Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2020 RAV4 hybrid few days now. Tomorrow temp is -22 and feels like -33. First time trying to plug in this vehicle. Has anyone done that ? Attached pictures how I am trying to do it. Any comments ? Hope that is correct.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have 2020 RAV4 hybrid few days now. Tomorrow temp is -22 and feels like -33. First time trying to plug in this vehicle. Has anyone done that ? Attached pictures how I am trying to do it. Any comments ? Hope that is correct.
You plug it in, what's the question?
You can put it on a "Kill-A-Watt" device to measure the draw if you want. It'll be around 300W or so.
This little heater won't be doing much after a couple hours except heating the outdoors. Recommend putting it on a timer so it comes on about 2-3 hours before you will be driving it. Don't expect much from it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for misunderstanding. It is NOT the prime RAV4.
It is RAV4 hybrid. We need to plug in vehicles in Canada when it is too cold to get vehicle start easy. I think Canadians do that all time in winter. I wonder if that is the way the RAV4 hybrid 2020 get plugged in for block heater ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
It is RAV4 hybrid. We need to plug in vehicles in Canada when it is too cold to get vehicle start easy. I think Canadians do that all time in winter. I wonder if that is the way the RAV4 hybrid 2020 get plugged in for block heater ?
I know. I am just messing with ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, that's correct. (I'm in Canada too.) My block heater is 200W, which seems a little small but maybe it's enough with the synthetic oil. The block heater on my old Matrix is 400W, but it's running conventional oil.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not so much the type of oil but the size of the block and the reservoir of water it is trying to heat. My 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid had a 400 watt engine heater and a nice 40 watt HV battery heater. After 3 years they discontinued the 40 watt battery heater as it was deemed unnecessary for NiMH. May be one reason why NiMH is still used in Hybrids. LiIon suck at cold temperatures. Also NiMH have a 1:1 charge:discharge rate. LiIon takes longer to recharge than discharge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2017 Rav4H in Saskatchewan - try and use the factory heater on a timer during the winter. Not needed for starting (traction battery is what spins the engine not 12V so hard to see it not starting) - I try and use to lessen the warm up time. In an unheated garage it makes enough of a difference to be worth doing - due to home reno's I've had to park outside last couple of weeks (two days of -30 C air temp in the morning) - pretty hard to say whether the little heater is doing anything or not..... I have to pop the hood to connect the cord - a bit annoying but less chance of forgetting its plugged in...

For me its all about trying to keep the efficiency up in the cold weather - don't really let anything warm up - at -30 overnight its a pretty cold ride for a while in the mornings - but spring is coming

FWIW

Doug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts