any of these pictures, just the clamp

recall ?
my rig was made in May, zero recalls for my VIN at NHTSA or Toyota web site

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
FWIW, I had a 2020 RAV4 LE hybrid assembled in Japan, which I got rid of because:
1. The cruise control stopped working twice. Turning the car off and on rebooted it.
2. It suffered the mysterious 12 V battery drain that I had little confidence Toyota's update may or may not have fixed. I bought a 12v charger pack to carry any time I parked overnight somewhere besides my home.
3. After two long road trips, the braking system would randomly chirp and tweet loudly repeatedly for a few days after the road trip, whether or not the vehicle was on or off. I'd get in the car, touch the brake pedal and "WOOP", start driving it, touch the brake pedal and, "WOOP"!!
4. I did have the gas tank issue but they fixed that.
5. The speedometer had a 2 to 3 mph error, that the dealer told me was "normal". Well, no other car ever owned disagreed that much with the GPS in my phone and my radar detector..
6. Not really a defect or a malfunction but it's brutally stiff ride made the entire vehicle a symphony of creaks, rattles and groans that drove me nuts.
7. One of those rattles I finally determined was due to the fact that the thin flimsy inner leading edge of the rear bumper that was facing forward was literally continuously flapping in the underbody windstream at highway speeds.
Hooray for the crazy used car market, I sold it back to the dealer for $500 less than I paid for it after 18 months and 23,000+ miles. Good riddance.
Thanks for sharing and unfortunately revisiting a bad memory. Curious... did you get another Toyota? I had a Prius C for 10 yrs (Japan) and had absolutely no problems at all, sold it for 12,400 10yrs later with 90K ( your right, crazy used car market) and got the RavHybrid sticking with Japan Toyota.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
that seems incorrect. there are already pictures on these forums of the new open connector, with a rusted looking clamp under it

the braid itself does not seem to corrode in any of these pictures, just the clamp

recall ?
my rig was made in May, zero recalls for my VIN at NHTSA or Toyota web site
I will check with the service when I go in for my plates and get back with you...

Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
Thank you for this concern. I called my local dealer and they said there was a recall on this issue around July 2022. They said they replaced the clamp that corrodes with stainless steel material. Since I got my car in Aug, she assured me that my new car would have SS clamp. I will have it checked to make sure.
Has anyone been able to get the supposed T-SB number for this recall?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

The manager of the toyota service department called me and confirmed. there has NOT been a recall on the corrosion issue and he also looked up TSB and could not find anything on it for the 2022 R4Hybrids. So he told me not to worry about it. He checked my VIN and reassured me.

Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
The manager of the toyota service department called me and confirmed. there has NOT been a recall on the corrosion issue and he also looked up TSB and could not find anything on it for the 2022 R4Hybrids. So he told me not to worry about it. He checked my VIN and reassured me.
There is a version for Canadian vehicles in French. Number is T-TCI-5503. Google Translate does a good job, but takes a bit of time.

Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
There is a version for Canadian vehicles in French. Number is T-TCI-5503. Google Translate does a good job, but takes a bit of time.
Here. Apparently they issue them in both languages.

Attachments

Registered
I have heard that the 2022 RAV4 goes back to 2019 model with some updates (or not... hello dependent cable apple play).

Starting with 2019 Rav 4 Hybrid, please share the mechanical problems or other things that had to be replaced or fixed since you have owned the car. Was the problem covered by Toyota care 36K/3yr plan?

Thanks
My 2019 Hybrid Limited has a new fuel tank, then a new fuel pump, then driver seat frame repla ced, and now the Hybrid Cable to the rear motor is being replaced. all under warranty. Now at 62000 kms. no there issues at all.

Registered
realize for cable corrosion, these are not recalls, they are Technical Service Bulletins.

a recall is vastly different.

a TSB is.... customer has issue that matches the description, model, VIN, timeline in the TSB, it gets fixed free.

a recall is major....whatever VIN you have that matches, bring it in regardless of problems existing or not, we'll inspect
and verify and replace parts, or mark it as N/A in the database

21 - 35 of 35 Posts