Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2022 RAV4 prime and love it. Sometimes when I have a very active first half of the day I deplete the EV range. Does the manual give any advice on whether there’s any downside to plugging it in mid day for just a few hours into a standard 120 V outlet? In my case that would only give it a partial charge, perhaps for another 10 or 15 miles for EV. Any guidance? Thanks all!

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
545 Posts
You can plug it in whenever you want. If you have a schedule set and it won’t change just insert the plug and remove and reinsert to override the schedule. I usually remove after I hear the charger click but they say two seconds or something like that.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
889 Posts
No. The battery is actually happiest with a partial charge.
Exactly. Lithium-Ion batteries are actually more resilient than some people might perceive them to be. The biggest thing that will accelerate LiOn deterioration is keeping it at a high state of charge for long periods of time, hence why charging schedules are recommended whenever possible.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE PP
971 Posts
I even have some gardening equipment which after a month of not being used will actively discharge the battery to about 60% for storage.
My Ego charger goes to maintenance mode after one month. Bleeds the battery and parks it at 40%.

This is something I wish the Prime would implement: a vacation mode. Plug it in low, it maintains 40% charge on traction battery and float charges the 12V. Why does Toyota not do it, is beyond me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This article suggests the following:
1. Avoid charging the battery to its maximum (which the R4P does automatically) - State of Charge (SOC) max in this article. When the RAV4 says it's at 100% it's more like 90%. Same for 0%.
2. Avoid deep discharges (Depth of Discharge, DOD, in this article), which the R4P does automatically.
3. 1 charge per day is better than 2, which is better than 3, etc.
4. Keeping the battery at rest at max charge is less than ideal. Just in time charging is better -- i.e. use the R4P Scheduled Departure option.

Reactions: ReverendRides

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don’t know the impact on the battery, but if you choose to not charge twice in a day and end up using the vehicle in hybrid mode, the car will continually get a small charge and then discharge it through the normal hybrid regenerative braking / discharge cycle. The car can handle frequent recharge cycles even if not to full.

Avoiding charging also puts more wear and tear on the gas engine, especially with short trips in the winter. My advice would be to try to start each trip with as much EV range as you can get unless you are consciously trying to run the gas engine on purpose to cycle fuel etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts