Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased one of the plug in volt meters with two built in USB ports. It appears to be built out of billet aluminum and very well made. It plugs into the 12 volt outlet near the phone charging mat. This make reading the voltage easy. It is interesting to see the fluctuation of the voltage during start up and while driving. Mine seems to vacillate between 12.7 and 12.8 volts once it is started and moving down the road. At start up the voltage will drop down to 11.9 volts but quickly jumps up to 12.7 or 12.8. I haven't tried the USB ports.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Are you sure it's reading right? I've got a similar one to yours (but not the same brand) and when the car is running, it reads that the alternator is putting out around 13.8 to 14.2V with the engine idling. 12.8V is just regular freshly charged battery voltage with the engine off.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Same here.
Are you sure it's reading right? I've got a similar one to yours (but not the same brand) and when the car is running, it reads that the alternator is putting out around 13.8 to 14.2V with the engine idling. 12.8V is just regular freshly charged battery voltage with the engine off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to check it again. Next trip out I'll get the wife to drive so I can watch the meter.
Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased one of the plug in volt meters with two built in USB ports. It appears to be built out of billet aluminum and very well made. It plugs into the 12 volt outlet near the phone charging mat. This make reading the voltage easy. It is interesting to see the fluctuation of the voltage during start up and while driving. Mine seems to vacillate between 12.7 and 12.8 volts once it is started and moving down the road. At start up the voltage will drop down to 11.9 volts but quickly jumps up to 12.7 or 12.8. I haven't tried the USB ports.
Mine sits around 14.3 Sounds like your battery has one bad cell. Time to replace-

Power outlets.jpg

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the wife drive so I could better see the voltage meter. Mine is in the 14.3 range also. I did test the USB ports and they both seemed to function well.
Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts