Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

PO741 VSC, 4WD, engine light BUT performance and shifting are no different

1069 10
My 2007 RAV4 is a 4 cylinder 4WD and has 228,000 miles on it, has lights lit on the dash: VSC, 4WD and check engine. The diagnostic code is PO741, However, the engine performance and shifting are no different. I am thinking that the code is due to somewhere in the wiring there is an error keeping the TCC from engaging.

I have parked it and I have been driving my second vehicle. But I am thinking about just driving it with the lights on the dash. Any ideas about how to proceed?

The vehicle and Toyota rebuilt the engine a few years ago at no cost to me due to oil leakage. It has rust and dents. But is has been reliable and cheap to operate.
Advance Auto Parts showed me a solenoid for $383, but it looks like lots of work to get at in and there are four solenoids so which one is the bad one? Too much work for me to take it apart, find the bad one and replace it. I have an independent mechanic I used to replace O2 sensor and some other stuff, but it seems like it could be hundreds of dollars. So far I have noticed anything negative. Should I just drive it till it quits and junk it?
Reactions: Hoop4
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
You're the only one who could make that decision. Just throwing parts at it without knowing what's bad is a waste. Either have a shop diagnose and/or fix it, or like you say just drive it till the end.
IMO fix the vehicle and have it diagnosed at a shop (no repair). The shop will tell you (ask to be sure) what degree of certainty they have with their diagnostic and if they're willing to bet their reputation and payment on the line. They can't always be sure but they can make a list of interconnected systems and likely trouble points. I have paid for professional diagnostic then moved on to DIY repair myself. Don't lose the savings that DIY brings by throwing unnecessary inferior aftermarket parts at a perfectly good system.

I think no VSC means no traction control which could be disastrous in winter. Any accident will negate any repair savings I say as a very frugal person.

·
Super Moderator
12,451 Posts
Have you reset the codes and seen how quick they come back?

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
The factory service manual will list the diagnosis tree based on the code you reported. Some codes have a crazy long trouble shooting route, others not so bad. BUT, proper diagnosis is critical, otherwise viva la parts cannon.

I don't think Chilton/Haynes provide the same diagnosis tree.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The factory service manual will list the diagnosis tree based on the code you reported. Some codes have a crazy long trouble shooting route, others not so bad. BUT, proper diagnosis is critical, otherwise viva la parts cannon.

I don't think Chilton/Haynes provide the same diagnosis tree.
I spent a few research on the Internet yesterday. PO741 is either Torque Convert Clutch circuit performance OR stiuck in OFF.
One source said "somewhere in the wiring there is an error keeping the TCC from engaging."

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
1,930 Posts
P0741 codes can be caused by

Low transmission fluid level
Dirty transmission fluid
Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve
Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness or connectors
Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit is open or shorted
Transmission internal mechanical problem

Do you know the tranny service history? I would check the tranny oil level and condition first, and if it is low/dirty, change the oil and filter. It could be the dirty oil has clogged the solenoid filter BTW.

I would also do a visual inspection of the harness from the tranny to the ECU - look for damage or green crusties on the wires or connectors.

After this, you are probably looking at internal work

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
P0741 codes can be caused by

Low transmission fluid level
Dirty transmission fluid
Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve
Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness or connectors
Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit is open or shorted
Transmission internal mechanical problem

Do you know the tranny service history? I would check the tranny oil level and condition first, and if it is low/dirty, change the oil and filter. It could be the dirty oil has clogged the solenoid filter BTW.

I would also do a visual inspection of the harness from the tranny to the ECU - look for damage or green crusties on the wires or connectors.

After this, you are probably looking at internal work
Thanks Bigphil555 that is good advice to start simple things like low fluid level. I know the service history because I have owned it since 74,000. I had the tranny flushed in 2015. Checking the harness is a good idea. I will have to look it to see where it is. THANKS for the HELP

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue! Did you ever figure it out? I've driven my rav4 3k miles with these lights on and throwing the same code. Oddly the cruise control stopped working around the same time. Car is running fine but I need to sort this out. I'd sure appreciate hearing if you found a solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts